Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this been considered for the classifieds, some type of imposed grading criteria or scaling factor with regard to bow condition? Shouldn't be too hard to come up with an accurate scaling criteria to describe a bow's condition. A simple scaling factor 1-100 describing a bows condition broken down by appearance, alterations, scratches, dings, dents, rub marks, configuration, etc.

A friend of mine recently swapped bows. He was told the bow he was swapping for was in very good condition, other than "normal wear and tear". The bow he traded was in new condition. Well, he gets the bow in and first thing he notices is there is no grip. Nothing in the correspondence about the bow not coming with a grip. Next thing he notices is the grip area is covered with tape. When he peels the tape off, finds out that someone had either taken a file or emery cloth to the riser and rounded the edges off. We're talking shaving metal, altering the riser. This was totally unsat. We PMd the person in question and the trade was rescinded. I will say that the limbs, and limb pockets, were in good shape.

Bottom line, this should have been known up front. Whether the person knew about the condition of the riser is up for speculation. Had there been a imposed scaling factor, weighting criteria, this condition would have been noted. This isn't saying someone couldn't falsify data, but that person would more than likely not be doing business long. In this case, no feedback was given, which I suspect is more of the case for neutral or suspect transactions.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The scale will still be interperated differently by trader A than trader B.
If the grading/scaling criteria is done correctly, there would be minimal room for interpretation. There's no way to catch everything, but it is very possible to account for at least 90% of the known items of interest. If the item was misrepresented to the extent there was significant disagreement, then it would be more of an integrity issue, not a matter of subjectivity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts