Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am a bit of a bonehead...

I was shooting at my block yesterday, the backstop being my detached garage. I had a momentary sneezing attack, damn sinus infection, while at full draw. In a effort to let down, I happened to release the arrow. it missed the block a few inches high. When I came to, all I saw was a small slit in the garage wall. Oops. That was the least of it. The arrow had proceded to pass through the garage wall, through a tub of all purpose grease, then it made its way through 3 quarts of motor oil and came to rest, stuck into a wooden shelf after, of course, knocking it and all it contents off my bench....into a pool of greasy oil. You can imagine the mess....

So, my question is, how do you remove a delightful mixture of grease and motoroil from an arrow, broadhead, and vanes so that it may return to my quiver?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
whew !

(1)a bunch of denatured alcohol.

(2)light bath with non-abrasive soaps

(3)most likely refletch {depending on the condition of your vanes}

(4)if that doesn't work then save that one for the groundhog shoots.

camoham

·
Registered
603 Posts
Any commercial degreaser will suffice.

PS
Don't miss your target and you won't have to do this again and you won't have to come up with another outlandish excuse as to why you missed.:darkbeer:

3L

·
Registered
834 Posts
here ya go

SIMPLE GREEN....full strength...

you won't have to refletch or anything... we use this stuff everyday at work for grease and oil and other petro products

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
Funny story. Funniest thing is you seem more concerned about the arrow than the hole in the siding.

I'd try some kind of contact cleaner/degreaser spray. Something like a can of gun scrubber should do the trick.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3L_Archer said:
Don't miss your target and you won't have to do this again and you won't have to come up with another outlandish excuse as to why you missed.:darkbeer:
what fun would that be :darkbeer:

seriously though, just went from a wrist strap to a t handle with thumb trigger. pulled the trigger when letting down...:eek:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
YEAH,YEAH THAT'S IT I SNEEZED WHEN I SHOT A HOLE IN MY POLE BARN.....WISH I WOULD OF THOUGHT OF THAT MYSELF......:confused:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, the stinger, cx300 and blazers are in fine condition after its harrowing ordeal, just a bit slick and smelly.

I'll give the SG a try.

Thanks

·
Registered
898 Posts
If it were me, I'd clean it up and consider it another practice arrow.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
i would think any liquid dishsoap would work. they are degreasers

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
gfish said:
Ok, so I am a bit of a bonehead...

I was shooting at my block yesterday, the backstop being my detached garage. I had a momentary sneezing attack, damn sinus infection, while at full draw. In a effort to let down, I happened to release the arrow. it missed the block a few inches high. When I came to, all I saw was a small slit in the garage wall. Oops. That was the least of it. The arrow had proceded to pass through the garage wall, through a tub of all purpose grease, then it made its way through 3 quarts of motor oil and came to rest, stuck into a wooden shelf after, of course, knocking it and all it contents off my bench....into a pool of greasy oil. You can imagine the mess....

So, my question is, how do you remove a delightful mixture of grease and motoroil from an arrow, broadhead, and vanes so that it may return to my quiver?

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I'm sorry but I visualized as I read your post and that is funny!

Take some 5-56 and spray the heavy crap off, then use alcohol and then my homemade scent killer :wink:

·
Registered
459 Posts
What are your garage walls made of?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jer7440 said:
What are your garage walls made of?
Its a 1920's detached one car garage. Just couple of 1x8s and 80 years of paint...

Thanks for the tips. I got it pretty clean with Simple green, but cant seem to get rid of the grease smell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts