Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed down the choices for my next hunting bow to two Hoyt models. I shoot 60# with a 31" DL and use a release, fixed broadheads, and carbon arrows.

The Protec XT2000 is only 38.5" A-A with an 8.25" brace height. The UltraTec XT3000 is a little longer (40.75"), which I like, but the brace is a little less (7.75"). It's a few fps faster, but that's not nearly as important to me as accuracy under hunting conditions.

We archers have lots of opinions, so let's hear yours. Fire away!

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
How about splitting the difference and going with an Ultratec XT2000. Both are capable of the tremendous accuracy. I believe just as may tourneys where won with the ultratec as they were with the protec. I really can't see the advantage to using the protec, unless you shot competition exclusively, or just felt that a little extra brace height would make you more consistent. Really personal preference, the pros use both.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UltraTec XT2000 would be going in the wrong direction for me accuracy/forgiveness-wise because it's shorter AND has less brace height.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Whoops. I reversed your numbers in your first post. In that case my choice would be the Ultratec w/3000 limbs. I wouldn't bother even looking at a protec unless it had 3000 limbs as well. I rarely see XT 2000 limbs on protecs, although I am sure some do shoot this setup.

Shoot both 2000 and 3000 limbs on the same riser, and see how the difference in limb length feels to you, then try different risers with the same limbs on them.

When you look at how well bows like the razortec abnd cybertec shoot, I think you won't be so concerned about the A to A measurements. Even short bows shoot extremely well these days because companies have gone away from the super low brace heights.

My next hunting bow will be a Ultratec with XT2000 limbs. I am also thinking about a protec with lx limbs for indoor this year.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I shoot and hunt with a pro-tec xt3000. I shoot fingers though. If I shot a release I would have gone with the ultra, for the speed. 3000 limbs are more forgiving though, IMO.:) I "still hunt" and use natural blinds, never owned a tree stand, and the ATA has never been a problem.:D Good luck with your choice. I think you'll be happy with either.:)

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I own both bows you are asking about and love them both. I ordered th UT XT3000 in a target color. While I was waiting I ended up with the Protec it is a XT2000 with Spiral cams. Shot it all spring and summer for 3-D and Field. Even after the UT came in. I think I am going to end up changing over to the UT for spots and the Protec for 3-D. My advise would be shoot them both figure out wich one you like better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts