Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see occasional discussions about employing the use of elk decoys.
I can think of countless situations where it seemed that, "if only I had a decoy, things would have developed more favorably for me".
I still think a decoy could be a very useful tool in the right situations.
However, I have a concern regarding their use in areas where numerous hunters are out and about, which is quite common her in the Pacific Northwest.
I would not want to call a hunter in and have that hunter taking shots at my decoy with a chance of (myself or anyone who might be present,) being inadvertently stuck with an arrow. This "could" be very dangerous in the "wrong" situations.
I don't know if any of you have had the occasion to be likewise concerned, so if not, maybe this will serve as a "heads up".
May common sense prevail.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I have used Montana elk decoys in AZ during the archery season. I believe that's what they were made for, not gun season. They work well and a bowhunter will know a decoy from a real elk. There really is no problem with using them.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I've used them a little here in Montana, with varied levels of success. What I have found is that with my style of hunting, they are more of a pain in the arse than they are worth. About time I get it set up and move away, the Elk sounds off and I have to gather it up and reposition myself. I can honestly say I have never killed an Elk while using one, but they have been effective at bringing elk in closer in certain circumstances. I have killed the vast majority of my Elk by remaining aggressive and on the move.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The Elk Mountain Slip System is very simple to relocate, you can "run and gun" with it. The decoys work beautifully. However, I would recommend using it as a "Stalking Shield" only in the open, and not during gun seasons, to include muzzleloaders.

For setups on a bull, the best method is to spike it in the ground, and move out in front of it anywhere from 30 to 100 yards, depending on where the elk are coming from. If you have 2 guys, leave one back at the decoy as the caller, and get the shooter out front

You can switch out the Slipcover in less than a minute to convert to camo, or any other decoy pattern

Best of Luck,
Jeff (AT Sponsor)
www.elkmtngear.com

·
Registered
526 Posts
I snuck up on a spike 2 years ago with a decoy. I kept walking at 45 degree angles towards him. Got to 15 yards away in the wide open. he had started looking at me about 60 yards away. My brother got it on camera. It's posted on YouTube. Under Oregon archery elk. I don't know the link.

I think they can come in handy, but I am on the move quite a bit and they can be a nuisance.

·
Me encanta cazar
772 Posts
Yep

I have used the Montana Cow elk decoy for a couple of years now and had I not seen how effective they were I wouldnt believe it. We hunt in a group of usually 4 guys, one guy calls, one guy holds the decoy and either one or two shooters. We trade duties as we kill elk. The caller is the furtherst back and the shooters are the furthest forward which works well if you see a herd and are trying to bring them to you. I had a lead cow walk past me at around 5yds and walk within 15 yrds of the decoy and pace back and forth for several minutes, a little later in the same herd two spikes walked past me at about the same distance and as they passed me the wind shifted in a matter that they winded me just as they passed me, they turned and looked right at me and barked a couple of times and then focused back on the decoy and the calling and walked straight at the decoy. The herd bull followed in last skirting in and out of the trees focusing on the decoy and the calling.
When you are running and gunning so to speak we put the person holding the decoy up front and if you get in on them the decoy works well as a distraction so the shooter can draw his bow, I took a shot at a great bull using this method and the bull didnt budge untill after the arrow passed him (I missed) untill then though he couldnt take his eyes off the decoy, he was pretty stressed as there were a few bulls around that were constantly harrasing him. In short I swear by them as long as there are a few people in the hunting party to make the best use of them.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,524 Posts
I've killed more than a few elk with these decoys and called many more.

I did have a guy in your home state while I was hunting Mt Adams come in to the decoys. When I walked over to him he kept telling me to get down "There are elk RIGHT THERE" I explained those were my decoys but he swears there were elk there a few minutes ago. I suppose there is a bit of a safety concern especially in the hard hunted Wash.

I can tell you those elk where you are have been called alot and even with a decoy you have to be pretty good.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Will be trying one this year also. Bought the montana decoy cow "butt". Have alot of bulls hang up at 80- 100 yards. I'm hoping a visual will help with this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use Instant Elk Decoys,
have used them while gun, muzzy, and bow hunting.
in gun season I place orange trail tape on their bellies hanging down
elk don't see color and to them it would appear like sticks
or weeds.
you do not sit next to them anyway.
the idea is to have the elk focus in on the elk decoys
typicaly sit off the side and 15 to 20 yards and infront of it in the direction I think the elk are going to come from
maybe 35 yards.
elk generaly will walk the easiest rout to your call, circling down wind.
now this could be either up hill or down hill depending on wind flow.
this is typ. they like to leave the hard rout to excape by.
Suck your self up next to a tree or rock and try to blend in.
don't put large obsticals in front of you. you stand in front of them.
beleave me they will focus on the decoy and look right thru you.
we typ. hunt i pairs, who gets the first shot is a flip of the coin.
the caller typicaly sets back 30 + yards and stays moderitly concealed
he moves around at first while calling along with you calling this helps to sound like a small herd of cow working the.
and this also allowes the back caller to stay inline thru the decoy with the apporaching bull,
thous keeping the bull focused on the decoy.
i came up with instant elk idea 11 years ago.
and 7 years ago sold a few.
now I'm selling them, full fledged.
company name and all,you can find that just by going on the internet and looking up INSTANT ELK DECOY
I'll put my reputation on these decoys.
I live to hunt elk.
I'm using instant elk decoys this year, how about you.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
I'm thinking of trying one this year.

Super low pressure, super high bull/cow ratio. Probably overkill, but couldn't hurt.:smile:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Havent seen your decoys elkmaster, but I have been checking out the Heads Up Decoy's, which seem real light and perfect for the backpacking, ultralight style I'll be using in the Carson this fall. Have never used one before, but am giving it some serious consideration. Will check out yours as well.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I have a friend that makes them and I have never used one. Something I should try.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Elk Decoys work! The herd of Roosevelt Elk in the above video is at 15 yards!

We have walked around feeding elk with 2 guys behind one of our systems, without alarming or spooking the herd.

It is very lightweight, and has a multitude of uses. You just buy a different cover, depending on what you are hunting (elk, pronghorn, waterfowl, deer, etc), and the covers change out in a matter of seconds.

One of the best things about it is the ability to use it as a trekking pole for rough country.

Sometimes a decoy can seal the deal for you on elk. It's great to always be prepared.

Best of Luck,
Jeff (AT Sponsor)
www.elkmtngear.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts