Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was playing around tonight (as usual LOL!) and was wondering about revisiting the high cheekbone anchor but this time?....trying it out with a very high elbow and?...I liked it...other times I didn't but this time?...I was focused on trying it with a high and inside elbow...and that made things feel very different from what I recalled of my last attempts at this and felt far better...with a killer sight picture rifling my eyeball down the shaft...and even felt pretty good at release though I have a long way to go to get anywhere near perfecting this and ingraining it into the mix but nevertheless?...I think it has potential...just needs a whole lotta polishing! LOL!

And here it is for your reviewing pleasure...enjoy and L8R, Bill. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill where do you keep getting empty cigarette packs from ? :)
I had a stack of'em saved alongside of my bales under the roof...what I miss is the cellophane off them...I used it as shim for touching off tools to set "Z Axis" tool height on my cnc mills....the stuff is exactly .0011 thick so I'm always .0001 high...btw...that's my last empty pack...I had about a dozen of'em.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Ya scared me :)

I have high cheek bones and I can't go higher or it really throws my shots

So my anchor is my anchor and since I anchor the c of my hand around the back of my jaw it really helped me going to three under

When I shot split for about 100 years :) with my low anchor I always struggled with inconsistancies in my shooting

I still do struggle at times but it's better since I got that arrow up higher under my eye

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks like the high anchor and "gun barreling" sight picture works great for you.
Off topic, but what is the quiver/bow stand that you use in your videos and who sales it? It looks perfect for backyard practice!
Happy Holidays!

·
Premium Member
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill, has moving your anchor up higher reduced your draw length?
I would have to go with. ..yes...based on the fact that the back of my jaw is further back than the back of my cheekbone.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Good on you for trying new things. But give it a while before you decide to change it again.
Couple things:
Focus on moving rearward instead of moving forward into the anchor.
Elbow could go even higher since that will promote the follow through of the hand being rearward instead of down. Right now you can tell that you have some residual downward tension in the arm.
Are you able to identify the position of the string blur with this anchor?

-Grant

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I sure wish I could find a good comfortable high anchor but for the life of me I just can not. I can never find a comfortable/consistent place for my thumb. So I deal with my 20" gap at 20 yards and carry on.

·
Premium Member
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sure wish I could find a good comfortable high anchor but for the life of me I just can not. I can never find a comfortable/consistent place for my thumb. So I deal with my 20" gap at 20 yards and carry on.
Trent...maybe my following responses to Grant might help you too...as far as my thumb goes?...I'm "V'ing" the backside of my cheekbone (much like many do with their jaw hinge) with my index finger riding the top of said cheekbone and the thumb harnessed up against the bottom of my cheekbone.

Good on you for trying new things. But give it a while before you decide to change it again.
Couple things:
Focus on moving rearward instead of moving forward into the anchor.
Elbow could go even higher since that will promote the follow through of the hand being rearward instead of down. Right now you can tell that you have some residual downward tension in the arm.
Thanks Grant and now onto....

Are you able to identify the position of the string blur with this anchor?

-Grant
The Bad News?: To answer your question honestly I needed to go out back and shoot my bow and pay attention to it but?..

The GoodNews?: To answer your question honestly I needed to go out back and shoot my bow and pay attention to it so I did. :laugh:

and here's "how it went" and?...."what I came up with"....

"how it went":

As I headed out back widow in hand?....it hit me as to why I needed to do this in order to answer your question....and at first?...the answer was simple....as I thought....

"Oh dang....now I know why I can't answer the string blur question....I don't look at it...and neither does my mind...I'm an instinctive shooter so I see a big picture (like an actual photographic snap shot) and as I draw my bow to anchor?...everything disappears into "tunnel vision" unto the spot."

so that's why I needed to shoot and pay attention to it just in order to answer you...and that's when "The Simple Answer" got real complex real fast...because as I went to pay attention too "string blur"?.....and where the string is at?...as I came to anchor that's when I realized it was about an inch right of my freaking eye...and my arrow shaft was heavily skewed towards the left...and now here's where it gets good and here's?...

"what I came up with":

When I saw that arrow skewed heavily to the left and realized how far right my string was?...I immediately thought....(oh no...this won't do at all and is nothing like how I was shooting it last night)....and that's when I realized I was trying to shoot straight up...with little too no canting....and then three things happened in order to...

"get it there again"....

1. Cant The Bow

2. Along with my head.

(and that got the arrow rotated closer to under my eye but was still slightly skewed left and wasn't enough so my final move was?...)

3. Rotate my head slightly right/nose towards the string path but not in it.

and bam...there it was...my sight picture....in all it's glory...which is when I realized...

"This Is A Long Ways From Instinctive"

But a beautiful thing that resulted in rifling my eyeball right down the center of the shaft...and now I thought....

"Ut-oh...there's a lot of No=No's I'm committing here regarding head movement and form."

So I checked that out as well and here's the deal as I saw it tonight.....

This still worked great and I tried to figure out why...because I was watching where the arrow shafts were being drawn too on the shelf which seemed very consistent...and as I bagan toying around and making further observations?....the following came to my attention....

I fully realize that going by the book?...one is never supposed to move their head....instead bringing their arrow too it....but in this case?...what I witnessed after about 30 shots?...(cause I had trouble believing this myself from all I've heard)...it seemed...

"The Arrow Was Setting My Head and Form"

and in a very consistent manor as if I crept a little bit or over drew just a touch?...the angularity of the shaft would skew left/right unto my eye...but when my head, form and draw was in this very defined one particular place?...the shaft would be in dead alignment with the target and bingo.

Then as darkness set in and I headed back into the house to post these observations?...I chuckled to myself thinking...

"If there's a polar opposite too RIGHT?...I think I just found it!" :laugh:

And granted...maybe I'm a touch premature with the above statement and agree it's just too early to call anything "conclusive" but I'm fairly certain I can call it split-vision as far as aiming labels go...form labels?...I have no clue...and I do need to work with it a bit more but so far?...it still appears promising...the good news?...I got all weekend to play, practice and test....tomorrow I'm going to do some..."No Shoot Draw Checking"...to see if this is as consistent as what it appeared to be this evening.

L8R, Bill. :cool2:

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
I shoot with the bow upright but a slight head tilt as it seems most barebow shooters using a higher anchor do. Also I rotate my head to get the string blur where I want. It's not much, but it is definitely a movement after arriving at anchor. The more I practice the less movement it requires but there is definitely a part of my shot sequence where the string blur is addressed and adjusted.

-Grant

·
Premium Member
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I'm just not that finicky. :laugh:

Don't get me wrong...I love to shoot with at least a reasonable level of accuracy but the way I want to achieve it is....

"As Thoughtlessly Natural As Possible"

Getting adjusted and tuned into this new high anchor is going to take some practice but the only things I'm seeing is the arrow shaft and the spot....the rest of it?...I leave to a different part of my brain because if I start focusing on multiple things?...it just seems to serve as a never-ending circle of distraction and whether the arrow misses by an inch or a mile?...my mind then wants to figure out which one (1) of the 6 things I thought through about a dozen times over it was that.....went wrong. :laugh:

People are wired different...and that includes how their minds process information...Too me?...a "shot sequence" is like a list of distractions....I'd much rather just relax, shoot and let things fall into place all on their own because the above?...is exactly what happened when I went out to answer your question regarding "string blur"...I could give a flip about where that string blur is or isn't...as long as my form feels right time after time and that arrow looks right and is well aligned with the spot?....I say let'er rip and let the big dog eat...will I win any national titles this way?...probably not....then again?...I ain't looking for one either...just a fun time, good friends and no lost arrows. ;)

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Attention to all the little things are what add up to consistent good accuracy. If you ignore them, that is fine, but don't expect to shoot like the guys that pay attention to them. The very best shooter are shooting an extremely disciplined shot. That is true if your talking about Rio Wilde in the Pro Division or Demmer and Dewayne shooting Traditional. There are no short cuts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts