Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Hoyt // Easton // Hamskea // Scott // Shrewd // CBE
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just bought a Podium X with Spiral Pros.
Is it possible to upgrade from Spiral Pro cams to SVX cams?

They seem similar and compatible cams at first sight?
SVX seems faster and seem to have a smoother pull and valley?

Anybody has done it here? What was the effect on poundage (if any), speed and behavior of the bow?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts

Can't say this with 100% certainty....but yes. You can swap Spiral Pro to SVX but may need to order Prevail strings.

Yes, the SVX is smoother and has a wee-little more valley. I imagine it may be faster but I can not verify that.

Anybody has done it here? What was the effect on poundage (if any), speed and behavior of the bow?
If I am not mistaken, the limbs on your Podium X are Identical to the Prevail (image is different but not deflection). They should pull the same weight. As far as speed my guess is a few FPS boost. Behavior will be very similar if not identical as far as feedback. If anything, they may be a tad softer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Can't say this with 100% certainty....but yes. You can swap Spiral Pro to SVX but may need to order Prevail strings.

Yes, the SVX is smoother and has a wee-little more valley. I imagine it may be faster but I can not verify that.

If I am not mistaken, the limbs on your Podium X are Identical to the Prevail (image is different but not deflection). They should pull the same weight. As far as speed my guess is a few FPS boost. Behavior will be very similar if not identical as far as feedback. If anything, they may be a tad softer.
Interesting, comparing the tune charts from Prevail and Podium, I would tend to have custom strings and cables made with lengths sitting right in between the two of them (or go with the longer and get ready to twist), there is a couple 1/16ths of differences mainly due to ATA slight difference I guess (comparing #3cams)?

I am going to start shooting the Spiral Pros and see, In the meantime, would be nice to hear from someone that have done it ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hi,

I made an analysis and calculated reference proportions of the cables and strings VS the ATA length from existing SVX cam'd bow (Prevail 37 SVX) and also Spiral Pro cam'd bow (PXE 37 Spiral Pro).

Here are the results of my alalysis, perhaps it would be a good starting point for the conversion, does that sounds about right?

Cheers,

Text Line Font Number Parallel

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stick with the spiral pros, great cams.
Yes I love the SpiralPros so far.
I was shooting z5s from my ProEdge before.
I like the Spiral pros because of low let-off and almost no valley, keeps me "awake" thru the shot and pulling consistent on that solid wall.
Not like the Z5s where I was kind of creeping in the large valley at high let off and did't like the wall as well, felt like I could pull an extra 1/2" in that soft wall, those would do for a good hunting bow though. Just a matter of personnal preference.

Thanks for input

·
Registered
75 Posts
SVX is not an "upgrade" to a Spiral Pro. One is optimized for a bow that draws from [near] center like a podium X (Spiral Pro) and one is optimized for bows that hold from [near] center, like a Prevail.

The SVX has the added feature of the "hard" and "soft" cable stops for the buss cable on the bottom cam, maybe you could see that added feature as an upgrade.

IF you did swap SVX cams onto a Podium you'd maybe lose performance and tuneability. Remember a Podium had the grip near center, but the Invicta and Prevail had the grip down and D-loop near center. The cams feel pretty much the same so I'd imagine they're just adjusting to a different geometrical constraint with the grip moved down.

My bet is you'd lose performance and tuneability by swapping a podium to SVX cams.

Or maybe everything would be fine.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I would suggest calling Hoyt and talking to a tech. If anyone knows the particulars of the different specs, they would. They could advise if this was indeed doable or not, and give string and cable lengths and poundage specs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SVX is not an "upgrade" to a Spiral Pro. One is optimized for a bow that draws from [near] center like a podium X (Spiral Pro) and one is optimized for bows that hold from [near] center, like a Prevail.

The SVX has the added feature of the "hard" and "soft" cable stops for the buss cable on the bottom cam, maybe you could see that added feature as an upgrade.

IF you did swap SVX cams onto a Podium you'd maybe lose performance and tuneability. Remember a Podium had the grip near center, but the Invicta and Prevail had the grip down and D-loop near center. The cams feel pretty much the same so I'd imagine they're just adjusting to a different geometrical constraint with the grip moved down.

My bet is you'd lose performance and tuneability by swapping a podium to SVX cams.

Or maybe everything would be fine.
Sounds good, thanks for input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts