Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some of the posts here I am almost frightened to start competing. I was wondering if the AT-brain-trust can enlighten me on some of the "unwritten archery etiquette rules" before I participate in my 1st tournament (which by the way may be this summer).

Although, I started this thread in a half-joking manner......this is a serious inquiry because I don't want to upset anyone and just have a good time. Please avoid mentioning any: names, places, events, etc.

TIA

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
After reading some of the posts here I am almost frightened to start competing. I was wondering if the AT-brain-trust can enlighten me on some of the "unwritten archery etiquette rules" before I participate in my 1st tournament (which by the way may be this summer).

Although, I started this thread in a half-joking manner......this is a serious inquiry because I don't want to upset anyone and just have a good time. Please avoid mentioning any: names, places, events, etc.

TIA
I'll bite even though it appears puppetish.

Don't worry. The tweaking you have seen on some of these threads is not representative of what you will experience at a tournament.

Don't complain or talk about your shot while on the line.
Don't walk off the line if the person on either side of you is drawing or at full draw.
Before you start shooting make sure you aren't going to poke anyone with your quiver or arrows and the person behind you isn't going to poke you.
If you are going to use a scope, double check with the others on your line and ensure they have enough room and are comfortable with the setup.

Have fun!!!

All in all, archers are one of the best groups of people in sports that I have found, you will have a good time.

-Andrew

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'd like to add introduce yourself to the people you share a target with as soon as you can. I also appreciate it when someone asks before they pull my arrows out of the matt. There is one guy I know of who holds the arrows with the same hand as he holds them with. Bugs me.

·
Registered
967 Posts
There is one guy I know of who holds the arrows with the same hand as he holds them with. Bugs me.
Tell me, does he pull the arrows with the same hand as he pulls them with, too? :wink:

At most local tournaments, they give a quick rundown of the rules before everybody starts. Can't go wrong by following them, that might be one of the bigger etiquette things.

-James

·
Registered
3,782 Posts

TIA
Here are some "written" archery rules" in the form of DOS announcements.
http://www.azjoad.com/main/forms/dos_tournament_announcement_1-2007.pdf
By listening to the tournament officials, you can get a sense of what is important to them as they try to officiate a fair, effective and efficient event for everyone.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Tell me, does he pull the arrows with the same hand as he pulls them with, too? :wink:

At most local tournaments, they give a quick rundown of the rules before everybody starts. Can't go wrong by following them, that might be one of the bigger etiquette things.

-James
Touche! I was typing that message on my cel phone in the car :eek: and wasn't paying enough attention to either.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some "written" archery rules" in the form of DOS announcements.
http://www.azjoad.com/main/forms/dos_tournament_announcement_1-2007.pdf
By listening to the tournament officials, you can get a sense of what is important to them as they try to officiate a fair, effective and efficient event for everyone.
thanks SF this is good stuff!

On another note......
When lined up and shooting begins, I noticed that the archers seems to take turns shooting in almost an offsetting rhythm (more so in competition than practice). Maybe I'm too new to the sport, but it doesn't bother me when people around me shoot because I'm only doing the archery for the fun of it anyways and I don't have a set rhythm that I follow.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if other people around me are bothered by my inexperience and varied shooting pace? Is it a unwritten rule that everyone take turns shooting?......that is, if there is still time left on the clock (2min/end).

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Shoot your own pace. If I waited to take turns, or rather, if someone waited to take turns with me, they would run out of clock!! I push the clock just worrying about my own arrows.
Certainly be mindful of leaving the line if someone is at full draw, but clearly focus on your own shot sequence and rhythm...including time between arrows.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Nah, depends on the shooter. Some I've shot with take turns, some just fire away. I usually "take turns" mainly because I spend a second getting into the right mindset, and the shooter with me seems to get drawing right at the whistle. I do tend to shoot into my own rhythm though, so sometimes I'm going when the guys around me are, especially if I'm on the yellow and a couple of arrows are waiting their turn...

As far as bugging other shooters rhythmwise, that is beyond your control and therefore beyond your concern. Do your thing, they'll do theirs, you'll have a great time. By and large archery tournaments are very enjoyable, populated as they are by others who love shooting as much as you do.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I don't know if you shoot a recurve or compound but if you use a clicker you'll want it to go off when you can hear/feel it, which is a bit difficult when the person beside you releases their arrow just as you go through the clicker (bow noise). - John

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I do use a clicker, and agreed, another bow firing can be a distraction. I find I am most susceptible when I know the clicker is just about to fall. But, what can you do, it does happen from time to time, especially when 3 of you are all trying to get those last arrows off while sitting on yellow...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.