Archery Talk Forum banner

USA Made Risers and Limbs

1675 Views 29 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  MerlinApexDylan
Hello,

I see Aim, Samick, W&W etc. make some really nice looking risers and limbs. Are there any target grade risers and limbs that are actually made in the USA? If there are, are they affordable or at the high end of the spectrum?

Thanks!!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Archery Coach
23,395 Posts
US made WORLD CLASS recurve risers

1) Hoyt MATRIX (about 400 dollars)
2) HOYT AEROTECH (about 450)
(I consider the Gold Medalist World Class too-175 dollars-still holds the top US Fita of all time-both men and women)

3) PSE INTREPID (Less than 400)
4) PSE X FACTOR (about 425)

5) MATHEWS-SKY CONQUEST (can't recall price)

6) MARTIN AURORA (about 450)

I have personally shot every one of the above riser (between my wife and I we have owned all of them) and I prefer each and every one of them to the korean risers I have owned or shot including the exfeel, the Winact and the Samick Ultra

WORLD CLASS LIMBS MADE IN THE USA

Hoyt G3-best limbs in the world IMHO
Hoyt M1-just got a set
Hoyt Vectors-world class smooth and durable
Hoyt CRX-wood/carbon-my wife just got a set

MARTIN AURORA-no vibration whatsoever

PSE limbs are korean

I have only seen two pairs of Mathews-sky limbs and can't judge them yet. The real Sky limbs were the best wood carbon limbs ever made

· Registered
190 Posts
well as has been said before, PSE, Hoyt and Martin all make great stuff in the USA. I'm just wondering why you want american made so badly? Its all well and good if that's what you work best with but if a Samick for example matches your style best why not get it. Try them all and forget about where its made. Work with what shoots best for you.

Good Luck
Jordan

· Registered
1,951 Posts
j_man1100 said:
well as has been said before, PSE, Hoyt and Martin all make great stuff in the USA. I'm just wondering why you want american made so badly? Its all well and good if that's what you work best with but if a Samick for example matches your style best why not get it. Try them all and forget about where its made. Work with what shoots best for you.

Good Luck
Jordan
Because if we buy an American product the money spent will recirculate in the American economy. (in theory) In reality its much more complex, but I won't go into that.

· Registered
190 Posts
well another person wrote a very good post on here before. It was much better wrote than my breif version here. You may be keeping that job at the manufacturer but the guys in shipping will lose their jobs if everything is "american made". Trade is nessecary. Maybe this american approach will give an increased sence of patiotism but is it worth amassing another couple trillion in national debt?

anyway, just some food for thought.

Jordan

· Registered
3,815 Posts
j_man1100 said:
well as has been said before, PSE, Hoyt and Martin all make great stuff in the USA. I'm just wondering why you want american made so badly?
To me the question seemed odd to begin with, like it wasn't a question so much as meant to cause a specific response. Not sure what.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the detailed responses!! I'll start researching those products.

My question wasn't meant to create any heated debates just what products are made in the USA. I try to buy USA made products. I even wear a hat with an American flag on it when I go to the range. I hope people don't think there's something wrong with that. I'm disappointed to see someone took offense to my question.

I do agree that if we in the USA don't make a great product we should buy from someone that does. It looks like from the responses we got plenty of great stuff made here.

I looked at all the websites and the companies don't put where they're made. When I write to them they don't write back. I wrote to AIM to get dimensions on one of their cases and they never to this day wrote me back. If they put the dimensions of all their cases on their website I wouldn't need to ask. I don't have a store to go to so I can actually pick one up and look at it. Sometimes it's worth the extra money to be able to do that.

· Archery Coach
23,395 Posts
engtee said:
One other reason to buy American-made equipment (I use Matrix/G3)-if you live here, it is a whole lot easier and faster to get parts and repairs, if needed. Just try and get a limb spring or button from Korea!

an excellent point-its one of the main reasons why I use a sure-loc rather than the equally good shibuya-Steve's company is an hour drive from my shop.

ON THE OTHER HAND-at one time, it was RUMOURED that the stuff our major manufacturers sent overseas got better quality control than the stuff sold in the states because it was cheaper to replace domestic bad stuff than say a recurve riser that was crooked being used by some guy in Tapei. I remember a rep for a major korean bow maker telling me that his company made sure only the best examples of their stuff came to the USA ;)

· Archery Coach
23,395 Posts
I never could tell the difference-I shoot a fairly heavy bow with a long bar, lots of weight and hold 42-49 pounds depending (probably won't go back to anything over 45 after over training this summer and still suffering :eek: :( :mad: ).

One of my main reasons was that when cavalier first came out with its sight extension mounted clicker (which I prefer-especially for long indoor arrows)-it would not fit on the shibuya extension (now cavalier offers different size shims)-the carbon version I first bought had that "backward" taper as well

I sell mostly shibuya to my JOAD kids since its cheaper than the cheap sureloc-lighter (important for cubs and cadets) ad very durable.

· Registered
190 Posts
ok, didn't mean anything by my last post here. all I was saying is in a sport as individual as archery, it's really important to try everything you can. thats all.

I do agree 100% with Engtee. I shoot samick and i needed a replacement and to get the company to respond wasn't much of a problem but the language barrier was. And I would recomend staying away from AIM for anything. Find somebody else.

Sorry if i offended anyone
Jordan

· Registered
5,880 Posts
The PSE X factor deserves a look. And PSE has a life time warranty on riser and limbs. The bow itself is vibrationless and very smooth. I tried out my girlfriends.

Dylan

· Genesis 21:20
25,291 Posts
I tried out my girlfriends.
Tried out your girlfriend's what?...... :p

Just kidding of course. That's kinda how I got started (no, not my girlfriend's X-factor). I shot Mark William's X-factor way back in October of '03 and new right then and there that eventually I would be shooting them.

Unfortunately for me, I had just purchased two Axis risers (the second one was dang hard to find!) and I wasn't about to change at that point. I can't complain about the results I got with the Axis risers, but those X-factors are just so much more enjoyable to shoot!

And they too are made right here in the good 'ol USA :D

John.

· Archery Coach
23,395 Posts
made by hoyt in various configurations for several decades. versions of it have won several olympic gold medals including Williams, Pace, and Barrs. The highest US men's fita and lady's fita (1352 and 1360 something) shot by RIck McKinney and Denise Parker were done with GM risers as I recall

· Genesis 21:20
25,291 Posts
Hey Jim,

Maybe we should all go back to shooting GM risers? :D

John.

· Archery Coach
23,395 Posts
maybe so-I would trade the several grand I have in recurve risers to shoot a star 1352 :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.