Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Genesis 21:20
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't that long ago (it seems) that this would be all the conversation on the FITA forum. Not sure what's changed, but I was surprised to log in and see nothing about the ongoing US Olympic trials.

Here are the results up to today.

I see some familiar names there, and plenty of new ones. From what I know, this would be Olympic trials #8 for Vic.

No real surprises at the top, unless you want to count Oh in 2nd place but he's been shooting well for a while now.

Mac is making this a contest in the women's division. Gonna be real interesting if she makes the trip to Tokyo instead of Casey.

Reactions: FerrumVeritas

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mackenzie's doing really well, but I just don't see her overtaking Casey. I kind of want her to though. All things being equal, I prefer that an older archer make it as the younger archer has more chances. Not that 26 is old by any reasonable measure.

Brady's margins over Jack are really impressive. If we had two spots, I think the men's side would be a competition. But it doesn't look like anyone is even close to Brady right now.

·
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mackenzie's doing really well, but I just don't see her overtaking Casey. I kind of want her to though. All things being equal, I prefer that an older archer make it as the younger archer has more chances. Not that 26 is old by any reasonable measure.

Brady's margins over Jack are really impressive. If we had two spots, I think the men's side would be a competition. But it doesn't look like anyone is even close to Brady right now.
Why it would be interesting is that Casey earned the quota with her performance at the Pan Am (?) games. But she knows the rules as well as anyone, and either of them would be a good selection. They are very well matched. Neither lost a match today, which is what I'd expect from those two.

And Brady is uncatchable but then he's one of the top 4-5 archers in the world with 3x Olympic experience, so he should be.

I honestly hope all this isn't for nothing with the most recent stories coming out of Tokyo.

·
Desert Island Trading Co.
4,808 Posts
It's not that interesting when they dont release the actual points rankings so we can see who needs what to move up. The last points standing that was released had Casey in first by 8 points after the first stage. Now 2 more stages and nothing from USA archery on what the actual ranking is with points. So i cant tell if Casey is still ahead or if the lead has diminished.

So i guess we will all just waiting until its over and USA Archery names the team.

even the Koreans list the actual standings after each stage in addition to the match results and scores.

Chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's not that interesting when they dont release the actual points rankings so we can see who needs what to move up. The last points standing that was released had Casey in first by 8 points after the first stage. Now 2 more stages and nothing from USA archery on what the actual ranking is with points. So i cant tell if Casey is still ahead or if the lead has diminished.

So i guess we will all just waiting until its over and USA Archery names the team.

even the Koreans list the actual standings after each stage in addition to the match results and scores.

Chris
I mean...except it is released...

·
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since I am fortunate enough to be local to have Vic as my teacher, I am rooting for him!! That said, I don’t know enough about how all these points and matches work to follow along with any real closeness. Surely they’re all amazing performers at this rate.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Interesting. Excuse my ignorance - I’ve lost track of what’s left in the way of quotas - is it possible for either the men or women to qualify a full team at Berlin (or is it Paris) or is one per gender locked in?

Interesting to see the names Wukie and Garret towards the top of the list too...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Interesting. Excuse my ignorance - I’ve lost track of what’s left in the way of quotas - is it possible for either the men or women to qualify a full team at Berlin (or is it Paris) or is one per gender locked in?

Interesting to see the names Wukie and Garret towards the top of the list too...
If we were qualifying a full team, it would be a tight race for that third place spot.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think I saw GT write in another thread that there is still a chance to qualify a full team based on team performance at the World Cup event in France. Can anyone confirm that (yes, I'm being lazy and not Googling it).

Mathematically, Vic doesn't have a chance at this point, but I do like seeing one of the now "old guys" of our JOAD generation still mixing it up. (Side note, when did all of my friends get old?)

·
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I think I saw GT write in another thread that there is still a chance to qualify a full team based on team performance at the World Cup event in France. Can anyone confirm that (yes, I'm being lazy and not Googling it).

Mathematically, Vic doesn't have a chance at this point, but I do like seeing one of the now "old guys" of our JOAD generation still mixing it up. (Side note, when did all of my friends get old?)
Right! Last few times I saw Vic, I had to tease him about his gray hair. :D He was only 28 when we first shot together, and I know many of you here go much further back with him than that. Seeing his name up there makes me think I should start training again. :D

I do think that's what gt said - that there is still a chance to qualify a full team, but IIRC they would have to win the event? Not sure. I suppose we'll see how that goes. Its kinda odd having these trials before we know how many will go. I mean, if you finish 2nd or 3rd at that point, are you an Olympian or not? Don't know yet I suppose, which is weird. Your Olympic fate could be completely in someone else's hands, which again, is weird. But it is what it is. All the men's and women's teams had to do was win their first match at the WC's to qualify a full team (again, IIRC). It sure won't look good on Lee's record that he never qualified a full women's squad in his tenure as head coach, and is at risk to be the first in four decades to not qualify either full squad. A less than 50% reporting rate isn't what celebrity coaches are hired for.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think it would the first time that the U.S. has not sent a full men's team, ever! (At least since the re-introduction to the Olympic Games in '72). In professional sports it would be a fire-able offense to oversee the level of mediocrity that KSL has overseen with the women's team let alone be the coach of the first team in almost 50 years to not qualify for the biggest event in the sport.

·
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I think it would the first time that the U.S. has not sent a full men's team, ever! (At least since the re-introduction to the Olympic Games in '72). In professional sports it would be a fire-able offense to oversee the level of mediocrity that KSL has overseen with the women's team let alone be the coach of the first team in almost 50 years to not qualify for the biggest event in the sport.
We only selected two men and two women in 76 and 80, but it appears that no country sent more than 2+2 in those years. That was before the team event. However in 72 we sent three of each so I'm not sure what changed in 76 and 80. Perhaps Rick can tell us.

Olympians - USA Archery

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Too bad there aren't videos of this- it would be fun to watch and you can learn so much more about who is shooting well or not-- or did I just miss them somewhere??

I have enjoyed watching videos from last weeks
Lausanne 2021 Hyundai Archery World Cup

Brady was there otherwise not much from the Americans.

·
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't realize that there were four world records broken yesterday by Brady, Mac, Oh and Casey. That's pretty fantastic shooting.

·
Life is short, live it!
1,203 Posts
The Americans have been up to something! Great shooting.! :cool: Awesome to see the strong scoring and new records. My Google-fu is weak - is there video available?

·
Desert Island Trading Co.
4,808 Posts
finally some actual rankings

Women's

Men's

I think Casey's 7 point lead is too much for MacKenzie to overcome. She has only gained one point since the first trials on her.

Props to Rebekah Hill for coming into the trials and gaining 5 points. She went into the second stage with no points as she was an add in after other ladies dropped out of the top 16 cut.

The men's team third spot is still up for grabs. Though the men's team in general has to win at Paris to get three spots. Same for the women side.

Otherwise it looks like Brady and Casey are headed to Tokyo. At least that should be pretty deadly for a shot at the mixed team podium.

Chris

·
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's approx 36 national teams vying for the remaining 3 team places in Paris next month.

The fireworks will be if the USA, France and Italy meet early in the draw.... 😉 😄
Thanks for the update. I haven't kept track of who did what when, where, and who needs to win or podium or whatever. I'm not paid enough to follow the Olympic quota process. :D

·
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Casey has held a steady 8 pt. lead over Mac for two days now. That would be almost impossible to overcome in just one day, but I've seen some odd things happen.

Brady's margins over Jack are impressive, but Jack has widened the gap between himself and 3rd place too. Kinda reminds me of watching Vic and Butch, and later Brady and Jake, pull away from the pack, leaving everyone else to compete for one spot.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts