Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up an AAE Frekshow blade rest. I have always used arrow wraps when building my arrows and was wondering if they might affect the arrow flight since it would introduce a little bump once the end of the arrow travels over the blade. Should I remove my arrow wraps?

Any information or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Setup in question:
Rest: AAE Freakshow with a .010 blade
Arrow: 29" Easton ProComp shafts with 120g fieldtip, 4" Bohning wrap and Blazer vanes
Bow: Bowtech Realm w/ 55lb draw weight

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I am setting up an AAE Frekshow blade rest. I have always used arrow wraps when building my arrows and was wondering if they might affect the arrow flight since it would introduce a little bump once the end of the arrow travels over the blade. Should I remove my arrow wraps?

Setup in question:
Arrow: 29" Easton ProComp shafts with 120g fieldtip, 4" Bohning wrap and Blazer vanes
i use a Trophy Taker Spring Steel rest on my target bow,....when you're using a blade rest like a spring steel rest. you should set your nock point just a tad higher than you would with a drop away for better fletching clearance. that higher setting will have the arrow lifting off the rest as the fletch goes past the rest, so wraps don't bother anything. i get about a quarter inch straight up tear when paper tuning with the paper just a few feet away from the bow. for my liking, that indicates to me, that the back end of the arrow is lifting just enough to have good clearance at the fletching when it passes the rest blade, without the kick being big enough to upset flight and grouping. the idea, is to have a high enough FOC that the small kick, doesn't change the arrows path. so not only should you set the rest and nocking point up for the springsteel tongue, you should also build your arrows with a high enough FOC to get decently consistent flight with that small upkick. it has to be set up a bit different than you would with a drop away.....so, set it up with just a sixteenth inch or so, of high nock point and you should be good.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If it shoots true it shoots true. Why induce a tear if you dont have too? Do your groups suffer if you nock to a flat shot? I know some guys like to have a consistent tear but it just never made sense to me to induce more error than i already do. I don’t buy the fletch clearance thing if you can tune a good hole, unless of course due to it you can’t.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you should also build your arrows with a high enough FOC to get decently consistent flight with that small upkick
Why induce a tear if you dont have too?
I have about an 11% FOC which I feel has been pretty consistent when I was using a drop rest. I think I understand the concept of placing the rest a little higher than a drop away rest and getting a little uplift on the arrow. But it also sounds like I just need to try it for myself, setting it up in different ways to see what works best for me (it seems like that is the answer for everything in archery :).

I think the original question about wraps impacting arrow flight with blade rests has been answered: No, so long as your rest is setup correctly for your arrows and bow.

Thank you all for the help, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
22,050 Posts
Wraps on my X10s & have never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I have about an 11% FOC which I feel has been pretty consistent when I was using a drop rest. I think I understand the concept of placing the rest a little higher than a drop away rest and getting a little uplift on the arrow. But it also sounds like I just need to try it for myself, setting it up in different ways to see what works best for me (it seems like that is the answer for everything in archery :).

I think the original question about wraps impacting arrow flight with blade rests has been answered: No, so long as your rest is setup correctly for your arrows and bow.

Thank you all for the help, I appreciate it!
you're not setting the rest up higher, you're setting the nocking point on your string up just a bit higher than 90 degrees, deliberately giving the arrow just a tiny up kick to get the fletch up off the rest for clearance.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
If it shoots true it shoots true. Why induce a tear if you dont have too? Do your groups suffer if you nock to a flat shot? I know some guys like to have a consistent tear but it just never made sense to me to induce more error than i already do. I don’t buy the fletch clearance thing if you can tune a good hole, unless of course due to it you can’t.
do you shoot a spring steel rest ?......with vanes ?.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Setup in question:
What is an advantage of an arrow wrap?

·
Registered
22,050 Posts
Protects the carbon shaft from being shaved when removing's vanes & makes the arrow easier to see & of course for looks.

Reactions: bigrig23

·
The Impartial Archer
23,774 Posts
Like you.....it entered my mind because I shoot a blade style rest to hunt with. I always want my fixed heads and field tips to have the same POI at my max hunting distance.

That's just how I tune as a hunter. With wrapped arrows I was able to do that just like when they aren't wrapped......I could see no difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.