Archery Talk Forum banner

Unsure of shot placement***updated***

35327 Views 207 Replies 58 Participants Last post by  bowtech2006
updated Thank you to everybody that gave me friendly advice I listened to it all as well as the constructive criticism.❤ Thank you to tracker John we were able to recover the deer, sadly it was not in the timeframe that I was hoping for.
(This buck is 8 years old! Such an incredible old warrior. I posted a pic from 2019 when he was much bigger. He’s been going down in size)
Plant Plant community Branch Wood Tree

Plant People in nature Wood Branch Trunk

I have been racking my brain and replaying the shot over and over again, obviously it all happens so fast I can’t pick out certain details that I should remember. A lady here, so please be easy on me. I was sitting in the elevated stand (20 yards) a mature buck walked out, I let him step out to where there would be nothing to get in my way of the shot, the set up looked so perfect- I was very confident. I aimed just a little left from the shoulder. He took off like a bat out of hell, stopped. Tail was not going back-and-forth, and was between the legs. And then he started walking, now looking back I really should’ve got another arrow in him, but I seriously thought that he was going to collapse. And I was so in the moment it actually didn’t cross my mind.

We let him be overnight, went out in the morning hoping that he was going to be expired just to find blood only in places it seems that he took a break. Thinking that he clotted up pretty fast, but there was never much blood anyways, pictures above that I posted. Where he went in was on the edge of the food pot, tracked him up a hill and around and he came out halfway down the food park, so he circle back, we stopped tracking today after that, got a hold of the best tracker in the state, tracker John and he wants to come out in the morning. It’s a shame that the deer will be no good as far as eating but I really hope that I can recover him

I was using a crossbow, with a Swacker blade 1 3/4

The arrow was recovered, had a little bit of hair on it, blood and it did go all the way through him

View attachment 7744642
View attachment 7744641
Food Recipe Ingredient Cuisine Dish

Plant Terrestrial plant Twig Fish Natural material
Smile Hunting Plant Trophy hunting Hat
Hair Plant Hunting Plant community Nature
Elk Deer Organism Horn Reindeer
141 - 160 of 208 Posts

· Registered
9,452 Posts
You should frame that picture, it’s a great depiction of the team work involved, glad your long night turned into a recovery, cool stuff! Big old mature buck to boot!

appreciate the update too. Some of the replies you got early in this thread are because some people start accounts just to rile people up, and some will start accounts to ask for help and then never come back with any kind of update, it’s rare one of these threads end up like yours did (authentic with an update)

again, congrats, and I’m glad it worked out for you, and you got a heck of a buck👍
Well said.

· Registered
2,990 Posts
100% correct, I am curious to the rationale of such a long wait time.
General rule of thumb from almost all reputable trackers is 24 hours on a gut shot deer. There’s been many many stories of finding gut shot deer alive after 15-20 hours. Then you have to take into account she’s not the only client. Especially when working with a world known tracker.

· Registered
2,990 Posts
I’m just speaking for me personally this may rub some folks the wrong way but I’m hunting head gear. I’m a trophy hunter. In the misfortune that a bad shot is made I’ll take the risk of finding my deer dead and having spoiled meat over pushing it and never finding it just in hopes of saving a few burgers. After all Chick-fil-A is only closed on sundays. There’s a lot more folks out there like me just too afraid to say it. I hunt racks. Period.

· Registered
9,452 Posts
General rule of thumb from almost all reputable trackers is 24 hours on a gut shot deer. There’s been many many stories of finding gut shot deer alive after 15-20 hours. Then you have to take into account she’s not the only client. Especially when working with a world known tracker.
So with the use of reputable tracker and their experience of living gut shot deer, in reality at that point one is just recovering for the antlers. If that is the case, it would seem that calling a tracker in for a doe, or a BB is just a waste of time or what's the point?

· Registered
9,452 Posts
I’m just speaking for me personally this may rub some folks the wrong way but I’m hunting head gear. I’m a trophy hunter. In the misfortune that a bad shot is made I’ll take the risk of finding my deer dead and having spoiled meat over pushing it and never finding it just in hopes of saving a few burgers. After all Chick-fil-A is only closed on sundays. There’s a lot more folks out there like me just too afraid to say it. I hunt racks. Period.
Got it, so you wouldn't call in a tracker for a gut shot doe? Because if a reputable tracker waits 24 hrs, there is nothing "worth" going after.

· Registered
2,990 Posts
So with the use of reputable tracker and their experience of living gut shot deer, in reality at that point one is just recovering for the antlers. If that is the case, it would seem that calling a tracker in for a doe, or a BB is just a waste of time or what's the point?
Man I’m not sure I don’t even shoot doe. People say you have to have a certain ratio etc.. I see 40-100 plus doe an evening and have zero issues holding Boone and Crocketts yearly.

But more than likely would all be weather dependent. If it’s 12 degrees outside I’d assume the meat is still fine after 24 hours. I’m no meat hunter though don’t go eating old deer on my behalf lol

· Registered
9,452 Posts
Turns out the lungs go way high in a deer in fact over the spine and the best place to hit them is right above the front leg where the heart is. The trick is not to hit it too low and hit the front leg or too high and hit the scapula which is virtually impenetratable with an arrow.
The lungs actually float above and outside the deer like 2 balloons........

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
100% correct, I am curious to the rationale of such a long wait time.
It was gut shot.. didn’t want to push it to the next county
Why are you being a dick.. Her scope doesn't matter. Some of yall need to chill out. I bet everyone of you have lost a deer or 2.. either try to help or stfu .
thank you!

· Registered
9,452 Posts

thank you!

thank you!

thank you!
I had to go back and reread, so initially you waited overnight, then decided to back out again, then no joy, so then decided to call in tracker, which extended the wait time. It makes sense now, and my confusion was due to my own speed reading. I have been there before with a gut shot, though I have been lucky to recover in cool weather and in a good time frame.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Yes, glad to have some closure but super sad about the waist

I had to go back and reread, so initially you waited overnight, then decided to back out again, then no joy, so then decided to call in tracker, which extended the wait time. It makes sense now, and my confusion was due to my own speed reading. I have been there before with a gut shot, though I have been lucky to recover in cool weather and in a good time frame.

· Registered
Predominantly bow hunting, but will break out the rifle sitting in a nice cozy warm shooting house
49 Posts
Congrats and happy you found him! Beautiful mature buckaroo. Your efforts and dedication was proportional to the respect you showed for this magnificent animal!

I can so relate and I can only imagine the relief once you found him. I arrowed a nice buck Thanksgiving morning, but since it was a liver shot I waited 4 hours to start searching. Blood vanished after 150 yards. Grid searched alone for 3 hours and finally found him.

Congrats again and thanks for sharing your story

141 - 160 of 208 Posts