Archery Talk Forum banner

Using a climber like a lock on?

3906 Views 15 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  archer2
I have used climbers for years. Finally have a spot I can pop in for quick hunts after work. I have been looking at lock
ons,and honestly do not think any of them will be big enough or comfortable enough. Anybody use a old
climber, leave it up the tree, and access it using climbing sticks? If so, any advice or heads up for doing this?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,321 Posts
I've done it a few times. It works very well.
I wouldn't do it on land that I was concerned about stand thieves being around though.

Climbers are expensive, and a cinch to get off a tree and pack out in a hurry.

· Premium Member
10,229 Posts
You need to cinch it down so it doesn't move when you get on and off. I have done it with my Summit Viper but there are plenty of hang ons that work better and some have plenty of room. I bought an XOP Maximus, a very large hang on, I also have an Air Raid that is a little smaller but works well. The big atvantage to the XOP hang ons (LW also) is is that you can level the stand and seat for any angle and they are anchored to the tree solid.

· Registered
343 Posts
So do you guys using a ratchet around the teeth part of the stand, and let the cable do it's part?
I hooked a ratchet on the front of the climber base and then angled it down and around the tree. Keeps the weight pulling the climber down, same as your body weight holds the climber in place. Worked great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,040 Posts
I do it when I need to with my viper or Titan . I just use the third hand stabilizer straps like I do when using it as a climber . When you step on the bottom it is locked in, no need for another strap. Works great

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

· Bone
2,689 Posts
I have some old Loggy Bayou's that I use as hang-ons and they work great. When I find them on C-list for 30 to 50 bucks I buy them and use a ratchet strap on the seat. I have even used screw in steps on the way up while using the Loggy as a climber and you can go right over the steps and after the hunt just climb down and leave the stand.

· Back down to ground level
18,556 Posts
I had an old one that I did that with, needed both hands free to get the back bar attached, so wear a linemans belt. And use rachet straps to secure both sections to the tree. I also set up my hang on with sticks close by for my son to sit in. Came back the next morning to hunt, and the hang on/sticks were gone, camera - gone, steps to the climber - gone. They couldn't get the climber since they would have needed both hands free.

· Registered
9,545 Posts
Thirdhand stabilizer straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems like that would make it hard to get into the stand. I was thinking the best way would be to use a ratchet near where the teeth of the lower section is, which would hold the stand in place. Leave the top section free and spun around a little bit so you could just step onto the platform, then situate the top section once you're standing on the platform.

· Pay It Forward
27,182 Posts
I have a few API climbers, two Loggy Bayou climbers and a Summit all locked in place. Best to do it with two people....climb with your climber to your desired location. Buddy puts up the ladder while you are in the stand securing it in place with ratchet straps. NEVER (even with a stand like the Loggy) rely solely on the original stand equipment when using a climber in this way. Most climbers are designed to perform with a fulcrum concept and require weight out away from the tree. The minute you step off of the platform or too close to the tree, you compromise the abilityof the stand to stay secured. Simply add a ratchet strap around the top and bottom of the stand and you're good to go. You can do it by yourself, but it is a little trickier as the securing a climber to the tree while you're 20' up on a set of sticks is a bit of a chore, a linemans belt is almost a necessity in these cases.

I can tell you this the best purchase folks can make is a comfortable climber and cheap pair of sticks...you have the best of both worlds. I can't tell you how many times I hear folks complain, "there isn't a tree anywhere around I can use my climber", bologna....if it isn't straight use your sticks and hang your climber...best of both worlds IMHO. The cost of some of the more comfortable lock ons (Millenium) are almost the same as a climber, however, you are then forced to buy steps. With a climber that isn't the case...you just break out the steps when the habitat dictates. I've done this for years with relatively ZERO issues.

Hope I gave you something to think about.

Joe

· Pay It Forward
27,182 Posts
Seems like that would make it hard to get into the stand. I was thinking the best way would be to use a ratchet near where the teeth of the lower section is, which would hold the stand in place. Leave the top section free and spun around a little bit so you could just step onto the platform, then situate the top section once you're standing on the platform.
Good call Jeff - if you are using the climber as a loc-on , I remove the THSS. I will say this, I ALWAYS use the straps when using the stand as a climber, the difference with vs. without is tremendous. However, if I am positioning a climber as a loc-on I have found the straps to be almost a tripping hazard stepping off of the ladder and onto the stand. I even loosened them a few times with the idea of cinching them up tight once I got in. Realized two ratchet straps on the stand itself did the job just as well with less hassle.

Joe

· Registered
2,130 Posts
I have used climbers for years. Finally have a spot I can pop in for quick hunts after work. I have been looking at lock
ons,and honestly do not think any of them will be big enough or comfortable enough. Anybody use a old
climber, leave it up the tree, and access it using climbing sticks? If so, any advice or heads up for doing this?
I have been using climbers as hang ons for many years. I currently have 4 climber sets (3 API and 1 Summitt) in the woods with sticks going up to them.
It gives you all the comfort of a climber and the ease of a hang on.

I put rachet straps on them in addition to the chains/cables that typically support a climber. I also use the 3rd hand stabilizing straps on them and they are rock solid.

I buy used climbers and usually for the same price as a decent hang on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.