Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a long history with Darton. I started with a Cyclone LD (CPS 6) in 1999. A year or so later, I bought a well used 90s Wrangler and put a set of Revolution Archery hatchet cams I had on a PSE back in the early 90s on it. The Rev' cams promptly blew up the limbs, and it took a couple years to find a new set, so I adapted limbs from an XI I had retired. Shot bunch of 3D with it. It was kinda noisy so I didn't hunt with it.

In 2008 I bought the competition 2006 Tempest from a fellow here on Archery Talk. It shot so well I absolutely had to have one to hunt with, so I bought the second Tempest as my #1 hunting bow, and retired the 1999 Cyclone which I'd hunted with for 9 seasons. A fellow on AT bought the Cyclone.

So, per the thread title, I just closed a deal on a 2016 DS3800. :) I'll have to get a draw length module on order, hopefully on Tuesday. I'm excited about the performance step up. I'm planning to move to a nice set of ACC Pro Hunter 300 spine arrows for hunting. They are heavier than the Bemans I hunt with now, but I expect a bit more speed and bunch more KE from the new combination.

The competition Tempest will continue in that role for spots, field, and FITA type events. It is possible the 3800 will displace the Tempest for field and FITA because the speed will be nice for long shots. We'll have to see how well I shoot it.

My current Tempest hunting bow which I've carried into the woods for 9 seasons will continue serving as the back up hunter. That means I'll also shoot some 3D with it in the summer.

The mid-90s Wrangler will get disassembled and set aside.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I received the modules today. I got them installed and shot a few arrows in my basement range. I need to get to my club to finish the basic tuning. I'll need to get to a pro shop as I don't have a chronograph. I'm amazed by the solid back wall. The Tempests have a good back wall, but the 3800 is like brick. To the club tomorrow afternoon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts