Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question my have been asked a million times,but when using a press,should the limb bolts be backed out several turns to relieve tension on the bow.Does this apply to all bows or just the parallel style.How many turns are recommended on the limb bolts

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I have never backed down my bows when i put them in the press. never had a problem. baking them down and then trying to get everything back to where it was for a simple press thing as installing a peep or taking a few twists out of a string would be idiotic IMO.

the only time i ever turn the limbs down is when i put on a new set of strings and cables. if i am doing this i have to retune the whole thing anyways.

if someone told you to turn down the limbs just to press it to make a mod, i think they need to go back to tune school.

·
177 5/8"
2,105 Posts
ursonvs said:
if someone told you to turn down the limbs just to press it to make a mod, i think they need to go back to tune school.
What difference does your reason for pressing the bow make in how it effects the bow when in it's the press?!?!? :rolleyes: Mathews bows come from the factory with a warning lable stuck right to the string stating that you MUST back out the bolts 7 turns prior to pressing. They don't insist upon this instruction for no reason. I've heard of people bending risers because of too much tension in a bow press. DON'T IGNORE THE FACTORY WARNINGS!

But hey that's just me. Do what you want. It's your gear.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
If they tell me to back off the limb bolts, I'll take them at their word and back off the limb bolts. With bows running over $600. a copy I can't afford to be that cavalier about a warning. There are lots of bows that don't carry that warning and I press them all the time without backing out the limb bolts. I probably wouldn't buy a bow that required that sort of manipulation prior to pressing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Alot of companies recomend this to protect the warranty on the bow. Alot of the sporting goods stores (for lack of a better term) were bending risers by pressing them improperly. Reducing the draw weight also reduces the chance of bending a riser.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
most of the time a bent riser comes from improper pressing on the riser instead of just pressing the limbs behind the limb pockets. if mathews come from the factory with a label like this then so be it, press a mathews back down if you don't have a press to accomodate parrallel limb bows. i've pressed bowtechs day in and day out with no problems but i have a press that accomodates parrallel limbed bows. (should say had one, out of the archery biz).

baggin, need to lighten up on the coffee there bud. no need in gettin' crappy with me. every place i have been to and every place that i have worked in being my old shop or helpin' out in friends shops have never turned down limbs. never had any problems.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
ursonvs said:
most of the time a bent riser comes from improper pressing on the riser instead of just pressing the limbs behind the limb pockets. if mathews come from the factory with a label like this then so be it, press a mathews back down if you don't have a press to accomodate parrallel limb bows. i've pressed bowtechs day in and day out with no problems but i have a press that accomodates parrallel limbed bows. (should say had one, out of the archery biz).

baggin, need to lighten up on the coffee there bud. no need in gettin' crappy with me. every place i have been to and every place that i have worked in being my old shop or helpin' out in friends shops have never turned down limbs. never had any problems.
Martin owners manual says back off the limb bolts 5 turns before putting bows in a press. Sounds like pretty good advice to me. ;) Matthews has attributed numerous problems with their bows because their bows being pressed without backing out the limb bolts. I'd rather be safe than sorry. :D :D

·
177 5/8"
2,105 Posts
ursonvs, I think you've misinterpretted the tone of my first post. I'm pretty easy going. No offense intended. But either way, I wouldn't recommend recommending that people ignore manufacturer's warnings, whether they seem justified or not. It'll save some risers along the way. :wink:

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
ursonvs said:
makes sense if they say it, do it stehawk.

dang at least you are calm about it. some people in here have shorter fuses than i do,lol.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Besides, I used to never back off the bow weight :mg: however, I've now started backing off on all the bows I put in my press. Like I said, its better to be safe than sorry. :wink:

·
Registered
45 Posts
As long as you press a parallel limb bow in the limb pockets and your press is designed to press parallel limb bows, backing out the limb bolts is unnecessary. Pressing the bow (in the correct type of press) merely simulates drawing the bow, no different than what it is designed for.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
ubetcha said:
I know this question my have been asked a million times,but when using a press,should the limb bolts be backed out several turns to relieve tension on the bow.Does this apply to all bows or just the parallel style.How many turns are recommended on the limb bolts

According to the manufacturers, yes. But, I will never touch mine unless I want to change poundage or make a tiller adjustment. It is a liability disclaimer if they want to use it. I have basically never seen anyone turn down their limb bolts to press the bow.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Deezlin said:
According to the manufacturers, yes. But, I will never touch mine unless I want to change poundage or make a tiller adjustment. It is a liability disclaimer if they want to use it. I have basically never seen anyone turn down their limb bolts to press the bow.
Yep, I've never had one bow screw up yet whether I backed off the limbs or not. Mathews however claims thats whats causing their problems with limb breakage ;) :confused . Oopps, I forgot I shouldn't have said that. I'll get attacked by some Mathews groupies. :confused: :confused: :D I really don't see how it could be any differnt that shooting a bow if its pressed with a two point press. :cool: Bottom line-- I back off all my customers bows because if I do crack a limb I don't want to be liable for it. :wink: :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.