Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I was there to see the shooting. So highlights that I found on the record setting performances.

Brady with 1196 to set a new national record that he and Butch Johnson shared. That was an incredible run Butch had with that double 596 he shot. Will this record by Brady last as long if he doesn't top it later on? That's not a lot of points left til perfection. Would love to see him clip that 600 mark.
Mackenzie Brown upped the record set my Katuna to 1156. Mackenzie seems to be improving more and more. Can't wait to see how high Mac can go!
On the compound side, Paige Gore shot a new world record of 596 and a new national record of 1182. Dang, that's smoking.
Cassidy Cox set a new Junior record of 1174. She already is a seasoned vet in junior ranks. She might be a senior record holder one day.

USA archery seems to be improving more as a whole every year. Exciting times.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
554 Posts
I was lucky to watch much of the recurve side of the tournament. As one can see from the results, Brady and Mackenzie were astoundingly good, far ahead of the field. Both won all of their round robin matches, and those produced some of the most fun shooting to watch. Other highlights were some great shooting from some of the Juniors, and many great matches. Jack Williams and Vic Wunderle showed some great shooting. It was particularly fun to watch Vic compete with the younger guys (from a 59 year old perspective, he is still young but aging relative to the field). He was the only one to get to 4 points against Brady and won 4 of his 7 matches. Jack was solid the whole tournament and won 5 of 7 matches. Great trials tournament!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh ya, I think it was 72 arrows andonly 2 nines from Brady in all the head to heads. Lol

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
And a shout out to Crystal Gauvin for making the team!

Yeah that was awesome. 13 months shooting a recurve. tremendous talent and work ethic and a really nice person on top of that. I am really hoping for a full women's team in 2020 that includes Crystal

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that was awesome. 13 months shooting a recurve. tremendous talent and work ethic and a really nice person on top of that. I am really hoping for a full women's team in 2020 that includes Crystal
She definitely works at it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How about Mary Hamm shooting lights out while being a full time mom. Mary still has it!
I’ve watched her shoot for the last 15 years or so and witnessed her comeback in her training. Her mental game is so impressive and she holds her self to such a high standard. She is also a great teacher with a calm and patient demeanor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm relatively new to archery, but when I started I was told that this is one of the few sports that men don't have a physical advantage over women, the Korean women's team being an example. Not to dismiss any of the women's accomplishments -- they are truly amazing, but why is it that here I see men having higher score esp. indoors? Is it that they're shooting a few pounds heavier? Or there are more men competing and so the talent pool is greater?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm relatively new to archery, but when I started I was told that this is one of the few sports that men don't have a physical advantage over women, the Korean women's team being an example. Not to dismiss any of the women's accomplishments -- they are truly amazing, but why is it that here I see men having higher score esp. indoors? Is it that they're shooting a few pounds heavier? Or there are more men competing and so the talent pool is greater?
nvm I just read that in archery men still outnumber women ~4 to 1, so the answer is probably both.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone think that the torch is being passed to new younger archers? Exciting to see the sport getting passed down and who should we watch as our next champions?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts