Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first bow had a DL of 30", and I was shooting fine with it back to 45 yds. Now that my new bow has the correct DL (28"), and is sighted in, arrows are flying everywhere! My local pro set it up and I trust him that it's right, but I feel cramped and can't seem to get my grip correct. Ugh! Any suggestions?

· Registered
12,595 Posts
My first bow had a DL of 30", and I was shooting fine with it back to 45 yds. Now that my new bow has the correct DL (28"), and is sighted in, arrows are flying everywhere! My local pro set it up and I trust him that it's right, but I feel cramped and can't seem to get my grip correct. Ugh! Any suggestions?
Are you sure 28" is the correct draw length? Have you worked with a coach to determine this or did someone at the pro-shop tell you it was too long? That is the mantra of pro-shops these days. The question is, do they really have a "pro" or is it a guy that works the counter there and they don't stock any bows over a certain length?

· *Chick Repellent*
21,419 Posts
Take a few pics and post em up. Only way to tell for sure. Heck you could be a 29" draw for all we know at this point. lol :D

But if 28" does end up being your correct draw length then I say give it some time to get use to it. Not sure how long you have been shooting 30", but shortening your draw by 2" is a BIG move man!!

· Registered
9,007 Posts
Some things that you can look at to see if your new draw length is in the ball park are to stand erect bring the bow to full draw and have someone take a picture of you. The nock of the arrow should be almost straight below your aiming eye. Your draw forearm should be almost inline with the arrow with the tip of your elbow a little higher than the line of the arrow.

If when you are aiming the sight seems to move in a fast jerky motion the draw may be too short. If the sight seems to move in large smooth motions then the draw may be too long.

Just go ahead and post a couple of pictures and you will get many reply's and help.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
your draw length looks perfect to me. the string is right where it needs to be on your face. Its hard to tell what kind of bend you have in your bow arm though. You should have only a slight bend in your bow arm. If you are having to bend your arm quite a bit to get to your anchor then it may be to short. From the pics you posted your draw length looks good though.

· Registered
8,686 Posts
Reason 28 inches looks too long is his stance, his belley button is all but pointing at the target. If he would close his hips to the target, get his belly button more at a right angle to the target. then the distance to the troat of the grip and his anchor would increase and he wouldn't feel so scrunched up. his anchor position would change also. and 28 inches would be about right for him.

if you get an overhead picture you will see your shoulder alignment does not make a nuts and bolts 3 angle triangle, but you 'll have 4 sides to your triangle. look up some of other hows my form threads and see nuts and bolts pictures and lines on the pictures.

· Registered
9,007 Posts
I agree with Bees. Try shooting with your left shoulder and your left hip facing the target. This may feel like you are trying to shoot behind yourself but it will help with the alignment of the bones and will make you steadier during the shot. Now if you can't get your bow arm to move more to the side or rear then you may need an even shorter draw length bow. My thinking is that you should be able to shoot the bow as is but you can usually make small draw length adjustments which will help you to hold steadier.

If you are holding steady and still spraying arrows , then you may need make sure that the arrows are matched to the new bow and go through all the tuning required to get the best performance.

· Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reason 28 inches looks too long is his stance, his belley button is all but pointing at the target. If he would close his hips to the target, get his belly button more at a right angle to the target. then the distance to the troat of the grip and his anchor would increase and he wouldn't feel so scrunched up. his anchor position would change also. and 28 inches would be about right for him.

if you get an overhead picture you will see your shoulder alignment does not make a nuts and bolts 3 angle triangle, but you 'll have 4 sides to your triangle. look up some of other hows my form threads and see nuts and bolts pictures and lines on the pictures.
Thanks for the info. I will adjust my stance to more of a right angle to the target. I think this is why I am having trouble getting my draw elbow up. I'll also read the "nuts and bolts" section and watch the grip video. I checked my quick-tune rest today w/baby powder and the vanes are flying clear. I guess I just need to practice more with the new DL and bow.

· Registered
1,878 Posts
When you get your hips inline with the target, make sure your nuckles(grip hand) are at 45deg or you won't be able to get your elbow turned enough to straighten your front shoulder.

The grip possision starts the set up and controls the intire outcome of the correct form draw.

Come back and show us were you are

It's good for everyone

· Registered
818 Posts
Looks like he's using an open stance to me. Might be better for you to try a square stance instead. The open stance is very helpful for us ladies, and it made a world of difference for my shooting. Perhaps trying the other stance for you will do the same.

· Registered
2,109 Posts
Now that you are using a more square stance, or closed as some would say, give it about a week of shooting to get used to it, then post up some more pics. Here is a good pic of what a good grip is.....

· Registered
3,190 Posts
Scotty are you aware of The Death Grip

Scotty are you aware of The Death Grip. We will have them for the Mission in 2009. No worries about grip anymore and it sounds like you may have to change a cam anyway.
http://www.vanhandle.net

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.