Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
<--- My first buck
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is; the “Unauthorized $5 Homemade X-Force Bow Press”.

One picture shows me drawing the X-Force to check the draw stop timing. I use a long J-bolt attached through a 2x6 board which is part of a shelving unit. The J-Bolt is loose within the drilled hole so I can swivel the J-bolt to flip the bow over while hooked. A lock-nut with washer on the back side of the board prevents the J-bolt from coming loose. There is just enough room between the J-bolt and the board to slip the bow string under to hook on.

Another picture shows the parts used for the X-Force bow press including:
• 36” full-thread rod with 5-24 threads (3/16”)
o Cut into two 18” pieces
o Bend the two 18” pieces back on themselves to make a “U-shape”
• 4 nuts to fit the rod
• 4 plastic faucet washers to go between the nuts and the limbs to protect finish.
• One “S-hook”
• A length of chain
o Attach one end of the chain to one U-shaped threaded rod
o Attach the other end of the chain to the S-hook

To use:
• Remove the small vibration dampeners on the limb tips of the bow
• Insert the two U-shaped threaded rods through the dampener holes (one with the chain attached)
• Slide on the plastic faucet washers
• Thread on the nuts only enough to cover the end of the threads
• Use the J-bolt on the shelving to partially draw the bow and hook the S-hook to the other U-shaped threaded rod (If no J-hook on shelving, a partner could draw the bow for you)
• Gently release the tension on the bow and the chain will hold the bow flexed enough to work on or remove the strings and cams.
• When done tinkering, just draw the bow, unhook the S-hook and gently release the drawn bow back to the J-hook

The third picture shows the assembled “press” on the bow being drawn to attach the S-hook.

I have used this on about 50 different occasions on my X-Force and I see no indication of any issues. In fact as compared with the bow presses in the shops I have used, this homemade press appears to only place a small fraction of the force on the limbs.

The parts are only about $5 in a hardware store, they take up very little space, and they can go with you into the field fitting in a tackle box.

Remember, this is not authorized by PSE or anyone for that matter. All I know is it works, is extremely simple, and is a very quick inexpensive tool to use in tweaking the cables or replacing the string of your X-Force.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't get it

No offence intended, but if you just spent $800+ dollars on a bow, why would you not be willing to spend the money to get a decent press and not risk major damage to your equipment? Not to mention yourself.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Now thats a recipe for disaster. :eek:

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
penny wise pound foolish

·
Registered
Bowtech baby!!
5,702 Posts
Sound idea actually, not unsafe in concept either.

However, application and materials made me pee myself a little.

·
<--- My first buck
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It would seem like somewhere between gee I like it and oh god its the end of the world could be a few comments that are less dramatic and better thought out. Actually there were a couple.

I know this is not for everyone but it is not a death trap. It actually works really well and is very quick to press & unpress and press again while timing cams etc.

The chain, s-hook, and full thread rods are in no way subject to breakage at the small amount of pressure applied to them.

The holes in the limbs have much more meat around them than the axles do and they pull from the far side whereas the axles pull from the center which has the tendency to split or pull the limb apart so IMO they are less likely to have a problem than the axles.

When pressed, the limbs are only drawn in about 1" so even if something did break, the bow would only snap back that inch. I can assure you that this contraption puts far less pressure on the limbs than any conventional bow press and zero pressure on the riser.

Unconventional, yes. Not too pretty, yes. Not for everyone, yes. Not the best solution out there, yes. Dangerous, loosing a finger, death trap, bow destroyer, give me a break.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
If it gives when ya got your fingers in there. OOOPs there goes that little piggy. if it goes while strings and cables are off try 10-12 inches of deflection buddy,on each limb, you wont have to worry about that little piggy cause you may not be able to see it. :wink:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.