Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I need everyones opinion. I am headed back to Missouri for a diy hunt. I was there last year and saw a lot of great bucks. This year we are going back again but I was wondering should I run 2-3 trail cameras while I am there. I am taking a run and gun stand so no issues with being mobile. Please let me know your thoughts. Just trying to arrow a Midwest giant. Thanks Joe

·
Registered
707 Posts
If you are MO hunting department of conservation land make sure you check each areas regulations on if you can use trail cameras. I know that the conservation areas I hunt they are not permitted. I don’t know about National Forrest land though.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Ok guys, I need everyones opinion. I am headed back to Missouri for a diy hunt. I was there last year and saw a lot of great bucks. This year we are going back again but I was wondering should I run 2-3 trail cameras while I am there. I am taking a run and gun stand so no issues with being mobile. Please let me know your thoughts. Just trying to arrow a Midwest giant. Thanks Joe
My opinion, friend: Midwest Giants aren’t found everywhere. If you’re talking about a true 160”+ whitetail, you’re going to need to hire somebody who knows where such a deer already exists, and has the ability to put you on him. Pre-season scouting and hours of glassing are the best way to find the daddy deer. If you’re talking a respectable deer, you’re good to go with DIY, but for a true Monarch of the forest, it’s going to be like hitting the lottery no matter how many cameras you run.

Personally, I am shying away more and more from the thought of trail cameras; they mentally diminish the value of the deer you do see, and create a lot of invasive stomping around and scent dispersal. Good luck either way!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am definitely after a true Midwest giant. I looking to only learn patterns as quickly as I can. I saw a 170+ deer last year but only to watch him at 60+ yards.

·
Registered
17,345 Posts
Only way I'd use a camera on a diy hunt is if it was a cell camera, I'd think going in to check deer patterns and putting pressure in a area to check cams would due more harm then good.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If you're hunting a giant then yeah you'll be covering lots of ground, looking at a whole bunch of spots. When you find a promising spot you'd be foolish to not set up a cam. You can't hunt every place so you have to narrow it down somehow. As mentioned there is risk of blowing out an area by using a cam, but you'll blow it out by scouting, too. Hunting giants is not easy. They may as well live in castles with alligator filled moats surrounding them, sleeping through the day in a coffin and turning into bats that only fly around at night. It's tough. Cameras can help. Use them.

·
Registered
924 Posts
If it were me, I would take them. However, I would not use them for this year's hunt. You'll put your scent all over the countryside checking and trying to always be in the right place. ..only to be a step behind.

I would take them, post them for the duration of the hunt and then look through the pictures for intel for the following year for travel routes, buck tendencies in the area, etc.

If you're just bouncing around trying different areas year to year, most likely I wouldn't bother with it then.

·
Registered
9,777 Posts
Only way I'd use a camera on a diy hunt is if it was a cell camera, I'd think going in to check deer patterns and putting pressure in a area to check cams would due more harm then good.
My opinion exactly.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Depends on what time of year you’re going. Using cams won’t change the way you need to hunt. If early season then morning hunts are pretty much out, you’ll jump him and won’t see him again. If rut then you’re hunting the does and bucks could literally be anywhere at anytime.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Unless your're using cell cameras, I believe you're wasting your time checking cams when you could be in a stand. Then there's also the "dammit I should have been in this stand" moments you'll have to deal with....

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
I runs cams all season, check them regularly and we kill deer that the cameras help us pattern every year!

Bring a couple and set em up, check a few days in you may just get lucky, at the very least you can eliminate a spot if the activity isn’t great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I runs cams all season, check them regularly and we kill deer that the cameras help us pattern every year!

Bring a couple and set em up, check a few days in you may just get lucky, at the very least you can eliminate a spot if the activity isn’t great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Winner winner chicken dinner!!! I remember the days before cameras. A guy could waste a lot of hours hunting areas that simply don't hold the deer he thinks should be there according to having scouted the sign. 3.5yr old 130" bucks makes the same sign as a 5.5yr 160" bucks. On a limited time hunt, knowing which is which can mean the difference in tagging out or just watching deer that you don't want to shoot. If i'm going 4 states away I don't want to sit in a stand and watch random deer. I want to find out right away where the brute is so I can get straight to the point of my trip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts