Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have never been to one of these major shoots. So my question is how late does it get over on Sunday?:confused: I am already watching airline prices so I can jump on a good deal when I see one. I need to know what time we will get out of there on Sunday. I guess the best place to fly into is Houston and drive up??

·
Registered
956 Posts
the organizers have it down to a science, of sorts. I think the final arrows were shot around 2pm. If you fly out of college station, you could shoot the last arrow in the gold medal match, at 2pm, awards done by 3, and board by 4pm. The CS airport is less than 5 minutes from the field.

Note the driving distance from CS to the airports in Houston and Austin are roughly the same, but that part of the driving to Houston involves well, Houston traffic. :)

Houston airfare probably will average less price-wise due to the number of airlines serving, but there are frequent promos that can make CS a good deal esp. if you are pressed for time. If you are coming all the way to Texas, using Austin gives you the option of picking up some live music entertainment that is the best on the planet. Check the listings on auschron.com, fer example. Just saw Asleep at the Wheel at the ACL Fest Friday, from 50 feet away, while lounging on the grass and drinking beer. gotta love Austin. Lindsey saw Willie yesterday likewise.

for pics of the last shootout, to get an idea of what the shoot is like, use this link: http://texasarchery.org/Photos/Shootout2006/Shootout06Index.htm

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. That helps alot. Can you tell me what airlines service CS so I can keep a watch out?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found some flights into College Station. I will have to watch the rates though, it cost more then $100 each to fly there over Houston.

·
Genesis 21:20
21,775 Posts
Note the driving distance from CS to the airports in Houston and Austin are roughly the same, but that part of the driving to Houston involves well, Houston traffic.
Hey Ron, you gotta admit that Austin traffic can hold it's own with most major cities these days ;)

But at least the Austin airport is on the southeast side of town...

John.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Hoytemgood said:
Thanks for the info. That helps alot. Can you tell me what airlines service CS so I can keep a watch out?
I have been shooting the TX Shootout for about three years now - two of which I flew into College Station (Easterwood Airport) http://www.tamu.edu/easterwoodairport/

The two airlines that service that airport are American Eagle and Continental Connection (yes, it is a small airport). Never had any issues flying in or out. I flew out of Houston this past spring and still was able to catch a 6 pm flight back home on Sunday with about 20 min to spare.

Any other questions give me a shout. Where are you flying from?

~Scoobs~

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Its been awhile for me, but I flew in and out of Houston once for the TX Shootout. I seem to recall having a mid-evening flight, like maybe 7:30pm or 8:00pm-ish, and had no problems getting back to Houston with plenty of time to spare (and that was after going all the way through the shoot-off and waiting for awards :)). Maybe things have changed in the past several years, but driving in and out of the Houston airport didn't seem to be any kind of problem on a Sunday later afternoon. I seem to recall the airport was far enough on the outskirts of town and the direction in from CS didn't require you to cross town so I didn't really run into anything I'd consider traffic.

But that was several years ago so things could have changed somewhat....

>>------>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts