Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to buy a set of two-way radios. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was considering either Cobras or Motorolas. Wal-Mart has both kind at relative fair prices. The terrain is mountainous where I live. I was going to get either the 5 or 7 mile range radios.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I have had the Motorola talkabouts for 4 years with not one problem....mine are the 2 mile range....we also hunt in the mountains.....with the motorolas we have never had any problems talking within 2-3 miles......some others guys in our camp had general electric, cobra and radio shack and in the mountains at one half mile we could not understand them and they said our transmissions were garbled after a few trips they also bought motorolas so we could communicate with them...so I have seen this scenario in action ....instead of buying something else and then rebuying...purchase one set!!!!--motorolas.....and I'm sure the 5 mile range radio are much better than ours but when we do have to upgrade that is what we will get.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I have both Motorola and Cobras. Both work fine, but the Motorolas have more features, more range, and seem better made. Buy right the first time.

Dan

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Motorola. I've had mine for 2 years & no problems. Good Luck.

Shoot Str8 >>----> (x)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Radios

It depends on how much you want to spend. I have both also but the Motorola seems to be a little bit better from a quality standpoint. Also, the belt clip on the Motorola is much better...it actually swivels and is detachable with the clip staying on your belt or backpack for fast retrieval.

The T7200 Motorola is about as good as it gets if you have about $119? I also use the T6320 which has the weather alerts and temperature guage etc.

Here are a couple of links to consider?

http://www.discountfamilyradios.com/frs.htm

http://www.garmin.com/products/rino/

I'm trying the Rino 110 this year with the FRS/GMRS radio and GPS in one unit.

Lane

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I have both Motorola and Cobra, both seem good and the Cobras have rechargable batteries that have their own recharging cradle, they both stand upright in it, like some cordless phones these days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also have motorola and think they are great. mine is the 2 mile version which i got at wallmart on sale 2 years ago. reception very good in wooded terrain where i hunt in ny. we used them in the selway in idaho and almost 100% there as well. One bit of advice, get a push-to-talk earpiece and microphone for your setup. costs about $20 but then you can keep it on and dont get an incoming call at the worst moment when that big buck approaches. thats my setup, works like a charm

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would also take a look at the Garmin Rhino's.... Its a two way radio and a GPS.... so if you or your buddy gets lost you can find each other because they have the ability to send to each other their coordinates....

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
From a bells and whistles stand point, the Garmin Rhinos are tops, a GPS and a communicator in one. I've read the communicator portion is less than top drawer.

I've got a 5 year old set of Mororolas. Flawless performance. I use a really cheap earphone from Radio Shack in them. Works great.

If they are in range to work, my son in law and I prefer our cell fones. Voice Mail, and vibrating alert make these extra nice.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The ones that say they are up to two miles you don't need a license for, anything over like the five mile distance ones you will need to apply for a FCC License to be legal out there. I have a set of the first Talkabouts that came out with and bought them to use on a bear Hunt to keep in contact with my hunting partner but when we put in our stands they were of little use he was 10 miles away. We use them for deer hunting and the only time you have problems is when the batteries are getting low but other than that they work great

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
i carry a motorola when i go out on my own and leave the other at home so the wife can hear me in an emergency , we used the cobra's at work and they just weren't as good .i've had the motorolas for five years now and not a problem one. i got mine at kmart i believe. :D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
One of my buddies tried the midlands but couldn't not understand us and could not transmit so he chuncked them and got some motorolas.... now he can talk to us and understand us....there is a difference in quality and when you are in the woods on your own why risk not being heard by your camp budddies if you get in trouble

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the Rino 120 from Garmin and absolutely love it. The rino has alot of features GPS, 5 mile channels, best times to hunt, Sun and moon times, Vibrate mode ect.... Might be over kill but if you ever go to the big woods it is nice to follow your tracks out.
Was a pricey toy at $249

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like motorolas are the best.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts