Archery Talk Forum banner

Using bikes (mountain/bmx)

3K views 28 replies 27 participants last post by  2arrow1 
#1 ·
Anyone use a bike for moving through the woods? I read in a couple of places that it was effective, but I was wondering if any bikers (mountian bikes, BMX) had an opinion on scent control, noise and effectiveness. One one hand I heard hat riding a bike keeps your scent off the ground and doen;t spook deer becase it doesn't sound like steps. Any comment welcome. I also read about using one in "hunting heavily pressured WHitetails"

Thanks.

#2 ·
I read a post once on some gun hunting forum that a guy used his Mtn. bike to get to/from his tree stand. He said it worked great because it was faster for him to get to the blind and, like you said, didn't leave any human scent on the ground. I've often thought about it for spot and stalk, but I think it's too impractical. Plus I'm not in that good of shape to bike up and down mountains all day long. If you can do it, I'd say try it. Nothing like getting some extra exercise while hunting.

#4 ·
I have considered using a mountain bike in certain situations. A good mountain bike can be very quite, its the terrain you ride on that makes the noise. If you can't camp somewhat close to the area you want to hunt then you could consider a bike to get you to the general area quicker. If you hunt an area that doesn't allow motorized travel then you have another option. Just my thoughts.

#5 ·
I've hunted grouse from my Mtn bike. It works great, I just put my shotgun on a sling and hit the gravel trails. I've seen deer while doing this so it must not spook them much. Give it a try, what the heck. If it don't work what are you out a days hunt?

#8 ·
For public land where atv's are not alllowed , a bicycle can be the way to go if all possible..I know down here in my younger days I used my mountainbike on public land alot :) 7 mile ride in about a hour , will get you away from a lot of other hunters :darkbeer:

#9 ·
I use my Trek 4300 for bowhunting and spring gobbler season. I use the ATV racks (Mad Dog I think) on the handle bars and have a seat post rack with bungee cords for additional gear.

I ride with my treestand on my back in the fall and keep my bow on the handle bars.

This year I will be experimenting with a Tree Saddle. I think I will keep that, my bow, sticks, and clothes all in my Badlands 2200 and just peddle in.

I just stick with logging roads and trails open to bike travel. Venturing off the trails can be very difficult if not impossible for steering and traction.

#10 ·
I use one. Mine is kind of a beach cruiser with gears so I sit more upright. It is camoed up and I bought a nice and bright LED for the front. I sling the bow or gun over the shoulder and pedel. I have a rear cargo rack with a basket wired down so I can put stuff in it. I was able to cover a 1.5 miles down a walk in only gate in less than 10 minutes and didnt break a sweat.

I have mainly used mine on limerock bask roads. I know that sugar sand is out of the questions. If you camo it, you can just dump it in the bushes and come get it later.

#11 ·
I have mostly used one for getting way back on gated roads here in the mountains. They work great. You will need a head light for before daylight and after dark. I have also hauled deer out on a bike. You gut the deer and put the body cavity over the seat and the head and front feet over the handlebars. You need some kind of rack over the back wheel so you can keep the deer off the back wheel. Also some rope and some bungie cords to keep the deer in place. On down hill runs you can straddle the deer and coast and really cover some ground in a hurry. I have walked logs left from the old railroad where they crossed small branches. You get your feet wet crossing streams any size. Have fun.

#13 ·
yeah, they work great. Also works good if you have to pass by deer before daylight. They don't seem to associate the sound of the wheels rolling as danger, or not as much as the familiar sound and rythm of human footsteps.

#16 ·
mtn bike

I used to ride trails back in my rifle hunting days and deer were not the only animals you could sneek up on. An elk blocking the trail can really get your attention. I've heard of cougar and bear attacks but the scariest I've seen are of the two legged variety. Day dreaming hunters have swung their rifles on me more than once. I recomend installing a bell. But most of all have fun, I know I did.

#18 ·
Sometimes for scounting I use a bike on the plains here. I hardly ever take it off of trails though. There are way to many cactus. I wonder if some of those nopuncture tires would be good? I always stay away from them cause to me they seem like they would be heavy...

One think that the bike can be extremely useful for is if you have a planned hike and can link up to another road where yu leave the mountain bike hidden somewhere. The ride back to your truck. That can work extremely well in our area.

#19 ·
I have pondered the notion for a while now and last month purchased a Mountain Bike. I've already put a Blackburn rack on the back, and plan on using either a backpack for carrying my bow or a home made sling/straps. I think the bike shakes to much to carry it on the handle bars.

From what I've read a LED light on the handlebars plus a headlamp is the way to go concerning lighting. That lights up where the bikes is going and where you are looking.

I'm going to start on a trailer next week. I'm going to try bending some conduit for the frame them some heavy canvas or wire mesh. I'll look something like a Bob Trailer but longer and stronger.

Several companies are making bow scabbards and holders for bikes now, but to me they look like the are not stabil enough.

Right now my bike is Margarita Lime Green, I was going to paint it matte black. But here lately I've been thinking of having it dipped, I think APG HD would look awesome. I'm a little worried about the cost.

I also considered an adult Tricycle for hunting before I bought my bike, anybody else thinking along those lines?

http://valdosta.craigslist.org/bik/1147122209.html

Imagine that in camo, with a larger basket on the back, MTB tires, gun/bow rack and a light bar. Am I just crazy?

#22 ·
i actualy just finshed painting mine up the other day!! It looks real sweet and if i have time tammrow i will throw some pics up!! Reason i did it is beacuse there are quad trails that run all threw the city that my cottage is in only problem is a bout 5 years ago they closed them down to anything with a motor... So i figure this might help me get away from the few hunters who have stands around wher ei usualy go! ONly thing is so of the more secluded trails are over grown but i might do a little landscapping this summer!

#23 ·
Just picked up an old school tandem road bike for $10 on CL. Put new tires, tubes and rim liner on it. The only other thing it needed was a chain from the front sprocket to the second sprocket which I got for free from my neighbor.

I took the rear seat off and lowered the handlebars to horizontal. The climbing stand fit nicely on the handlebars while the seat post through the bottom steel mesh held the whole thing firmly in place. I put a cooler on with a ratchet strap and was fine driving on gravel.

Tires are a little narrow though. We'll see how she holds up in the woods. I mostly travel on graded limestone roads. No off road. But I can see where I could get deep into the woods a lot faster than walking.

Let me know if anyone wants to see a pic.

#25 ·
we use bikes to get into areas that are far from the road. one place is 4-5 miles and another is 6-7 miles in. my hunting buddy is stronger than me so he pulles the burly filled with all our gear.
the best part is if we get and elk down,we can get it out in one trip and the 6-7 mile ride only takes one hour to get out!

#27 ·
Did I score or what?

The last couple weeks I've been seriously thinking of using a bike to hunt with next year.......as I do every year after a sad elk season.

I've spent most of my life riding Mtn.and BMX,so was hard pressed to convince myself into buying a cheap $100 mountain bike,once you've riden a top quality bike, that stuff won't do.....sorry guys it's the truth.The thought of using my cruiser(BMX) on those long uphills with a single speed? No way!

___----____----____----____----____----____----____----____

Well late this afternoon I picked my daughter up from work and driving past a thrift store felt an urge to stop in...."You never know what you might find".

I wandered around a bit and headed over to the outdoor stuff hoping to find something of interest.

I saw the bikes and almost didn't walk over after seeing a Huffy on the end of the row.But I thought what the heck it can't hurt.

Ten minutes later I walked out of the store.......having spent $45.00.

And this is what I got......

View attachment 693009
Deore componentes!

View attachment 693011
Needs a couple tubes and a tuneup.

View attachment 693013

View attachment 693016
Ready to pedal as is.

I almost felt like I stole them!

#28 ·
That's about as old school as a Bear Whitetail II from the 80's.

I have a Gary Fisher Tassajara that's 9 yrs old. It would be good bike to hunt off of, IF, I had a place to ride and hunt. Alas, here in the flat lands, no such place exists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.