Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make fletching for their arrows with wild turkeys they have harvested? I have saved some of the wings from the turkeys I kill. I cut some feathers with a razor knife and a good pair of scissors. The only problem is the base or quill may not be the same thickness when I get done. Does anyone do this and what is the best way to do it? I was thinking of getting a feather chopper and give it a try. That would definitely help with keeping all the same size/shape. But I'm still wondering about the base of the feather.

Any help would be appreciated.
Billy

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
That's what I shoot as long as I have enough feather not to have to get the store bought ones. I split them with a box knife and use an old fletching clamp to hold the feather for grinding. I use a dremel for that and work to stay as consistent as I can. I use a feather burner for shaping and what I end up with is my version of a 4.5" shield cut. Put 'em on with a helical clamp and fletch tape and let 'em rip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just finished making some flu-flus with full-size turkey feathers cut to 5". I just split them with a sharp knife, put them in my fletching clamp and sanded and trimmed to the proper base size. Not too hard after a little practice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot for the info guys. I'm going to trying to sand some. I saw a commercial grinding rig, that gave me an idea. My step-dad makes cabinets. He's got a big belt sander that should work great if i rig up a clamp. I'd hate to accidentally grind down my fletching jig clamp. I think I can make something to hold the feather with some wood or corion scraps and a clamp.

Thanks again,
Billy

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
wing2.jpg
I purchased a chopper and started doing my own with wild turkeys. Made a jig to hold the feather while sanding down the quill. Very nice feather when complete and is a lot of fun to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts