Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you shoot a bow that is sub 300 fps (say about 260 to 270 fps) and most of your shots are 35 yards to 40 yards max would you go with a single pin slider or a fixed pin sight?

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Why would it make a difference? The shot distance is the same no matter what sight you have.
Are you questioning if you would have to move the pin on a slider?

I use a HHA slider no matter what the distance is.I have also had this sight on a bow with the speeds you metioned,and now it's on a faster bow.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I used to shoot a slider, but after forgeting to adjust it a few times I decided it wasnt for me and went back to fixed pins.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would it make a difference? The shot distance is the same no matter what sight you have.
Are you questioning if you would have to move the pin on a slider?
I guess I am asking what sight would you prefer or do you think one style sight would be better than the other and why? The reason I give some info on the bow speed is to give some criteria to think about on the longer shots since the shot would not be as flat as say a 300 + fps bow.

I could see the argument for one pin so that you don't have other pins to think about or be in the sight picture.

I could also see the argument for multiple pins at those speeds due to arrow drop and have a better judge, or lack of needed to judge, pin placement. In other words, not have to place your pin high or low since you have one pin and with multiple pins you can select the closest pin and hold on target.

Just curious of others opinions/ideas/comments on the subject.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I like a single pin. Bottomed out im good 0-25yds. Most of my shots are gonna be around that anyway. This year i did have two deer come in feeding.

I ranged them at 36yds and adjusted my sight waiting for an opening. One started towards me in a straight path so i slid back to the bottom and end up shooting him at 25yds. Once you get use to it it takes a second to adjust.

If he is at 30 you can learn the sight and compensate without adjusting. If they are moving out kinda fast im not gonna shoot anyway.

It's not like your having to adjust everytime he moves in a hurry. Alot of folks dont shoot past 30 anyways. In that case you wont have to adjust if you learn the sight.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Slider....set it around 22-25 yds and you will be good (for hunting) from about 5 feet to near 40 yds. Google "the killing arc by larry wise".

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I just don't find a single pin a problem.If I am hunting in heavy cover,I'll set it at 20 yards and leave it.If I am hunting in a more open area,I will put it on 30 yards.I have used a single pin for at least four years now and never had a problem with moving the sight for the shot.
I choose to shoot a single pin because my old eyes could not seperate the multi pins any more.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
FIXED PINS for me.

I prefer the fixed pin. I use 3 20,30,40. I had a slider and could not adjust it a couple times getting surprised by a buck. I do not want to have to hold 3 feet high on an animal not an ehtical shot IMO. Too many times a buck shows up out of nowhere, any extra motion may blow the shot opportunity.

With that being said, each his/her own. Just go with what you are CONFIDENT in.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I went to a slider for the clarity through the sight. On my last bow, I could set it for 25 and shoot to 35 yards with it. Tried switching to a 5 pin sight; it just messed me up.

If your talking a single fixed pin v. slider, the main difference is the ability to shoot confidently out longer yardages. I have shot out to 80 with mine.

My $.02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts