Archery Talk Forum banner

Unsure of shot placement***updated***

35405 Views 207 Replies 58 Participants Last post by  bowtech2006
updated Thank you to everybody that gave me friendly advice I listened to it all as well as the constructive criticism.❤ Thank you to tracker John we were able to recover the deer, sadly it was not in the timeframe that I was hoping for.
(This buck is 8 years old! Such an incredible old warrior. I posted a pic from 2019 when he was much bigger. He’s been going down in size)
Plant Plant community Branch Wood Tree

Plant People in nature Wood Branch Trunk

I have been racking my brain and replaying the shot over and over again, obviously it all happens so fast I can’t pick out certain details that I should remember. A lady here, so please be easy on me. I was sitting in the elevated stand (20 yards) a mature buck walked out, I let him step out to where there would be nothing to get in my way of the shot, the set up looked so perfect- I was very confident. I aimed just a little left from the shoulder. He took off like a bat out of hell, stopped. Tail was not going back-and-forth, and was between the legs. And then he started walking, now looking back I really should’ve got another arrow in him, but I seriously thought that he was going to collapse. And I was so in the moment it actually didn’t cross my mind.

We let him be overnight, went out in the morning hoping that he was going to be expired just to find blood only in places it seems that he took a break. Thinking that he clotted up pretty fast, but there was never much blood anyways, pictures above that I posted. Where he went in was on the edge of the food pot, tracked him up a hill and around and he came out halfway down the food park, so he circle back, we stopped tracking today after that, got a hold of the best tracker in the state, tracker John and he wants to come out in the morning. It’s a shame that the deer will be no good as far as eating but I really hope that I can recover him

I was using a crossbow, with a Swacker blade 1 3/4

The arrow was recovered, had a little bit of hair on it, blood and it did go all the way through him

View attachment 7744642
View attachment 7744641
Food Recipe Ingredient Cuisine Dish

Plant Terrestrial plant Twig Fish Natural material
Smile Hunting Plant Trophy hunting Hat
Hair Plant Hunting Plant community Nature
Elk Deer Organism Horn Reindeer
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

· Registered
30,645 Posts
So what is your reason for joining and posting? Are you seeking some advice or encouragement? If so, you need to supply a LOT more information. You apparently recovered the arrow and did some initial blood trailing. Shot from a treestand or ground? What position was the buck in when you shot? Shot distance? Was it in your effective range or stretched out due to antlers? How did the deer react to the shot and moving away from the scene? Where do you think you hit it? Why wait 30 hours? Is there any water source nearby?

· "Shock n Awe"
5,197 Posts
Hard to tell but looks like blood from muscles not vitals. Maybe low,brisket?

· Registered
20,531 Posts
Looks like some guts and the run and stop and walk off is a sign of guts also.

Was the tail hard tucked or twitching back and forth? Or was it hunched up as it was like walking on tip toes?

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back out and wait. Then look to the closest water source. Good luck man. Yotes gonna get that one
We did back at out . Actually a woman here :) .. dog coming in the morning 🤞 def a shame about the meat.
Looks like muscle blood to me. Any hair at the shot location? Color?
Yes there was a little hair actually. On the bolt. White hair and then brown on the tip, now I wonder if I shot really low

· Registered
16,120 Posts
We did back at out . Actually a woman here :) .. dog coming in the morning 🤞 def a shame about the meat.

Yes there was a little hair actually. On the bolt. White hair and then brown on the tip, now I wonder if I shot really low
I’m guessing low and back, bottom of liver and Some gut… you will find it

1 - 20 of 208 Posts