Archery Talk Forum banner

Using ASA 14 Rings during club shoots and league?

563 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Sniper1
This year our archery club starting using 14's in our league and club shoots... My theory behind this was to save on the twelve rings, which usually get blown out pretty quick... Also, myself and other club members shoot a couple ASA Pro/Ams a year, so I thought it would be good practice for us. I remember when the ASA did this they had various reasons for it, but I don't remember exactly what they were... The problem I am running into is that some guys think the 14's only benefit the better shooters and seperate them even more from the average to below average shooters... I thought the ASA believed that using 14's would help even out the scores because of the possible 5's and 8's that would be shot while going for the 14... So does anyone know if this is true and if so, does the ASA believe this is working?

Thank you in advance for any replies or feedback,

Mike Miller
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
778 Posts
Your better shooters may have more confidence to shoot at them, but on most targets the 14 ring is bigger than the 12 so technically it shoudl be easier it hit :)

I wish our clubs would put them in play, I need practice aiming for them as I somehow usually find myself in the 5 when I go for them.

· Registered
3,315 Posts
Yeah, right...

One of the primary reasons the ASA put the 14s in play was to reduce on target wear for the targets that were set closer, ie 35 yards and under.

Personally, I love having the 14s in play....
I must be shooting in the wrong ASA tournaments, because in Mississippi, on my range there were a total of 2 targets all weekend that were closer than 35 yards! So much for target wear! LOL:D

· Registered
4,587 Posts
Or club hosted an ASA State Qualifier this past weekend and we used the 14 ring because we have 17 McKenzie targets. The Coalition that out club belongs to dosen't use the 14 ring so we score it when we can. It's a nice little change though.

· Registered
732 Posts
I must be shooting in the wrong ASA tournaments, because in Mississippi, on my range there were a total of 2 targets all weekend that were closer than 35 yards! So much for target wear! LOL:D
What class did you shoot in, that seems pretty stout to me!

· Registered
327 Posts
Trying for the 14 ring will make you a better shooter. You have to judge your distance closer for if you miss it you may get 8 or 5. Makes me try harder which is a good thing. And yes it helps with the target ware, it puts more shots out of the what you would call the kill zone. My $.02

· Banned
2,185 Posts
If a shooter or team are behind in score, or a team mate is in the 12, you can go for the 14.
With both Rinehart and McKenzie now making "Universal Vitals" that have both IBO and ASA scoring rings, it could change the game at Club Shoots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.