Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the significance of the Upper 12? Can't visualize it when watching YouTube broadcasts, and curious as to why it needs to be called if one wants to shoot it while apparently the regular 12 does not. In general [not specific to any animal], where is it in relation to the rest of the scoring rings?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Lower 12 is automatically in play so you do not have to call it. When you call upper 12, that means the lower 12 is no longer in play. The upper 12 is the top of the 3 circles in the 10 ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
The lower 12 is always in play as it sits on the hind side of the lower 10. The reason the upper is usually called is the lower 12 is clogged with arrows and a glance out is probable. So the shooter calls upper to make it in play (eliminating the lower from play) to shoot a higher score. Some also call the upper 12 because the 8 ring has more space above the 10 ring as gives a wee bit of insurance from smacking a 5. It is nothing short of shooting strategy. I seldom call uppers while many I shoot with call them often. I will call an upper if the 12 in clogged up bad but that's the exception. I know some who always call uppers every shot as that is what they are comfortable with. I generally miss on the high side so upper calling for me is rare. If I go for one I generally aim high IBO instead of gunning for the upper.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, if the upper 12 is called, and the lower is "no longer in play," does that mean the lower 12 becomes a 10? Or is it just out of play for the archer who calls it?

Just curious, one day I'll set up a rig and try a little 3D, but honestly anything better than a miss will be bonus and just hitting the foam will be a victory... Or blind luck!

·
Registered
253 Posts
So, if the upper 12 is called, and the lower is "no longer in play," does that mean the lower 12 becomes a 10? Or is it just out of play for the archer who calls it?

Just curious, one day I'll set up a rig and try a little 3D, but honestly anything better than a miss will be bonus and just hitting the foam will be a victory... Or blind luck!
Correct, if the upper is called, and the archer hits the lower, only 10 points are received.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Upper 12’s in general are utilized more by shooters in the unknown class it seems. When you are judging distance and let’s say you’ve been judging short by a few yards all day, then you walk up to a target that you think is 46 yards. The last thing you want to do on a 46 yard target is shoot it at 44 yards. So if you’re thinking it’s 44, you know you’ve been hitting low, give yourself 1 yard by shooting it at 45 and go upper 12. Chances are you’ll hit the bottom of the upper 12 or land a 10 which is much better than missing the lower 12 and getting an 8. It has to do with strategy and real estate on the target. Some targets have larger room for error near the upper 13. Take a look at the warthog. Prime example.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

Distance from the lower 12 to the 8 line is maybe 2-3”. Distance from upper 12 to the 8 line is probably closer to 4”. In this situation it makes more sense to shoot at an upper, unless it’s already full of arrows.

·
#teamPSE
5,567 Posts
^^ this all depends on the target tho. The cats, I almost always call upper; way more room to hit an 8 high than low. I aim at the upper on the tapir cuz i can see my pin better on the black and again more real estate north of upper for an 8. I usually aim at the upper on the warthog cuz he really curls under his belly at the lower. I usually go upper on the russian boar too because the lower is at about 8oclock verses 7 oclock on most targets,

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
^^ this all depends on the target tho. The cats, I almost always call upper; way more room to hit an 8 high than low. I aim at the upper on the tapir cuz i can see my pin better on the black and again more real estate north of upper for an 8. I usually aim at the upper on the warthog cuz he really curls under his belly at the lower. I usually go upper on the russian boar too because the lower is at about 8oclock verses 7 oclock on most targets,
Yeah I agree. Just tried to use that as an example. The black cat always seems to be easiest to hit upper 12’s on for me. I can always aim off the muscle in the shoulder

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I know what it is,...I have yet to understand why it is there. if you are shooting a spot target, there is no alternative spot to shoot at,..everybody has to shoot the same target. you don't get extra points for hittng an upper 12, so what is the purpose for it?. if some people have a harder time hitting the regular 12 because of it's location,....that is the name of the game,....you have to learn to shoot the difficult shots, too, just like everyone else,... not everybody can win,.....the game needs to have loosers, too, or it's not a game. a difficult shot, is a difficult shot,.....there should be no getting out from under it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I know what it is,...I have yet to understand why it is there. if you are shooting a spot target, there is no alternative spot to shoot at,..everybody has to shoot the same target. you don't get extra points for hittng an upper 12, so what is the purpose for it?. if some people have a harder time hitting the regular 12 because of it's location,....that is the name of the game,....you have to learn to shoot the difficult shots, too, just like everyone else,... not everybody can win,.....the game needs to have loosers, too, or it's not a game. a difficult shot, is a difficult shot,.....there should be no getting out from under it.
The times I see it used the most is for when the lower 12 is already taken by 2 or 3 others so there is no chance to really fit another shot in that ring. Extreme angles also render the upper or lower 12 impossible to shoot.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I had a mathews factory shooter explain it to me in London. As along with many of the correct answers above. If you shoot at the upper 12 and hit low it’s still a ten. Unlike the lower 12. If you miss low it’s an 8. Also it’s defense alike. He will shoot upper when lower is clogged like above mentioned but he will chose which 12 by the position of the arrows shot before him. If one or the other are marked to make it an easier shot. That will dictate the shot. I’ll post a picture from that day to give you a visual 1473CE2C-3DB7-4E5E-AC67-8CF816CB3F10.jpg

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Hitting the upper 12 has the same level of difficulty as the lower... MOST of the time. It's primary purpose is to give the shooter another aimpoint when the lower is stuffed full of arrows. If it didn't exist, there would be more glance outs. It's one thing to loose because you shot poorly, it's another to take a 5 because there were 3 27 series arrows already in the 12 ring and you happen to be the last shooter in the order....

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
I think it's Jack Wallace who always calls the upper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts