Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother was just transfered to Colorado by a phone company.He was living in Mo,and looking forward to deer season.My nephew (10 yrs old)got
his 1st turkey this year,and was looking for his 1st deer.I bought him a new Browning bow and Gold tips fletched with Blazers .They made the move to South Colorado and were excited about a chance to get a Muley.Heres the kicker,Colorado law says NO HUNTING unless you've been a resident for six months.He could buy a nonresident license,but its $500.He said he'd just wait.I'm most dissappointed about the nephew.Thats the breaks tho.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Man that sucks but if it meant the difference of hunting or not, I wouldn't hesitate to drop the $500 for the NR license.

·
Wishing it was elk season
796 Posts
Yes it does suck!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Cornfed said:
Man that sucks but if it meant the difference of hunting or not, I wouldn't hesitate to drop the $500 for the NR license.
Coming from someone from Illinois, where they want $500:)eek: )for a NR Whitetail Tag, I am not surprised. Remember, it would cost $500 each, actually, I think the deer tag is around $300, so for the two of them they'd be looking at $600!!!!!! I agree that's a tough call, but I believe most STATES, including OHIO require 6months residency prior to buying a "Resident" License.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
SEOBowhntr said:
Coming from someone from Illinois, where they want $500:)eek: )for a NR Whitetail Tag, I am not surprised. Remember, it would cost $500 each, actually, I think the deer tag is around $300, so for the two of them they'd be looking at $600!!!!!! I agree that's a tough call, but I believe most STATES, including OHIO require 6months residency prior to buying a "Resident" License.

Iowa is only 30 days! :wink:

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
can you buy muley tags over the counter???? I thought they were draw only?:confused:

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
FULLTIMEHUNTER said:
can you buy muley tags over the counter???? I thought they were draw only?:confused:
I believe you are Right FullTime!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Deer Stabber said:
Why cant they come home for deer season, or at least a weekend?
Technically they are no longer residents!

It does suck for them, but there are ways around it. Being in the Marine Corps, I have bought a resident license in a bunch of states, and typically all they ask is if you are or aren't and most of the time you just put a check in the box yourself. I would still go and try to pick one up if I were them..

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
FULLTIMEHUNTER said:
there's a few "leftover" tags available.

Someone is stretching the truth on the cost of nonresident tags.

Almost sounds like he's talking about landowner vouchers.

jwoods said:
Iowa is only 30 days!
That's great, I can move to Iowa at the end of the season and get residency before the end of your season.:wink:

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Roland said:
that is pretty much the law in most western states.
Montana is 6 months also....

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
perchjerker said:
My brother was just transfered to Colorado by a phone company.He was living in Mo,and looking forward to deer season.My nephew (10 yrs old)got
his 1st turkey this year,and was looking for his 1st deer.I bought him a new Browning bow and Gold tips fletched with Blazers .They made the move to South Colorado and were excited about a chance to get a Muley.Heres the kicker,Colorado law says NO HUNTING unless you've been a resident for six months.He could buy a nonresident license,but its $500.He said he'd just wait.I'm most dissappointed about the nephew.Thats the breaks tho.
Maybe after seeing these high non resesident tag prices he will understand what many of us go through every year and start trying to help out with the situation instead of trying to price the average man out of hunting.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Bobmuley said:
That's great, I can move to Iowa at the end of the season and get residency before the end of your season.:wink:

If you do it, I'll take you out!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
slinger09 said:
Maybe after seeing these high non resesident tag prices he will understand what many of us go through every year and start trying to help out with the situation instead of trying to price the average man out of hunting.
Colorado is still one of the best values for the Non-Res hunter. We have the best mule deer herd in the country, don't tell anyone though. We have the highest elk population in the country. This makes it the best value as well, due to the high hunter success rates.

·
Registered
213 Posts
this is good info to know because my wife and i are looking pretty hard for land in the ft. collins area.
so note to self move 6mo before archery season starts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:darkbeer:

by the way if anyone would be willing to send me ft. collins area news papers and real estate books that would be greatly appreciated i also would pay for them and postage.

sorry for hijacking as well :darkbeer:

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
pronghorn said:
Colorado is still one of the best values for the Non-Res hunter. We have the best mule deer herd in the country, don't tell anyone though. We have the highest elk population in the country. This makes it the best value as well, due to the high hunter success rates.
It's probably easier to say this when you are not forking out a thousand dollars for a couple of tags.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I hate to break the news to you but:
Colorado requires youths to be 12 years of age to hunt big game.
They also must have passed a Hunter Safety course.
There is a break for youth licenses, in the form of reduced fee

They may be better off going back to MO for deer season this year.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts