Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I bought some Ulmer edge 125 grain to try. Needless to say they fly perfectly but I was yet to try them out on any game. This last weekend I finally got to use one on a small eating size sow. I was actually out stalking for deer when I came across a small pack on pigs. I spotted them at about 80 m and did a slow stalk into 30. The pig gave me close to broadside shot and the arrow flew true. I saw the impact and to my surprise the arrow caught on the fletches on the exit only to fall out 10 m later. The pig made it less than 20 m and the blood trail was very good.

The only thing that got me baffled was the fact that I did not have a clean pass through. I shoot a #77 bowtech insanity CPXL and a 510 grain Vap arrow and this is the first time my arrow haven't gone clean through. I do not blame the broad head in any way as it did more than I asked for with perfect result. I should also mention that I always sharpen my broadhead straight out of the package as I normally can get a little bit better edge on my KME sharpener.

When I broke down the carcass I found that I had cut 2 ribs on the way in and crushed one rib (most likely the trocar tip) and cut another on exit. I also clipped the edge of the shoulder blade on exit. Double lung shot making holes in the front of the lung.

What I learnt from this is:

1. I prefer a COC leading blade as surely the must be more efficient to cut ribs rather than crush.
2. The ulmer edge pivoting system works perfect as you can see with the shoulder blade. Due to the angel and size of the exit I know that the blades pivoted just fine.
3. People ask why I shoot as heavy bow and arrow as I do. Here is the evidence... Because I can and it is nice to have a bit of extra power when needed. (This was only a small pig)
4. I will use the Ulmer edge again and would be happy to recommend it. However my QAD Exodus have first go. I also have some COC gravediggers on their way to try.
5. Young pigs taste fanastic. Consomme for entree, and ribs for main last night.

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Nice report! They would definitely be behind my Exodus and Grave Diggers.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Nice ow loose are heads when open

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The blades swivel freely when deployed. The arrow may have hit the ground but I doubt it. I shot from the ground and it was soft soil/grass in the area.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not having a pass-through is weird. I've hit 3 this year. All 3 pass throughs. Shooting 58# Elite Pure with 385-grain arrow. Mine were buried in the dirt. Unfortunately all 3 of mine hit rocks with the blades, but changed them out and good to go again! Congrats on the kill.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I shot a doe 2 nights ago with the Ulmer edge.Had blood for 15yds then just stopped. Found her about 80yds away,with a pool of blood under her body. A little on the fence about this head.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Deer farmer, I read your post and I cannot see how the Ulmer edge will deflect more than any other head. I bet the deer moved before The arrow made contact.

·
Registered
18,676 Posts
Thanks. I'm hoping to find out here in a couple of hours.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts