Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After shooting 15 or so shots with my 50# Jag t/d... my fingers were dead.
I want to use my release for my compound now, should I get a d-loop put on or just hitch it to the string below the arrow? I pulled it back a few times with it just on the string, worked fine. Just wasn't sure if it would mess with arrow flight.

·
Registered
20,286 Posts
Bax -

You certainly can, but a better question would be why are your fingers "dead" after 15 shots? A little soreness in the beginning is normal, "dead" isn't.

Are you using a tab or glove?

Do you know how to grip the string?

Arrow flight or rather tuning will be pretty different for a release vs. fingers, but the Jag can be set up for either. If you do go for a release the loop is up to you, but tune it as you would your compound, not as a stickbow.

BTW - look up or do a search on the word "overbowed"

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bax -

You certainly can, but a better question would be why are your fingers "dead" after 15 shots? A little soreness in the beginning is normal, "dead" isn't.

Are you using a tab or glove?

Do you know how to grip the string?

Arrow flight or rather tuning will be pretty different for a release vs. fingers, but the Jag can be set up for either. If you do go for a release the loop is up to you, but tune it as you would your compound, not as a stickbow.

BTW - look up or do a search on the word "overbowed"

Viper1 out.

Well, by dead I meant sore... haha
Its just not worth it for me to shoot fingers if its gonna be like that until they get callus's on them.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ha, well it really wont take long, and although plenty do use a release. I have a complex with the change in presure between a 1/2" realease on a string and a 2& 1/2" wide finger hold which puts the string at different angle than using the other method.

Well I'm prolly just weird but still,,,,

·
Registered
38,293 Posts
Well, by dead I meant sore... haha
Its just not worth it for me to shoot fingers if its gonna be like that until they get callus's on them.
I don't think you want calluses on your release fingera. What you need is a thicker tab. Vittorio Frangilli (a world class Olympic coach) recommends 1 mm of thickness for every 10 pounds of draw weight. His son, a European Champion and Olympic archer, shoots a five layer, 5.5 mm thick tab for his 53# bow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tabs are easy to make. Grab some scrap leather from Hobby Lobby and trace out the shape you want in a piece. Trace THAT form onto another piece, so you have two identical pieces that look like a finger tab. Glue them together with some wood adhesive, cut a hole for your middle finger and you're good to go.

Don't shoot bare fingers, tough guy. What you trying to prove? You should be having fun and getting your form together.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't shoot bare fingers, tough guy. What you trying to prove? You should be having fun and getting your form together.
I did have a tab, shoulda mentioned that. a 3 finger "glove" type thing, with what I think was moleskin or something...

Doesn't matter now tho, top limb snapped this morning.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I did have a tab, shoulda mentioned that. a 3 finger "glove" type thing, with what I think was moleskin or something...

Doesn't matter now tho, top limb snapped this morning.
Sorry to hear that.
I hear the Samick "Sage" limbs fit the Jag riser.
I belive their a better quality limb,and can be bought from Lancaster archery supply.
Personaly I wouldn't even bother with getting limbs off Martin to replace the things their putting on the Jag,,,under warranty or not,,,it's not worth your health to have those things under tension right in front of your face.

All the best.

PS,Any credit for the "Sage limbs" idea,has to go to SocalArcher

1 - 12 of 12 Posts