Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if others have had the same problems as me. I have had 2 Ultra rests and am on my third refurbished one from the company. They seem to loose there ability to consistently stay in the up position. Has anyone had these problems too. I love the concept but have been fighting with this problem. They have been put on correctly according to the video.
Thanks
Nobby

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
That is extremely unusual.

If they have been on the same bow, I would guess there is too much tension on the timing cord.

Which model rest?

When does the rest come up to a full 90 degree position? (How many inches before the end of the draw).

Are you cocking the rest up before drawing, or are you drawing with the rest in the down position?

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
My fist one lasted 3 months. Ultra HD. The replacement ive had for 10 months and have shot the crap out of it with no problems.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rest

The rest is a Pro Series HD. I cock the rest first and the rest comes to 90 at the very end of the draw. I have put it on exactly the way the video suggests. Yes it has been on the same bow from the beginning. I do shoot a lot but did not think it would wear out that fast. QAD has been good in sending me new ones but am not 100% convinced that these rests are the way to go.
Thanks for the feedback
Nobby

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had my QAD HD for over a year now and have had NO problems with it, I always use my thumb to cock the rest in the up position.

·
Registered
756 Posts
ultra rest

I was told that the Pro series rest has the most problems with the rest not going down. You can either by the cheaper one or by a ripcord like I did.

·
Registered
825 Posts
rest

The rest should last you for years with no problem. If it is not timed right , the fletchings will knock the rest down and you will think it is falling. Eventually this will wear out the little dog ear inside that holds the rest up.
Try this: Make sure the rest cable is served on the down buss cable where the bottom of the grip is. This will make it fall a little faster. Also, it needs to come to the full up position at least an inch before full draw. This rest needs a little tension on it. Once you get it timed, you will have nothing else. I used to have this same problem. Great rest, worth the time.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
The rest is a Pro Series HD. I cock the rest first and the rest comes to 90 at the very end of the draw. I have put it on exactly the way the video suggests. Yes it has been on the same bow from the beginning. I do shoot a lot but did not think it would wear out that fast. QAD has been good in sending me new ones but am not 100% convinced that these rests are the way to go.
Thanks for the feedback
Nobby
What bow are you shooting it on?

The only reason you are going to get the problems you are having on the same bow with multiple rests is if something is not timed right.

Set the rest to come up so that it hits the full 90 degree upright position during the last 1/2" of draw- no sooner (especially with binary or hybrid cams).

If it comes up sooner, it stays up longer and can cause the fletching to hit it and knock it down. This will wear the internal mechanism out fairly quickly. I would venture to guess this is what's going on.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rest

I am shooting a SBXT and it comes to 90 at about 1" from full draw. I shoot this bow a lot everyday so maybe it just wears out quicker then the average person.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I am shooting a SBXT and it comes to 90 at about 1" from full draw. I shoot this bow a lot everyday so maybe it just wears out quicker then the average person.
I have got a rest I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 15k shots on. Still works flawlessly.

Even shooting a lot, it should last you much longer than a few months.

1" before full draw is too soon for the rest to be coming up. THat is putting extra tension on it that is really not needed. Try loosening the timing cord a little and set it to come up no sooner than 1/2" before full draw. As long as it comes up by the time you reach full draw it is fine. You really can't set it to come up too late (unless there is too little tension to pull it ALL the way up).

Try that and see if it doesn't last longer.

My guess is too much tension on components and possibly rest staying up too long and causing minor contact issues you may not notice, but that can wear out the internals.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I was told that the Pro series rest has the most problems with the rest not going down. You can either by the cheaper one or by a ripcord like I did.
Doesn't a slow let down drop the launcher on the ripcord? That's the last thing I want (next to a rest that breaks of course ;))

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
I had some problems with them too...I love the concept of them but I was a bit gunshy of them after I had issues...Mine would either have problems staying up or it wouldnt fall at all "yes it was setup right". I have used the Ripcord and never had any problems with them. The QAD is an awesome design, but I just didnt trust them enough to hunt with them after I had issues with mine.

·
Registered
921 Posts
out of the hundred or so I have setup I have only had one that had problems and that was my own fault I made the rope to short and threw the timing off a bowtech and that caused a whole new can of problems untill I realized it.

as long as the timing marks on the barrel match at full draw I have never had a problem. Another thing to look at is when you cock it by hand that isnt all the way up there is still another 1/8-3/16 of movement that is setting a spring inside that will make it fall out of the way of the fletch

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rest

Thanks for all of the replies. I will try and change it to 1/2", however, that inch was created doing exactly what the video said. I will relieve some tension off and try that. The line on the barrel seems to be perfect when viewing at full draw. I am glad someone else has had the same problems.
Thanks again

Nobby

1 - 16 of 16 Posts