Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mackenzie's doing really well, but I just don't see her overtaking Casey. I kind of want her to though. All things being equal, I prefer that an older archer make it as the younger archer has more chances. Not that 26 is old by any reasonable measure.

Brady's margins over Jack are really impressive. If we had two spots, I think the men's side would be a competition. But it doesn't look like anyone is even close to Brady right now.

If history is any indication, younger archers would have a much better chance in getting the individual Olympic gold if the older archer has participated in the Olympics before.

·
Genesis 21:20
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Cut to the top 8 yesterday. Looks like a simulated team round for today.

Here are the top 8 in each division.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Interesting to see how Josef Scarboro goes. He was shooting in Australia for (I think) much of 19/20. TBH, not sure if that was planned or he just got stuck here. But shot some very good scores.

·
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Looks like Wukie really wants that 3rd spot!
He does have the most Olympic team round experience of everyone there but Brady.

·
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Mac's doing a great job trying to catch Casey, but she's just falling a little short. Damn impressive week for her though.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
does the US have a team spot or just individual ones

·
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
does the US have a team spot or just individual ones
Right now, just one men's, one womens, and the mixed team from what I understand. Last chance to qualify a full 3 member team for either gender is approaching and - again from what I understand - they will need to win the event. But don't quote me on all that.

·
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Wish I knew if the trials were over. I have no way to tell. I thought today was the final day but maybe they shoot more tomorrow?

Anyone know?

I would have hoped the main USArchery webpage would have been updated. They literally have one job.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wish I knew if the trials were over. I have no way to tell. I thought today was the final day but maybe they shoot more tomorrow?

Anyone know?

I would have hoped the main USArchery webpage would have been updated. They literally have one job.

·
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Registered
670 Posts
We only selected two men and two women in 76 and 80, but it appears that no country sent more than 2+2 in those years. That was before the team event. However in 72 we sent three of each so I'm not sure what changed in 76 and 80. Perhaps Rick can tell us.

Olympians - USA Archery
Only two archers per gender per country were allowed to compete during this period. We were on the bubble of staying in the Olympics since there were about 75 countries who participated in archery compared to approximately 200+ countries in sports like soccer, etc. Since there was no team competition in archery (that didn't start until 1988) there was no need to have a "team" - the IOC's reasoning, not archery's....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Only two archers per gender per country were allowed to compete during this period. We were on the bubble of staying in the Olympics since there were about 75 countries who participated in archery compared to approximately 200+ countries in sports like soccer, etc. Since there was no team competition in archery (that didn't start until 1988) there was no need to have a "team" - the IOC's reasoning, not archery's....
I suppose if anyone could give a definitive explanation, it would be you. Thanks.

·
Desert Island Trading Co.
4,808 Posts
So Mackenzie Brown did NOT get an Olympic spot this time?
she is in the top three that would be on the Olympic team if the USA wins 2 more spots. As it stands, the USA only has one spot for men and one spot for women. That means only Brady and Casey have punched their ticket for Tokyo. The other four have to wait and see the results of Paris as to whether or not they also have punched their ticket.

Currently the Tokyo Olympic USA archery team is a mixed team.

Chris

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
she is in the top three that would be on the Olympic team if the USA wins 2 more spots. As it stands, the USA only has one spot for men and one spot for women. That means only Brady and Casey have punched their ticket for Tokyo. The other four have to wait and see the results of Paris as to whether or not they also have punched their ticket.

Currently the Tokyo Olympic USA archery team is a mixed team.

Chris
Unfortunately subscription required to read the article..

·
Desert Island Trading Co.
4,808 Posts
Unfortunately subscription required to read the article..
weird, i can see the entire article and the top part which says to sign in.

Chris

·
Is that a cookie?
4,886 Posts
Also from the WAPO: "The United States is anticipating sending about 600 athletes to the Tokyo Olympics. It could be the country’s largest Olympic contingent since the 1996 Atlanta Games, which included more than 640 American athletes. The first Tokyo-bound American athlete qualified for the Summer Games in July 2019. The group will continue to grow through the end of June, and the full Team USA roster must be finalized by the first week of July."

21 - 40 of 49 Posts