Archery Talk Forum banner

Do you Urinate off your tree stand?

• YES Do you Urinate from your tree stand?

Votes: 36 40.4%
  • NO I would not dare urinate from my deer stand

Votes: 53 59.6%
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear that some AT members( I would not call them serious hunters) regulary urinate form tree stands while hunting deer

How wide spread is this practice?

Vote please

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I rarely hunt from a stand, prefering to spot & stalk. When I am forced to stand hunt, if I must relieve myself then I am busted anyway and through for the day in that part of the country.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tree stands only please

we are talking about tree stands not ground blinds

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Gosh I got that part Tink... we got Pine Trees in East Texas too...
Still don't pee out of them... and I've hunted in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina. I have used one of them confounded tree thingys a time or two... don't like to but I have...:D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Although i do not do it myself,i feel that it is just the smell of a Predator to the Deer.They cant tell which Predator left the scent.They smell predator smell's everyday in their travel's,and if these smells really bothered them all that much,you wouldn't see them traipsing around the wood lot's,all that often.Could they tell man urine from fox,or Coyote? I seriously doubt it. JMO.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I doubt many predators, except man drink coffee, tea, cokes, whiskey or beer….
I’m not saying you can’t kill deer and pee from your stand, but I wouldn’t do it and as I said if I have to relieve myself I figure I’m busted anyway….
Now don’t get me wrong, I am not religious about scent control, I’m more worried about movement while hunting.

Sometimes deer will do the strangest things…30 or so years ago before I quit smoking, I was still-hunting down along the Colorado River near Austin, Texas and took a break to pee and have a smoke. Well I leaned against an old dead pecan tree, enjoying the view along the river bluff, when I looked behind me here was a doe walking up the same trail. I stood still, cigarette, hanging from my lips, she steps right over the wet spot and passes so close to me I couldn’t resist myself; I reached out and slapped her on the rump. Scared her even sillier… I laughed so hard it hurt.

So sometimes it just don’t matter….

·
Registered
32 Posts
Last year a buddy of mine told me about a study that he had read that was done on deer and urine between carnivores and herbivores. Apparently they did shy away from the carnivore's more than herbivore, but nothing drastic.

I still would not take the chance.

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
I pee everywhere I can. I write my name in the dust. When I'm done, I spell "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" with what's left. I want everyone who stumbles accross my area to know it's mine. If ya walk under my tree I'll pee on you, too. :cool:

Seriously, yeah, I pee. Never seems to spook the deer. If they smell ME though, it's a different story. 'course, where I hunt, human activity is not foreign.

·
Registered
ILF Recurve 45# @ 28", 62" length with a FF 16 strand string.
2,727 Posts
It's a curiousity thing with deer. Sometimes they'll check it out and other times they'll just walk on by.

Also, the sound of urine hitting the leaves can attract deer. A deer thinks that there's another deer in the area, by hearing that sound. A hunting buddy of mine witnessed this himself. They did not spook when they smelled the area.

Another hunting buddy of mine had a "nuisance" hunter in the area that would leave just before dark (prime time hunting) and basically ruin any chance of deer walking by. So, when he left (after dark) he stopped by his tree and urinated on it every night, for about 3 days in a row and then hunted elsewhere. About 3 weeks later this guy ran into my hunting buddy at Wal-Mart and told him the strange behavior of a buck that walked right under his stand sniffing his tree....while he drew and shot him through the spine. It turned out to be a nice 8 pointer. :p

It depends on the area you hunt as to how much exposure deer may or may not get to people. :rolleyes:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
852 Posts
I use a "bottle" for pretty much everything except rifle hunting, and even then sometimes... To me, while in the woods, the absolute best scent is NO scent...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
441 Posts
I read the article in deer and deer hunting about urinating on stands.I agree with georgestrings.If I don't pee off my stand I dont have to worry if I'm right or wrong,No scent left behind.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I agree with gstrings. In fact if I am going on a morning hunt I will take a bottle with me in case I get up in the tree and have to go.:D On the other hand I have heard stories of people peeing in scrapes, and bucks coming back to hit the scrapes again. I think you are taking to big of a chance doing that!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
DT, I'm with you. I do when I need to. Never bothered the deer where I hunt unless they see me hangin out the door.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Recently read an interview with Mike Weaver in the October 2003 edition of Bowhunting World. Mike has 43 bucks in the P&Y books. More than anyone else, ever. I'd guess he knows something about hunting, and he says he even pees in his mock scrapes and it works as good as commercial deer urine. That human urine does not alarm deer one bit. I have no reason to doubt his opinion, as I have never seen a deer appear more than curious when finding a spot where I had relieved myself.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
LAZY???????
Well for one if your anywhere near where I have been so lazy enought to pee...Your tresspassing....;) ....And if you can honestly tell me that the deer know who or what did it then I might listen...But I have killed for more deer peeing near my stand than I have that so called bottled deer pee crap that they love to sell you as a sure fire way to get deer....:mad: ...And I sure dont need anyone that promotes such a gimmick to tell me that I am "lazy"....Maybe I should start my own poll...I am a free American so I guess I can........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
488 Posts
kinda hard for me to pee off my stand...im a girl......the golden rule...PEE BEFORE YOU GO!!!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
oldreloader, matsicon - Yeah, that's the way I see it, too... I'm not saying that human urine spooks them, or anything else, but it *could* - and, by MY way of thinking, if I don't leave ANY scent behind, I KNOW I'm not hurting my efforts any... I'm also not a big believer in cover scents, figuring that deer will eventually connect them to your movents in and out of your stands, and peg you THAT way... I try to make my impact on my hunting woods as small as possible, and figure that gives me my best chance for sucess - also, I believe in wearing knee high boots(that are ONLY worn while hunting, and otherwise kept CLEAN), with my pants legs tucked in, and not touching anything as much as possible, going in and out of the woods... Before doing that, I personally have seen deer spook at the ground scent I left behind during my approach to my stand - it IS amazing just how sensitive their noses are - especially the older ones(bigger nose)...

LX_Shooter - Who said anything about anyone being "lazy" - I must've missed it... I'm not saying I'm right, just what I believe, and what I've seen, and what works for me - that's all... I haven't had much luck using the "bottled deer pee"(as you put it), either - and I've pretty much tried them all(spent a small fortune doing so, too) - I HAVE had good sucess using the solids, though - I think they stay fresher longer(don't get an ammonia smell to them), and make applying them, without leaving any human scent behind, easier...

bowgodez - You can "do" it - you just gotta try a little harder than us guys, is all(would look pretty funny, though - hahaha)... If you decide to try, though - make sure you're still hooked to the tree - we wouldn't want you to fall out, now would we???

- georgestrings

1 - 20 of 68 Posts