Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Genesis 21:20
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I want to congratulate Jennifer Mucino-Fernandez for earning the 3rd spot on the women's side.

Most will not realize what an accomplishment this is, in more ways than one.

·
Is that a cookie?
4,886 Posts
And a shout-out for Gabby making the World Championships Team: "15-year-old Gabrielle Sasai was the third ranked standout and she will look to make her international debut in Yankton."

·
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
And a shout-out for Gabby making the World Championships Team: "15-year-old Gabrielle Sasai was the third ranked standout and she will look to make her international debut in Yankton."

Yes, that is quite an accomplishment. We have some great young ladies shooting now!

·
Is that a cookie?
4,886 Posts
^
You've probably coached a few yourself. Can you imagine what it must be like to be that talented at 15? I know I can't. Actually I can't imagine it at any age lol.

·
22,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
^
You've probably coached a few yourself. Can you imagine what it must be like to be that talented at 15? I know I can't. Actually I can't imagine it at any age lol.
Indeed, I've been lucky to work with a number of young ladies who were national champs, world and USAT members as teens. It's pretty fun to watch when they put it all together and get the mental game going. Mike W. has had great luck too. He and I always knew there were many young ladies out there who were just ready to break out given the right mentors and coaching. The high performing teen ladies are so easy to work with too. Great communicators, hard workers and respectful. At least, that's what I saw.

'Round here, most all the athletically talented teen boys were lost from archery by the age of 14. Parents, grandparents, friends and just the community as a whole pushed them to play more "popular" sports. It was very rare for me to see a talented teen boy stay with archery beyond the age of 13. If they ever started baseball, it was just a matter of time. I still don't know a single serious teen male archer who was also a serious baseball player.

Reactions: Seattlepop

·
Just Another Archer
559 Posts
I think I saw GT write in another thread that there is still a chance to qualify a full team based on team performance at the World Cup event in France. Can anyone confirm that (yes, I'm being lazy and not Googling it).
This is GT's post:

Then, from the WA qualification plan document:
"NOCs of the three (3) highest ranked (*) teams, per gender, at the FTQT will obtain three (3) quota places. The FTQT will be open to all NOCs that did not qualify a team through the 2019 World Archery Championships and will be held at the end of the qualification period."
(search for "Final World Team Qualification Tournament (FTQT)")

So each US gender team can only get 3 slots (full team), or stay with the current 1 slot that we currently have.

Adding extra complexity is that there might be more slots open than expected, if NOCs decide not to use their slots, and return them to WA to give to someone else. (For instance, North Korea has earned slots, but won't be participating.)

The FQT event is in Paris June18-21. It is separate from the World Cup event in Paris June 21-27.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The FQT event is in Paris June18-21. It is separate from the World Cup event in Paris June 21-27.
This is good to know. I didn’t realise the shootoffs for the continental qualifying and the European championships were different I n Antalya last week. Did my head in trying to reconcile the results. At least I’m forewarned now!

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Indeed, I've been lucky to work with a number of young ladies who were national champs, world and USAT members as teens. It's pretty fun to watch when they put it all together and get the mental game going. Mike W. has had great luck too. He and I always knew there were many young ladies out there who were just ready to break out given the right mentors and coaching. The high performing teen ladies are so easy to work with too. Great communicators, hard workers and respectful. At least, that's what I saw.

'Round here, most all the athletically talented teen boys were lost from archery by the age of 14. Parents, grandparents, friends and just the community as a whole pushed them to play more "popular" sports. It was very rare for me to see a talented teen boy stay with archery beyond the age of 13. If they ever started baseball, it was just a matter of time. I still don't know a single serious teen male archer who was also a serious baseball player.
That's what happened to my most promising 14yr old male archery student

41 - 49 of 49 Posts