Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

First thread here. Just started shooting a few months ago, logged about 100 hours at the range and in my backyard, about the same amount of YouTube videos and practicing in the car at stop lights. I'm straight-up addicted to this sport. I'm looking to upgrade my 62" 40# SAS Spyder beginner bow (draw length, about 27" for a short Asian guy, using a flemish fast flight string, wire elevated rest) to a more advanced trad bow (ideally something like the TradTech Titan III) same poundage and total length (19" ILF riser plus medium limbs to make 62"). Should I still be able to use the same arrows from one bow to another? From what I understand, spine is rated according to draw length and limb poundage more than anything else.

·
Cato
4,093 Posts
First of all, you probably want to look down at the traditional forum. Down there you will find many more fingers recurve type shooters.

Short answer; yes, assuming the same shooter. The ideal spine will normally be influenced by the draw weight of the bow, the length of your actual draw, the length of the arrow, and the point weight. So if your new bow is the same draw weight, and you do not change your draw length, and the arrow was properly matched to the first bow, it should shoot out of the new bow. One caveat is that some bows with faster design and more high tech strings might call for a little heavier spine.

Here is a thread that might be helpful.

https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1972324

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am far from an expert but I have two different arrows for my recurve and one hits dead center and groups amazing (longer arrow, weaker spine), the other hits 3 feet high and two feet left ( shorter arrow stiffer spine )......

So until you try it..☺

·
(aka lug nut)
49,651 Posts
I am far from an expert but I have two different arrows for my recurve and one hits dead center and groups amazing (longer arrow, weaker spine), the other hits 3 feet high and two feet left ( shorter arrow stiffer spine )......

So until you try it..☺
Your shorter arrow needs HEAVIER points. As you increase the point weight on the SHORTER stiffer arrow, the shorter stiffer arrow will hit CLOSER to the point of aim (Right Handed shooter, arrow behaving TOO STIFF, the too STIFF arrow will miss more and more LEFT) for a FINGERS shooter.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,651 Posts
Hello!

First thread here. Just started shooting a few months ago, logged about 100 hours at the range and in my backyard, about the same amount of YouTube videos and practicing in the car at stop lights. I'm straight-up addicted to this sport. I'm looking to upgrade my 62" 40# SAS Spyder beginner bow (draw length, about 27" for a short Asian guy, using a flemish fast flight string, wire elevated rest) to a more advanced trad bow (ideally something like the TradTech Titan III) same poundage and total length (19" ILF riser plus medium limbs to make 62"). Should I still be able to use the same arrows from one bow to another? From what I understand, spine is rated according to draw length and limb poundage more than anything else.
Order a 8125 custom built continuous loop bowstring for your Titan III bow. Tell your custom recurve bowstring maker, what nock you plan to use, and they can custom size the center serving to properly fit your nock. Highly recommend the Easton large groove g-nock and any of the Easton arrows, of course, in the proper spine rating, and the proper arrow tube length. Get an arrow with inserts installed, so you can switch up the point weight, by screwing in a different point weight field point, to dial in your dynamic spine...(means bareshafts and fletched are hitting together).

·
(aka lug nut)
49,651 Posts
Hello!

Since you are using an elevated wire rest, HIGHLY recommend you learn how to use and tune a plunger button. Makes tuning SOOOOO much easier than shooting without a plunger button.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you are using an elevated wire rest, HIGHLY recommend you learn how to use and tune a plunger button. Makes tuning SOOOOO much easier than shooting without a plunger button.
Thanks for the tips!

I have a Shibuya DX Plunger on deck, and I have a good local shop with some recurve guys that offered to help me tune.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First of all, you probably want to look down at the traditional forum. Down there you will find many more fingers recurve type shooters.

Short answer; yes, assuming the same shooter. The ideal spine will normally be influenced by the draw weight of the bow, the length of your actual draw, the length of the arrow, and the point weight. So if your new bow is the same draw weight, and you do not change your draw length, and the arrow was properly matched to the first bow, it should shoot out of the new bow. One caveat is that some bows with faster design and more high tech strings might call for a little heavier spine.

Here is a thread that might be helpful.
Thanks for the tips and thread!
I'll have to pour through the Trad forums

1 - 8 of 8 Posts