Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say we have a low bevel pyramid style 1 1/4” cut VPA and a QAD 1 1/4” cut head.

Now these heads both have been sharpened to a mirror finish. The QAD will “feel sharper” but the VPA will still shave hairs as well.

What are your thoughts on what gives a better blood trail? My experience has been slightly in favor of the QAD for blood but the deer seem to go a bit further than the VPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I hear this a lot. This broadhead leaves a better blood trail than this brand. I mean if both are the same size,hit the same spot, and are sharp enough to shave hairs, how in the world is there gonna be much of a difference?

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Unless one shoots a large number of animals with both, I don’t think you ever will know.
In my view, shot placement both in terms of cutting heavy blood hemmoraging vitals and having a low exit hole are more important than whether it’s a 2,3,4 blade or 1“ or 1,5” or.... cut.
You will get lots of opinions here, those opinions and mine are probably worth what you paid for them.
Shoot to kill.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I just had this discussion with a friend yesterday. I’ve shot both chinadermics and slicktrick mags. Both were sharpened to shave hairs. I’ve had deer run 150 yds with double lung with both heads and also had them drop in 30/40 yds with both. Too many variables to ever know. I’ll stick with my fixed heads sharpened to shave hairs for my set up.

·
Beer Whisperer
11,069 Posts
Stand 10 deer up broadside and shoot all 10 in the same exact spot with the same broadhead and I believe you’d see 10 different results in blood trails. As stated before, there’s WAY too many variables in every shot to say what’s better.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
As long as its sharp and you are comparing similar size heads, the broadhead has almost nothing to do with the blood trail.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mostly agree with all of the above but a fillet knife with a very steep angle certainly cuts differently that a pocket knife honed for durability.

My thought is could a pyramid style although very sharp not slice as quickly and therefore push materials to the side that a thin replaceable head might cut through.

I know i am over thinking all this, it’s very hypocritical but my mind likes to go on these tangents. This post is more thinking out loud than a actual question.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Stand 10 deer up broadside and shoot all 10 in the same exact spot with the same broadhead and I believe you’d see 10 different results in blood trails. As stated before, there’s WAY too many variables in every shot to say what’s better.

Exactly

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Your way over thinking this one. Hit the right spot with a sharp head and watch em flop.

·
Registered
804 Posts
If you hit the deer in the RIGHT spot the broadhead doesnt matter

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I don't care if a deer travels 30 or 150 yards. after the shot, result is a dead deer. Put the arrow in the boiler room and you'll like the result. I was a Slick Trick fan for years. Shot a ton off deer with them. This year I switched to the Rage Trypan. Blood trails were like throwing a bucket of paint through the woods. Deer still traveled the same distance but was trailing was so simple that I didn't have to put my glasses on.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
People here severely over rate the importance of broadhead style, at least in regards to deer. Worry about putting it where it belongs. Any head on the market will zip right through a deers ribcage and bloodtrails will be very similar, all leading to a dead deer.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I think this is spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/Q

·
Beer Whisperer
11,069 Posts
Exit hole with a 1” cut ST standard on a doe I shot last week. Notice the lung plugging the hole. i shot her at ground level so the entrance was same level and she bled like crazy on that side but had this been an elevated shot with a high entrance and same exact exit the blood wouldn’t have been nearly the same.

Would it be the Heads fault? Heck no but that’s just an example of the many variables that can happen.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts

Very true, I believe the VPA will penetrate easier( farther ) then the QAD due to blade angle and true cut on contact head, and a slightly narrower feral. But when both blow through there targets there really is not an issue here. If both heads hit exactly the same spot, blades rotated exactly the same way, animal reacts while arrow is passing through exactly the same, they should leave equal amount of blood. Edge retention may go to the exodus, and could have an effect. Vein, artery gets cut instead of rolls or pushed away. But the vpas seem to hold an edge pretty well. I feel confident using either of these two heads 100%.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The hog was standing in the water where this trail started.

As I found her at 30 yds or so.

Flipped her over:

BH was a Bear Razorhead, 525-gr total weight at 238-240 fps. The gut protruding from its flank was the entry wound, and the exit is at the nock of the arrow in the last pic--in the off-side armpit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts