Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They allow "archery bows" but not crossbows. Virginia passed xbow use last year and it is a legal weapon in all seasons as well as all special archery seasons. No excuse for this but ignorance and, well we all know the reason.

http://www.fws.gov/backbay/Hunt Regulations.htm

Scroll down the page for the details.
Possession of loaded firearms or nocked arrows in or on a vehicle/boat or shooting from a vehicle/boat is prohibited. All weapons must be unloaded with actions open: while in transport, while on roads, when waiting for pick-up, and within the boundaries of the safety zones. Possession of weapons other than shot gun and archery bows are prohibited (crossbows are prohibited).

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
BigBirdVA said:
They allow "archery bows" but not crossbows. Virginia passed xbow use last year and it is a legal weapon in all seasons as well as all special archery seasons. No excuse for this but ignorance and, well we all know the reason.

http://www.fws.gov/backbay/Hunt Regulations.htm

Scroll down the page for the details.
HHHMMMMMM interesting. Maybe they have the inside scoop.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
At the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge here in Ohio, those drawn for the archery or gun controlled hunts are permitted to use a crossbow. Yeah, sounds like someone just needs to get off their hind ends and update the regulations.

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marvin said:
HHHMMMMMM interesting. Maybe they have the inside scoop.
They have a scoop all right. They had it the year someone there let their friends get "picked" and they canceled the hunt. They had another scoop when a refuge officer shot a feral hog outside of their seasonal hunt. He was showing some other visiting officials around and shot it with his 45 auto. Then served it for dinner. A history of doing what they want to there.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
2 bad apples ruin the barrel?

BigBirdVA said:
They have a scoop all right. They had it the year someone there let their friends get "picked" and they canceled the hunt. They had another scoop when a refuge officer shot a feral hog outside of their seasonal hunt. He was showing some other visiting officials around and shot it with his 45 auto. Then served it for dinner. A history of doing what they want to there.
wow. Peace be with Allah BBVA. stay away from sharp objects, they may have made a mistake or it hasn't been brought up to their attention. Might wanna try the diplomatic route first before you blast them publically. Its the feds for crying out loud

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marvin said:
wow. Peace be with Allah BBVA. stay away from sharp objects, they may have made a mistake or it hasn't been brought up to their attention. Might wanna try the diplomatic route first before you blast them publically. Its the feds for crying out loud
I've followed them for many years since I live only a few miles from there. They have a history of problems with the hunt. I did call and what they did this year was combine both hunts together, a state run park (False Cape) with a federal run refuge (Back Bay). You can only access one place by passing through the other first. To me it looks like they adopted some rules from each depending on who knows what criteria. I do not see how a guy wandering around in the brush with buckshot is any more dangerous that a guy with an xbow. Much of this area is a very thick swamp area without trees to hunt from. If you've never hunted one of these places it's hard to describe. Salt marsh habitat, sand dunes and swamp. Snakes are thick and skeeters are even thicker. In this county archery and gun both run at the same time. How that can be is a mystery. While deer dogs are not permitted on this hunt they are in the rest of the county during the so called archery season. They are going to look at xbows for next years hunt - I was told. Maybe like they did when they had an archery hunt there a few years ago - which came after the gun hunt. They stopped it because they didn't take much game. Big surprise there. No argument here that their hat is on a little too tight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts