Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started shooting again two weeks ago. I started with just shooting at the back stop to get the feel back and to work on form. The next week I started to focus and aim at a target. First day I shot well, then I continually have gotten worse. I had some of the guys at the proshop watch me shoot, and they can't see anything as far as form is concerned. My groups are not where I would like them at this point. Any advice would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance

Eric

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Keep practicing?? Just don't concentrate on what your trying to do, just relax and shoot. Sometimes once you start trying too hard,, you'll get a couple flyers that go way out of your grouping. Just think about a clean release and don't worry so much about what your grouping is going to be and you should be fine :thumbs_up

·
Registered
470 Posts
you might want to try shooting at closer than normal ranges to build your confidence back up, liek start at 10 yards and work yoru way back from there, has worked for other i know, especially those with target panic, Good luck and welcome back :smile:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
What are your practicing for? If it is hunting and the bow is reasonable tuned and you have good form, then the only possible reason is shot execusion. Or in other words, you are moving off your aiming point at the moment of release.

This probably is caused by your bow hand or grip, or if you are punching the release, or both. If you are not using a bow sling, do. Try to shoot with a completely open hand and with the pressure of the bow grip in the ball of your thumb area.

Work on a blank bale for a while concentrating on that. Don't even shoot any arrows. Then try the same thing aiming. Once you have it down, repeat it a little longer until you are absolutely sure. Then start working with the bale with the release again. After you are confortable with all of these positions start practicing again. I lke to shoot five-spot and keep score, just to see if I am improving or staying the same.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys, I sure appricate the help. I will give these suggestions a shot and see if I get some improvement. Deezlin I do have my bow tuned, but I think you are right about shot execution. Thanks you all again.

Eric

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Have you considered that maybe you just need practice?? If you just recently started shooting for 2 weeks after a break, you may need to tinker around to "find your shot"....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.