Archery Talk Forum banner

Under/Over Spine

507 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  insideout27
If "perfect" spine is not achievable would you rather have too high or too low of a spine and why? (3d bow @ 60#/28")
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
285 Posts
Read a story in petersons once from randy ulmer and he likes over spined arrows . you can probably search this on the web site.. I shoot over spined arrows because I like more weight and it's hard to get perfect spine when using an over 10gpi arrow

· Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Read a story in petersons once from randy ulmer and he likes over spined arrows . you can probably search this on the web site.. I shoot over spined arrows because I like more weight and it's hard to get perfect spine when using an over 10gpi arrow
I am looking for as close to 300 grains as I can get which is going to be near impossible for an over spined arrow. Help me :tongue:

· Registered
10,965 Posts
I would prefer overspined. it's safer that shooting underspined:darkbeer:

· Registered
1,497 Posts
If you're target shooting, it's not as critical.
Broadheads however do NOT like underspined arrows. Most bows can and will shoot overspined arrows with broadheads well, but not underspined.

Look into Carbon Tech Cheetahs for a top quality light weight shaft.

· Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Broadheads however do NOT like underspined arrows. Most bows can and will shoot overspined arrows with broadheads well, but not underspined.

Look into Carbon Tech Cheetahs for a top quality light weight shaft.
If you read all of my first post it says i will only be shooting 3d, so NO broadheads!

· Registered
15,839 Posts
Weak shafts will show larger grouping at close range. Stiff shaft will show larger grouping at extended ranges like 50 yards and above. It is very critical to target shooting!!! Especially when using lighter weight bows at extended ranges.

Marginally weak spined arrows will make you talk to yourself. They will make you think you have form problems that you don't have. These arrow will usually have better groupings at 30 yards than they do at 20. Too stiff of an arrow with tend to get unforgiving. If you have a perfect release and perfect execution they are hard to detect, but I don't and they will give more variation as distances are extended. Have you ever had an arrow that groups well at 40 yards, but seems to scatter at 50 or 60?

Most release shooters can usually shoot slightly over spined arrow well at their normal shooting distances.

· Registered
574 Posts
I shoot 60lbs @ 28 1/4" DL and a 300gr arrow for 3-d. I use easton fatboys 500 and cx cxl150 witch are a 500 spine also. Both these arrow fly great. If you pick up a cp program like ontarget2, you can put in all your info and it will select a shaft for you. Ye'll find most of the time the spine will be weaker then you would think. You can use this program to help you setup arrows for all uses

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.