Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard from some string makers that it is good to put the string under tension (300 pounds being ideal) and let it set for 2 or 3 days. Is it best to put the serving on before or after letting the string set?

Also, am I supposed to have the string under 300# of tension while twisting it, or can I twist it then put it under tension?

Thanks again to everybody! -Chris

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
serve after streching, but under 300#'s as well, and I twist under 200#'s
Yeap, that sounds about right for what I do also.

and there's no need to stretch under tension for days, 20-30mins tops :thumbs_up

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I talked w/ Bob from BCY at great length about this a few weeks ago at Nationals. He contends that anything more than 20-30 minutes you are just wasting your time.

IMO, it is far more important to get the tension even between the strands in the bundle so they act as a cohesive unit rather than to have some over and others under tension in the final product.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I talked w/ Bob from BCY at great length about this a few weeks ago at Nationals. He contends that anything more than 20-30 minutes you are just wasting your time.

IMO, it is far more important to get the tension even between the strands in the bundle so they act as a cohesive unit rather than to have some over and others under tension in the final product.
x's 2 I also spoke with Bob about this 20 - 30 minutes is all you need to stretch.

I also twist under 200# of tension and serve under 300# of tension

1 - 5 of 5 Posts