Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they are popular in South Texas but does anyone here use tripod stands for hunting CRP type fields or for any other setups?
Thanks
Insatiable

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got To

I hunt in west Texas and the only way to hunt elevated out there is from a tripod. The majority of oaks are only 20-30 ft tall and the branches are to crooked and thin to put up a climbing or clamp on stand. The cedars only grow to 10-12 ft. Some guys will build a seat if the tree is stout enough but I usually shove a 12ft tripod into the canopy and use a pole saw to cut enough branches to clear out an opening to shoot through. Depending on the situation I may tie the tripod off to the tree or harness myself to the tree if I need to in order to be safe. Had a young 10 point walk right underneath me, between the tripod legs 2 years ago and last year a doe, being chased by a buck, clipped the ladder as she went by.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We use a couple of tripods over our food plots. More comfortable and safer than hang-ons or ladder stands. Great for kids, plenty of room for all your stuff, and you can get away a lot more movement.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts