Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot an aluminum ultra nock on my hunting and 3-d rigs. How much speed do you think I am losing compared to a string d-loop? I weighed them on my reloading scale and could not believe how heavy they were.

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ultra nock

I dont agree with safe, been shootin them for 10 years, no problems, just was wondering about speed. You might have a point about noise and vibration.

· Registered
927 Posts
Any excess weight on your string will slow your speed down. I try and shoot a very tight loop to keep the weight down and it also keeps it from turning. If you are concerned with speed try and keep your peep, loop, buttons, nocks as light as possible. I have even been shooting G5 peeps unserved in my string to conseve weight. Ever little bit helps to get that extra few fps.

Good luck!

· Registered
3,807 Posts
10 years??
I am very surprised you have not had a batch of trouble.
At least on a short braced bow, I have seen the chew both cables and strings, hit the riser, and when a string let go ( right where that thing was clamped ) I found myself going to get stitches in my wrist. Not to mention that it WILL lower arrow speed because of the weight.

Get rid of it and go to a tied loop.

Ted

· Registered
344 Posts
I just took off an aluminum ultra nock. I had no issues that everyone talks about i.e. serving wear, noise etc. I don't have a crono so I can't determine the speed loss. It was about 20 or so grains heavier than a string loop. The most important reason that gets overlooked with these aluminum loops is torque on the string from the release. I had my son stand behind and to the side of me so he could see when I released the string if I was twisting at all. Big yes to that one. The string loop went back on and he varified that the loop was twisted a bit but it had no impact on the bow string. Tighter groups at longer distances was the result.

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no problems

I shoot 2, PSE, XSR's, 36"ata, 6 1/4" bh, 80# (hunting rig), 70# (3-d rig), never had a problem with the ultra nock hitting anything. I tied a d-loop on this morning with serving nocks under and above the nock on the arrow. I did not notice any speed difference at the range. My broadheads and field points hit dead on at 20, 30, and 40 yards. I did notice it was a little quieter, and alot less vibration. I'll go with the d-loop. But I never had a problem with the ultra nocks.

· Registered
8,473 Posts
I shot the dloop on my hunting rig for a couple of seasons back when I still had a scott ole faithful rope release. I never had any problems with it. It was a little noisey but on the speed side it slowed my bow down 14 fps from a dloop. But if you are using two nocks and the d loop you probly picked up little to no fps from switching.

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tied nocks

I tied the nocks with serving matl. Big time weight difference.

· Banned
671 Posts
Any excess weight on your string will slow your speed down. I try and shoot a very tight loop to keep the weight down and it also keeps it from turning. If you are concerned with speed try and keep your peep, loop, buttons, nocks as light as possible. I have even been shooting G5 peeps unserved in my string to conseve weight. Ever little bit helps to get that extra few fps.

Good luck!
I don't agree thats it's the extra weight on the string as much as the placement of the weight. if you was to evenly displace that weight of your knock closer to the cams it would make your bow faster. Ok I know I'm being anal but I'm board.:wink:

· Registered
683 Posts
I don't agree thats it's the extra weight on the string as much as the placement of the weight. if you was to evenly displace that weight of your knock closer to the cams it would make your bow faster. Ok I know I'm being anal but I'm board.:wink:
Not always, I have found some cams don't benifit from speed nocks.

· Registered
289 Posts
I used an Ultra Nock for about 6 years and never had a problem . Decided to just shoot off the string and that works fine .
As to the "almost everyone shoots a d-loop.the few who dont, usually dont know how to tie one" response . I thought that was apretty lame answer . You don't need to be a Rocket Scientist to tie a simple loop . There have been enough explanations on this site and others explaining and showing how to do it .
If you need a loop , use it ...........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.