Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Money is a bit tight right now but it’s time for an upgrade. I’ve been shooting a 2007 but it’s starting to show it’s age. What would be you suggestion for a 2012 to 2015 year Hoyt? Your likes and dislikes about what you have shot would be appreciated. Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
If it's a target rig I would say a ProComp or Podium. Can't speak for hunting bows but a 37" target rig could serve as a multi purpose bow.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm never letting go of my Nitrum 34, its been durable, I shoot it well, it carries fine in the west and you can buy a good used one for $375.00-400.00 on here. I haven't upgraded my hunting rigs since 2015 and won't till the median prices reach $600.00-700.00. If you decide to shoot something other than a Hoyt, the Chill series are a good affordable option. Trouble with the Hoyts is sizing the cams for draw length range. If your in the 28-29 range its a bit of a gamble unless you've drawn and shot it before you buy. Good luck.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I second the Hoyt Nitrum 34...great shooter... Nice stable platform

I still have and shoot mine daily.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Pretty much nailed it - Nitrum or CST for Hunting, 37" Pro Elite or Podium for Target. All very good, solid bows.

·
Gold Supporting Archer
10,002 Posts
I'm with the majority here. Anything with a Z5 cam, which the Nitrum 34 has (I own 2) or the Carbon Spyder Turbo from 2014 which was the first year with the Z5 cam (Turbo then was based on brace height, not cam).

For target ? I'm lost,but the Prevail or Podium were the sheeeeeet and i'd grab one is I were to shoot target. 3D,I think a longer axle hunting bow would work, don't think you really need a shoot thru riser so bad.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
I'm with the majority here. Anything with a Z5 cam, which the Nitrum 34 has (I own 2) or the Carbon Spyder Turbo from 2014 which was the first year with the Z5 cam (Turbo then was based on brace height, not cam).

For target ? I'm lost,but the Prevail or Podium were the sheeeeeet and i'd grab one is I were to shoot target. 3D,I think a longer axle hunting bow would work, don't think you really need a shoot thru riser so bad.
Good point on 3D, I shot a ProForce for 3D for a bit, but it really doesn't require a shoot-thru and in fact can sometimes be a hassle. Am thinking of picking up a Double XL to use instead.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just curious, why 2012-2015 range? I got my '19 Helix in the Classifieds for $600 barely 150 shots through it. They went for over $1000 retail new.. Plus the new ZT series cam system is great.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Personally, I think the Powermax is a great bow. 85% of the features of a flagship bow at 40% the cost.

I started there. Took many deer with it. Bumped up to a Defiant Turbo last year and then an RX-3 this year.

Rx-3 was $1599 new (though I bought mine used)
Powermax was $500 new.

I’d take either into the woods.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No reason specifically Bassattackr, I just figure that age range would be more in line with what I could afford. If I could get a newer bow for a decent price I would definitely jump on it

·
Registered
65 Posts
I shot a 2012 Hoyt Carbon Element with the RKT cam for seven years. Picked it up new as a holdover for $850. I loved the way that bow felt and killed a lot of critters with it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts