Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple of weeks there have been several threads regarding the killing of Does and Button Bucks and anyone not agreeing with someone's kill has been labled a QDM nut.

Most of the threads were started by guys sharing their stories and pictures with fellow ATers. Then another hunter decideds that they don't like the message that the picture sends, or that they wouldn't have shot that deer for any number of reasons.

As these types of arguments progress, several people have categorized the hunting population into "It's Brown It's Down" or "QDM" ... and I think that QDM is being unfairly positioned in most of these arguments.

I for one totally support QDM, but I also feel that it is not against QDM to shoot does and Fawns. In fact QDM promotes harvesting does. I also think that Easton94 :embara: should not have had to go through all of the bashing that he went through, because he told his story here on AT and admitted that he made a mistake. People acted as if he went out looking for Button Bucks. :confused:

Just because someone doesn't agree with what someone else shot doesn't mean that they are practicing Quality Deer Managment. Sometimes it means that they are just being judgmental *******s, and as long as it is legal there is nothing they can do about it.:whistle:

QDM is very important to all of us because it keeps the deer population healthy. It's not about everyone being able to kill a 190+ P&Y Buck or judging other hunters for the animals they kill, it's about maintaining the quality of deer in your area. If any of you guys have been on land that has been "shot out" then you know how important QDM is.

As for Hunters Bashing Hunters - We will all make mistakes once in a while but I think it is critical that we allow fellow hunters to share their stories good or bad so that we can learn from them, not trash them as if were were supporting PETA, and not each other.

Just my opinion...
With all due respect..if you don't want to hear it there's alway another thread! :pepsi:

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Postone said:
QDM is very important to all of us because it keeps the deer population healthy. It's not about everyone being able to kill a 190+ P&Y Buck or judging other hunters for the animals they kill, it's about maintaining the quality of deer in your area. If any of you guys have been on land that has been "shot out" then you know how important QDM is.

Nicely put. QDM is often mischaracterized as "trophy only", which is completely false.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Signed up my Landowner

I only have a couple places where I can hunt without being overrun and they are small. So, I signed up the landowner as a member of QDMA so she could understand herd management. Now, we have food plots and are getting subsidized to thin the eastern red cedars. She's making more money off her pasture land than she did when she rented it for grazing. The big bonus has been no cattle, better quality range and a landowner who's going to hunt with us this fall! It will be her first time to hunt deer in 30-plus years. Me, my buddy and his two sons ages 12 and 13 who are really into hunting with their dad are stoked to have an educated landowner who supports wildlife management on her land. The pastures in all directions are always overgrazed to the nubs. Guess where the deer are? Hee hee!
>>>----------------------------->Brad

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FultonCtyHunter said:
Talk about beating a dead horse.....u just trying to stir the pot or what?
Nope ...Sorry if that's what you are looking for, you can start another thread for that crap... I'm just speaking in defense of QDM before people get the wrong impression of what it is about... :tape2:

QDM has been mistaken for some guy judging the way another guy hunts and that is not what QDM is about.

From the QDMA Website:
What is Quality Deer Management?

Quality Deer Management (QDM) is a management philosophy/practice that unites landowners, hunters, and managers in a common goal of producing biologically and socially balanced deer herds within existing environmental, social, and legal constraints. This approach typically involves the protection of young bucks (yearlings and some 2.5 year-olds) combined with an adequate harvest of female deer to maintain a healthy population in balance with existing habitat conditions and landowner desires. This level of deer management involves the production of quality deer (bucks, does, and fawns), quality habitat, quality hunting experiences, and, most importantly, quality hunters.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Qdm

Has a lot of attributes that are very positive.
Having managed a whole lot of properties in the NE for a varying array of hunters......I can say for sure that there is nothing wrong with a hunter being proud of his kill.
Unless a guy or girl kills a deer that he/she absolutely agreed not to, people need to lighten up a bit. In 11 years I have NEVER seen a group of hunters who DID NOT accidentally kill a button buck when aggressively culling antlerless deer. I have also never seen a property that did not improve in health IN SPITE of this OCCASIONAL mishap.
First off, killing button bucks is a double edged sword.....it really won't affect YOUR bucks at all.......BUUUUUT, if you ascribe to QDM, you should try to help the whole herd.....not just yours.
I read accounts of how a button buck who is orphaned will most likely stay in his home range..........ask yourself these questions:
1. Do I want him to stay in close proximity to his mothers daughters?

2. Do I really think that the sisters/half sisters he WILL be in close proximity too if he stays will find him a suitable breeding partner.

Bottom line, people make WAY too much out of shooting a FEW button bucks......it really only significantly affects a herd with a shot out antlered buck population . Unfortunately this is normal in most of the Northeast so I do recommend that WHEN PRACTICAL it not be done. It will still happen.

So before anyone goes bashing for/against......we have to all realize that we all hunt for different reasons.....no 2 hunters or clubs are identical.

Really , our efforts are far better off improving the habitat and WHOLE HERD......for the benefit of the RESOURCE......not our own agendas, egos, and personal preferences.

I will go get my helmet now.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I would venture a guess and say that most of the people "bashing" QDM actually support it and it's mission.

What we witnessed in those threads in my opinion was much more about the brow-beating some of the people took upon themselves to issue to other hunters consequently resulting in a bunch of hens plucking each other's feathers -- getting the last word in, being heard, posting for the sake of posting, Internet egos, etc., etc.

There wasn't a whole lot resolved, settled or agreed upon.

Outside of maybe letemgrow, who I feel articulated QDM and its mission better than anyone by far, no new points made by either "side".

It was less about QDM and more about "he started it".

I've no problem with anyone who fails to subscribe to QDM. It's their right. Making them feel like an idiot though is not going to sway them.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
I don't think I've seen "QDM" get bashed.....or at least I don't think that's the attempt. I think more likely what you are seeing is a lot of hunters that don't particularly care for the attitude of many of the QDM advocates on this site and this is their way of "turning the tide" so to speak.

I haven't seen a single person that is totally against QDM. What I see is a lot of people that are tired of the "holier than thou" attitude portrayed by some of the people that consider themselves QDM advocates.

I agree that we don't as a whole need this kind of crap between us but I don't think you will see that change until these "QDM advocates" change their ways. What you see from the supposed "brown and downers" is an effect from the cause that the QDM'rs are instigating.

JMO

KEEP THE PEACE!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
QDM has been mistaken for some guy judging the way another guy hunts and that is not what QDM is about.
Some guys refuse to get this, and they do more harm than good. THe attitude that a select few around here present when "promoting" QDM leaves a very sour taste. It's deffinitely not the way to win people over.

However, I've seen more helpful and supportive attitudes coming from QDM folks around here than ever before. Letemgrow as well as some others set great examples.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
IMO --- If qdm gets bashed it is because of those who want to dictate if, when, but mostly how it is practiced by others. To be successful it needs to be a varied practice and not just passing up a small buck for someone elses future p&y wall mount.

Kinda like buying groceries. While the goal may be an overall heathy diet, ya don't buy the same groceries every time ya shop.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I totally agree with a good QDM program,its very important for a healthy deer heard.But I think some--and I say "some" of its so called advocates are really confused about QDM and its benefits,and what it really means.On the other hand some--and I say "some" are too quick to bash a first timer for killing a 1.5 year old 6 point.I for one would not do that on my properties,but who am I to say its wrong if someone else does???

To each his own,
Brandon

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
bigrackHack said:
Nicely put. QDM is often mischaracterized as "trophy only", which is completely false.

Ok, I've read all the posts up to this point and I'd have to say that bigrackHack put it all in a one nutshell for me. QDM is not about "trophy's". It is more about balancing the deer herd ( population ) in my area. Yes, I pass on a lot of what I call scrub bucks ( 1.5-2.5yr old ) But I also shoot a lot of does ( 5 last year ). Now granted, I'd much rather shoot a "wall hanger" buck but the truth of the matter is that they are few and far between. And the does are more than abundant on our property. Shooting does for me does several things. 1. It puts food on the table ( not always mine).2. It helps reduce the amount od destruction the deer cause to our crops. 3. It helps to bring some kind of balance to the deer population. 4. It brings me a lot of gratification when I make a clean shot.

I only have two kinds of deer that I will not shoot....Ones with spots and ones with buttons. But that is just me. But in all honesty they can/could be shot all in the name of QDM.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Heres a question. Im parts of Wisconsin they have whats called "earn a buck". You have to shoot a doe, fawn (or nub buck) to allow a horned buck to be taken. Anything under 3" antlers is considered ok to use a doe tag(anterless deer its called). Are we wrong to fill a doe tag to have the chance to get to shoot a buck?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
thunderduks said:
Heres a question. Im parts of Wisconsin they have whats called "earn a buck". You have to shoot a doe, fawn (or nub buck) to allow a horned buck to be taken. Anything under 3" antlers is considered ok to use a doe tag(anterless deer its called). Are we wrong to fill a doe tag to have the chance to get to shoot a buck?

No, you are not wrong. That is as long as you you don't go shooting button bucks and then complain that you have no "book" bucks to shoot..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hart said:
No, you are not wrong. That is as long as you you don't go shooting button bucks and then complain that you have no "book" bucks to shoot..
I guess my point was isnt the DNR idea of heard management adding to the problem. Most will kill to "Get that buck". Many hunters with young hunters(sons,daughters, nephews, neices, etc) having to pass on an antlered deer to get anything less than 3".

·
Registered
427 Posts
Re:

I guess you can call me a QDM hunter in a sense. I am in the habit of letting young bucks walk, at least those that I believe are 2.5 yrs or younger. I let six such bucks go last year. And I shoot my share of does too and help do work on food plots, etc.

But last year, one of the bucks I let go was one that someone else ended up shooting, a 112 inch 9 pointer. I was as happy for that guy as if I'd shot him myself!!! I was also able to give him a live picture of the deer he got.

The problem with some QDMers is they insist on imposing their rigid standards on everyone else.

The enjoyment of the hunting experience (not the kill) needs to be the primary reason for what we do. We need to stop making our fellow hunters feel 'guilty' if they fail to follow anothers higher standard.

Set your standards and goals for your season, yes, but don't impose your standard on someone else's enjoyment. And don't hunt with those who insist on doing so!!!

·
Ad Meliora
17,199 Posts
Some great points made here!!!

While I am a strong QDM advocate, I believe it is something that one must desire to do rather than be forced to do. Youngsters should not be limited...unless they themselves set a goal.

Regarding the BB thread....while I can hardly see a reason to shoot a BB, it is a mistake that can happen. But when someone says...

I probably should have passed on this deer but its early...AND....I take what I can!!
....then I realize that the particular hunter really doesn't care about herd management, and really just wants to kill deer. He has no goals to meet other than whacking deer. This same kind of hunters whines about the lack of large bucks, etc.

This attitude will get ALL hunters a bad rap in todays society. We need to assume the responsibility of deer managers before hunting rights are taken and management is given to sharp shooters, etc.

I think it might be time for some people to think about more than just their self gratification.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
thunderduks said:
I won't say you're wrong, but what you propose is the exact opposite of the intent of Earn-a-Buck in the first place. There is a big-picture purpose to the policy.

Best Regards,
Byron :)

·
HillsideCustomSlings, LLC
13,455 Posts
Epinepherine said:
I would venture a guess and say that most of the people "bashing" QDM actually support it and it's mission.

What we witnessed in those threads in my opinion was much more about the brow-beating some of the people took upon themselves to issue to other hunters consequently resulting in a bunch of hens plucking each other's feathers -- getting the last word in, being heard, posting for the sake of posting, Internet egos, etc., etc.

There wasn't a whole lot resolved, settled or agreed upon.

Outside of maybe letemgrow, who I feel articulated QDM and its mission better than anyone by far, no new points made by either "side".

It was less about QDM and more about "he started it".

I've no problem with anyone who fails to subscribe to QDM. It's their right. Making them feel like an idiot though is not going to sway them.

This debate can go on for years
Let's change the subject we're beating a dead horse (buckeye) here....LMAO

GO BLUE!!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts