Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been doing some research on the benny's of using a wrap and have decided to give it a test and determine if its really easier to use a wrap for fletching.

I have read that when it's time to re-fletch, you can use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the wrap up and the thing will peel off :mg:

Here is my question: If I'm using 4 inch feathers/vanes, should I use 7 inch wraps?

-Jared

· Registered
4,736 Posts
I think 7" would be good for 4" vanes. I use 6" for 3" vanes and theres about an inch in front and the back of the vanes.

· Registered
4,736 Posts
I get my wraps on ebay. Under $3 a dozen, light weight material.
I use a Carbon EZ Fletch right helical.
3" Fusion Vanes
Blue Cap Gorilla Glue Control gel.
Thats it! I get my wraps in 6", but cut them down to 5.75" just because some of them werent cut perfectly strait. Probably a result of buying cheap wraps, but its the same material Bohning uses thats thin and light. Heres a link to the wraps

http://stores.ebay.com/Hunt-N-Stuff-Store/Archery-/_i.html?_fsub=1691394014&_sid=101554784&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get my wraps on ebay. Under $3 a dozen, light weight material.
I use a Carbon EZ Fletch right helical.
3" Fusion Vanes
Blue Cap Gorilla Glue Control gel.
Thats it! I get my wraps in 6", but cut them down to 5.75" just because some of them werent cut perfectly strait. Probably a result of buying cheap wraps, but its the same material Bohning uses thats thin and light. Heres a link to the wraps

http://stores.ebay.com/Hunt-N-Stuff-Store/Archery-/_i.html?_fsub=1691394014&_sid=101554784&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
How easy is it to remove the wraps? What is your method of removing the wrap?

· Registered
4,736 Posts
How easy is it to remove the wraps? What is your method of removing the wrap?
To be honest, I havent had to remove a real wrap yet. Havent lost a vane or shot one off. Ive removed the NAP Quikfletch before from my arrows. Just held a utility blade flat against the shaft and zipped off a strip of the wrap and they just peel off. Wiped the residue with an alcohol pad and re-wrapped them. Im not sure if real wraps will be that simple, but shouldnt be too difficult to remove.

· Registered
4,552 Posts
Very easy to remove wraps. Either a heat gun on the lower setting or a hair dryer. I use a heat gun. Just removed a few the other day. I then gently wiped the shaft with Goo-Gone and the shaft looks perfect, like new. It's when you actually remove the wrap that you realize that you made the right choice going with wraps! Until that moment, you kind of second guess it.

Here is a video of how simple the removal is (even easier with a heat gun):

http://www.onestringer.com/index.php?page=mods/Video/gen_flv&vidid=9

· Registered
4,736 Posts
Very easy to remove wraps. Either a heat gun on the lower setting or a hair dryer. I use a heat gun. Just removed a few the other day. I then gently wiped the shaft with Goo-Gone and the shaft looks perfect, like new. It's when you actually remove the wrap that you realize that you made the right choice going with wraps! Until that moment, you kind of second guess it.

Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a try when I have to re-fletch some arrows.

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ditto! Thanks for the tip Sgt.

· Registered
843 Posts
You can always cut a little of the wraps if they are too long. I use 4" Bohning Blazer wraps for my 3" Fusion vanes. The Bohning wraps peel off very easily for me when I need to refletch, so I use them. And I can get them at several local stores.

· Registered
22 Posts
Once you go Wrap you'll never go back!!

I make Custom Wraps, I got a friend to try them... He's addicted to them now. I've made several different ones for him now. Easy way to tell your different arrows apart!

· Registered
1,258 Posts
bright colored wraps make it easy to find a stray arrow, as well as being much easier to fletch, especially when it comes time to get them off. not as likely to damage your arrow, and they look good. i use 6" for my 2" blazers and 3" fusions .

· Registered
7,265 Posts
I shoot 4" feathers and used 7" wraps for years. I've now gone to 5" wraps, but only because I'm a freak for high FOC.

I do like to leave 1/4" or so between the wrap and my nock bushing --- just so I can see that there's no shaft damage.

Best of luck to you.

· US ARMY
963 Posts
I make my own out of some vinal I got from a sign shop. Same exact stuff form the stores just got peices for free and cut them myself.

· Registered
7,265 Posts
I make my own out of some vinal I got from a sign shop. Same exact stuff form the stores just got peices for free and cut them myself.
Me too!

I have enough material stacked up to last all of AT for 39 years! It's free and all you need is some sort of paper cutter. Just ask, and they'll give you more than you can ever use. All sorts of fancy designs? Well, no. But every color and cool pattern you can imagine. Good stuff.

Best of luck to you.

· Registered
86 Posts
I use boiling water to remove my wraps. I dip the wrap in the water for 10-15 seconds then start peeling the wrap down at the overlap point just to get the wrap started maybe 1/2 an inch or so, then I dip it back in the boiling water for 20-30 seconds....usually the next time out it peels right off. I use Onestringer as well, I have bought 7-8 dozen from them in the past 6-8 months they are a great company. Customer service is awesome. The reason I do it in two steps is so i can get a good grip on the wrap while the arrow is still hot. Speed is key it cools off faster then I thought it would. Then I use PB Blaster decal remover to clean the arrow. So far no problems at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.