Archery Talk Forum banner

Ultra Elite vibration ?

961 14
I am shooting an Ultra Elite am really enjoying it. I have XT3500 limbs, C2 cams somewhere between 50 and 60#'s. It just seems to have a twang to it when I shoot that my other UE didn't have. Before I go trying out all different vibration dampeners I thought I'd ask if there is anyone who solved a similar problem with something. I have the typical Alpha Shox and riser shock but no string leeches or and STS. Any help would be appreciated! I love the bow but it just has an odd sound to it.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· *Chick Repellent*
21,419 Posts
need to be a bit more specific. where is the sound coming from? have you tried "hitting" your bow at rest with your hand to try and locate where the sound is coming from?? help us out man :)

· Registered
1,884 Posts
What limbs did your other Ultraelite have?

Mine has the 3K limbs and Cam&1/2 cams. I thought it was smooth and vibration free until I picked up a 38Ultra for hunting last year. Then I found out what smooth and vibration free REALLY felt like! :eek:

· Registered
8,686 Posts
I am shooting an Ultra Elite am really enjoying it. I have XT3500 limbs, C2 cams somewhere between 50 and 60#'s. It just seems to have a twang to it when I shoot that my other UE didn't have. Before I go trying out all different vibration dampeners I thought I'd ask if there is anyone who solved a similar problem with something. I have the typical Alpha Shox and riser shock but no string leeches or and STS. Any help would be appreciated! I love the bow but it just has an odd sound to it.
if your comparing it to an Elite with shorter 2000 limbs there might not be anything wrong. the longer those limbs get the more they vibrate and hence more noise when they shoot. 4000 limbs are nosier yet. I got all of em.
I like the 2000 limbs the best.. shoot heavier arrow and noise goes down.

· Registered
2,004 Posts
I think if you using after market strings there will be a twang.how are your cams??If you throw some nocks on the string you can keep the string on the cams while its going off
HUH :confused:

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ultra Elite

The sound is definitely a limb/string vibration. There is no "loose" sound when I hit the bow while just holding it. Ny other UE had 2000 limbs which suspect is part of the problem. I am just hoping there is something simple to dampen it a bit. It's got three speed nocks at each end of the string and the specs are as they should be as far as I've been able to tell by measuring. I have seen a couple string dampeners for the Elite series, haven't yet tried string leeches. I suppose I'll have to start putting stuff on there until it gets better or just get used to it. It's such a sweet bow, even the local hotshots were drooling over it at the shop/range that I shot it at. And one of the Hoyt guys wanted to buy it from me! I'm just starting in this sport and getting several triple 10's on a three target sheet so there must be something to this bow 'cause I don't have any skill yet!

Thanks for all the replies!

· Registered
4,499 Posts
some after market strings depends on how many strands and or material are used may twang.thats on any bow.what many call speed nocks on the strings near the cams.they help keep the string tight when the string is released but if you want to call them speed nocks call them whatever you want:confused::confused::confused:

· Maaaaaahh......THWACK!
Darton, Conquest, Black Eagle
2,863 Posts
ultaelite

Normally with that bow, just because the ata is so long you have a long string. It will "twang" when you shoot it if you do not have any string dampening "stuff" on it. A sts will stop the twang but you will trade a slight pop for it. Leeched will take it out, but you will be relacing them fairly regularly. On a tourny/target bow the twang doesn't hurt you, unless you just can't deal with it. There are some string dampeners on the market, I have a couple sets some where, I can't remember what they are called. X.....something......unbreakable, infact they are garenteed for two years! If I can put my hands on em ill pm you with the name of them.

· Registered
295 Posts
The sound is definitely a limb/string vibration. There is no "loose" sound when I hit the bow while just holding it. Ny other UE had 2000 limbs which suspect is part of the problem. I am just hoping there is something simple to dampen it a bit. It's got three speed nocks at each end of the string and the specs are as they should be as far as I've been able to tell by measuring. I have seen a couple string dampeners for the Elite series, haven't yet tried string leeches. I suppose I'll have to start putting stuff on there until it gets better or just get used to it. It's such a sweet bow, even the local hotshots were drooling over it at the shop/range that I shot it at. And one of the Hoyt guys wanted to buy it from me! I'm just starting in this sport and getting several triple 10's on a three target sheet so there must be something to this bow 'cause I don't have any skill yet!

Thanks for all the replies!
It may have measured up to spec, but did you check the cam sync? I've seen Ultras out of sync that make a twanging or "boinging" sound.

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, let me know what you find.

As far as cam sync goes, they appear to have the same string to cam lobe distance (I know that probably doesn't make sense but I'm not sure what it's called). I will have the tech look at it next time I'm at the shop.
Normally with that bow, just because the ata is so long you have a long string. It will "twang" when you shoot it if you do not have any string dampening "stuff" on it. A sts will stop the twang but you will trade a slight pop for it. Leeched will take it out, but you will be relacing them fairly regularly. On a tourny/target bow the twang doesn't hurt you, unless you just can't deal with it. There are some string dampeners on the market, I have a couple sets some where, I can't remember what they are called. X.....something......unbreakable, infact they are garenteed for two years! If I can put my hands on em ill pm you with the name of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.