Archery Talk Forum banner
181 - 200 of 208 Posts

· Registered
3,392 Posts
Dandy buck! Glad you found him. Don't beat yourself up, everything has to go right for things to go the way you'd like then to. There is an as element of luck involved in this sport whether people want to admit it or not.

If the cape isn't salvageable he'll still make an awesome skull or European mount!

· Banned
196 Posts
updated Thank you to everybody that gave me friendly advice I listened to it all as well as the constructive criticism.❤ Thank you to tracker John we were able to recover the deer, sadly it was not in the timeframe that I was hoping for.
(This buck is 8 years old! Such an incredible old warrior. I posted a pic from 2019 when he was much bigger. He’s been going down in size)
View attachment 7745212
View attachment 7745211
I have been racking my brain and replaying the shot over and over again, obviously it all happens so fast I can’t pick out certain details that I should remember. A lady here, so please be easy on me. I was sitting in the elevated stand (20 yards) a mature buck walked out, I let him step out to where there would be nothing to get in my way of the shot, the set up looked so perfect- I was very confident. I aimed just a little left from the shoulder. He took off like a bat out of hell, stopped. Tail was not going back-and-forth, and was between the legs. And then he started walking, now looking back I really should’ve got another arrow in him, but I seriously thought that he was going to collapse. And I was so in the moment it actually didn’t cross my mind.

We let him be overnight, went out in the morning hoping that he was going to be expired just to find blood only in places it seems that he took a break. Thinking that he clotted up pretty fast, but there was never much blood anyways, pictures above that I posted. Where he went in was on the edge of the food pot, tracked him up a hill and around and he came out halfway down the food park, so he circle back, we stopped tracking today after that, got a hold of the best tracker in the state, tracker John and he wants to come out in the morning. It’s a shame that the deer will be no good as far as eating but I really hope that I can recover him

I was using a crossbow, with a Swacker blade 1 3/4

The arrow was recovered, had a little bit of hair on it, blood and it did go all the way through him

View attachment 7744642
View attachment 7744641
View attachment 7744639
View attachment 7744640 View attachment 7745614 View attachment 7746263 View attachment 7747392
Great buck awesome!!!

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Dandy buck! Glad you found him. Don't beat yourself up, everything has to go right for things to go the way you'd like then to. There is an as element of luck involved in this sport whether people want to admit it or not.

If the cape isn't salvageable he'll still make an awesome skull or European mount!
Thank you! And very true, The Cape would slip and the coyotes got part of it. A friend has a cape that I can use I do wish I had his though.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·

m

This was him in 2019, he is eight years old., Been going down in size but what a magnificent deer.

· Registered
1,264 Posts
Just got on here to read the story..Yep people think a crossbow means a slam dunk dead deer...Much can go wrong before the HIT....Bringing down a spooky,nervous,,large strong animal, with a couple flying razor blades is a tricky proposition no matter what anyone says. I have a friend that lost a buck shot with a high powered Rifle...Glad you found him,Congrats

· Registered
63 Posts
Thry are up top
Congrats on a great deer. Further forward and a little lower. I still have the same issue still find deer but if I show a little lower and a little further forward I’d find them faster. Also a fellow crossbow hunter check out swat juggernauts and or xbow mags. They now make 150grain heads but I just used a 100 grain juggernaut with my xbow on a doe and it made short work even though not a perfect shot. I hit both lungs but I’d prefer if the shot was forward a couple inches. Also being a young mother huge props to you for getting out there getting it done and keep doing it. Keep going and get the young ones doing it like I know u and your husband will.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Congrats on a great deer. Further forward and a little lower. I still have the same issue still find deer but if I show a little lower and a little further forward I’d find them faster. Also a fellow crossbow hunter check out swat juggernauts and or xbow mags. They now make 150grain heads but I just used a 100 grain juggernaut with my xbow on a doe and it made short work even though not a perfect shot. I hit both lungs but I’d prefer if the shot was forward a couple inches. Also being a young mother huge props to you for getting out there getting it done and keep doing it. Keep going and get the young ones doing it like I know u and your husband will.
Thank you and thank you for the advice!! I appreciate it!!

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
My kids love to hunt my son is 16 and he passes the young ones! Here’s one that he just took back home in Michigan
Head Snow Hunting Deer hunting Smile

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Thank you and I very much agree
Just got on here to read the story..Yep people think a crossbow means a slam dunk dead deer...Much can go wrong before the HIT....Bringing down a spooky,nervous,,large strong animal, with a couple flying razor blades is a tricky proposition no matter what anyone says. I have a friend that lost a buck shot with a high powered Rifle...Glad you found him,Congrats

· Registered
20,569 Posts
My kids love to hunt my son is 16 and he passes the young ones! Here’s one that he just took back home in Michigan View attachment 7749845
Very nice!!! Congrats to him

From MI myself and southern mi has some really nice deer, and wife and I have some land in Manistee Michigan that holds some nice deer for upnorth in MI

181 - 200 of 208 Posts