Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an Ultimate Steel Broadhead with a 1” cutting dia. from Bear Archery last week for writing a review.

Have been busy getting ready for MI’s opening day Oct. 1st so must apologize for not being as prompt as I should have been.

My first inspection gave me the impression that it was a very good quality well built, all steel, three blade, low profile Broadhead. The ferrule has been plated brass or bronze color.

The three blades are vented with two round holes in each blade and are very sharp but the edge appears to have been touched up by hand as the angle is not consistent across the length of the blade.

When removing the insert that the Broadhead had been shipped with the blades all fell out. They are held in by an adapter with a slight under cut on the front.

The ferrule has three shallow grooves in it that the blades set in. The front edge of the blades set in under the chisel tip and has a slight pointed rear end that fits under the under cut front of the adapter. This is undoubtedly the weak link in this Broadhead.

They shot to the same point of impact (POI) as my field points with no adjustments and displayed no sign of planing. Penetration into a piece of high density Styrofoam was 1-1/2” to 2” deeper than my Slick Trick Magnums (4 blade 1-1/8” dia.).

I do not like the blade locking system nor the small dia. with only three blades but I’m sure would do the trick if placed in the vitals as long as the tip was screwed on tight enough that it could not loosen causing the blades to fall out.

I stopped using cabela's Lazor Pro Magnums because of this type of blade retention system so will not be putting this BH in my quiver.

All pics are from before shooting.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
i used to shoot these heads a few years back. the new style has changed a bit from five years ago. like you said if the head gets loose the blades could fall out and they do. i had blades come out inside of deer with this head. that to me was the only down side, other than that its a great killing broad head. thought you would like to know.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
There is a review on another site with this head being used on deer. Seven out of Seven reported one or more blades missing after it hit the deer. It's too bad because it looks like it could be a good broadhead with a minor design change.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
The attention to detail on the blades looks pretty crappy. That edge is all over the place.

·
Banned
3,049 Posts
I shoot the ultimate steel's on our bh course at the club. Its nothing more than a cardboard cutout of a deer in front of a dirt pile. These ultimate steel's fly great but hold up like jello. The hellrazors I'm shooting at the same targets could literally be re-sharpened and used for hunting, and thats after being shot into dirt piles many hundreds of times at 350fps+.

IMHO...these ultimate steel BH's just need to go away.

·
<--Son's First Buck!
8,996 Posts
These used to be great heads when Rocket owned them. When Trophy Ridge bought them they went downhill fast. I actually just pulled a pack out of my tackle box and am using them for the early doe season. Half of the bacon skinner blades had imperfections (flat spots, dings, bends, etc.). The only plus is that they they need minimal tuning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts