Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yes I know I need to change the stabilizer & wrist sling- I'm considering having it dipped black/carbon cos you cannot buy the Sorbotek stabilizers anymore.

Brown came kinda late and I opened the box up, drew it once, and threw it in my bow case and headed to the shop. Set the loop 1/8" above square, eyeballed the centershot, got the LD cord set, peep in, and sight on. It's 28.5" AMO dead nuts, 59 pounds. 6 & 1/8" brace.

301 Grain Carbon Tech Cheetah shot 318 FPS.
388 grain ICS Hunter shot 287 FPS

As you can see it has an EXTRA LONG serving. I'm confident I will be at or over 320 IBO and 290 with the hunting shaft when it gets a "proper" serving on it. The string is supposedly built by Stone Mountain and after a few shots, settled in (at leats for the time being).

But who gives a crap about speed if it won't shoot, right? It took me a few shots to get my 20 yard pin where it needed to be, and then I shot my first 3 arrow group which was 2 ICSH stacked on top of one another and one about 1/2" away. My next 2 groups were the same. I even took a nice picture with my phone camera...and forgot to save it

I've had 3 of them now, and these Binary cam bows just flat out rule the roost as far as I am concerned. They aim better than anything I've ever had in my hands, the limb stop cannot be beat, they are easy peasy to tune, absolutely stack arrows, and are quick as all get out. They are a little stiff on the back end of the draw but that I can live with for all the positives traits. I immediately was shooting this bow with far less effort than I thought it would require with a 6" brace height.

The bow has little recoil and vibration considering- it's not as gentle as my Admiral to shoot (and did not expect it to be), but its right in there with the GT-500 and AM35 for recoil. I put a pair of Limbavers on, and really the difference was insignificant.- kinda pi$$ed me off I spent the $ on them. The noise is slightly more than the GT500 or a 82nd or X force, but the guys at the shop a said that it's actually quieter than I'm perceiving it when shooting.

I'd urge everyone to take a good look at the 2009 Warthog. This is serious bang for the buck, and is a very shootablespeed bow.

Big Thanks to Terry & Ken @ Martin Archery! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Congrats on one Hell of a nice bow! I have owned darned near everything BUT a Martin. After reading more and more posts like these I am having the urge to just order one and see what the fuss is all about. Thanks for taking the time to post pics and a decent review!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
:greenwithenvy: I love it! I bet those strings will suprise you,they have treated me well on my slayer. Nice bow!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Great looking bow! I plan to order pretty much the same bow as soon as my Alien arrives...

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
One problem, those strings should cross below the cable guard rod. Sweet bow I love the all black Martin Bows!

·
Banned
6,593 Posts
that thing is sweet!!

pardon me for prying, if you dont mine me asking, how much coin did that set you back for the bow? i was going to look at buying one and the dealer here wants $739 for one in all camo.

·
Registered
12,911 Posts
I shot a Wart it's a nice bow IMO much nicer than some other '09 speed demons

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments everyone! :D

:greenwithenvy: I love it! I bet those strings will suprise you,they have treated me well on my slayer. Nice bow!
I' ve had SM strings before on Bowtechs (stock). They are great strings, but this one gave me one full rev on the peep, which has never happened with the SM strings I used before, but I'll be getting some custom colors/string-cables at some point anyway.

One problem, those strings should cross below the cable guard rod.
Thats what I would have thought, however thats the way it came from the factory right out of the box, so I left it as is. Maybe someone could clarify?

that thing is sweet!!

pardon me for prying, if you dont mine me asking, how much coin did that set you back for the bow? i was going to look at buying one and the dealer here wants $739 for one in all camo.
I was one of the lucky people who had a guitar that I no longer played and Terry Martin wanted. It was a straight up trade. My dealer last night told me their selling price for the hog was $729 in camo. I think the hunter black/blue finishes are extra $.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bump just because I'm excited as hell about this bow :thumb:

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
Bumpity bump.

Nice bow, Jeff. Good to hear it is shooting well for you.

My summer project involves a set of Cat cams (from LeEarl), a heavily reflexed riser, and beyond parallel limbs. We'll have to compare notes.:D

·
Registered
5,465 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You are correct. They should be crossed below the cable guard.
Every Martin I have ever seen setup had them cross below like the one shown here on their site.

http://www.martinarchery.com/warthog.php
Well, I see why they cross them above - The cables rub together if you cross them below with the cable slide Martin is using (and yes I reversed it). as it is I get good fletch clearance with high profile vanes- I think a different slider with more depth/separation would exchange one problem (rubbing) for two more (fletch clearance - unless I pushed the bar out more, and then there are torque issues).

At any rate, the bow is driving tacks- I think I should leave well enough alone unless someone has a better suggestion? :decision:

And thanks everyone for the comments :D: This is a industry sleeper for sure. Best Martin I've owned since my 1997 Rage XRG w/Z cams (man, I loved that bow)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts