Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys im on my first trip to hunt them. This is going to be a huge thing for me since i've never been outside my home state to hunt anything except for a NC turkey trip .

I have a couple questions for the elk vet's .

First of all the hunt will take place 28 Aug - 06 Sept. Around Schofield

Since i live in the south all i have is rubber boots and a pair of snake boots to hunt in ... SOOO im looking at the Danner jackal's and was wondering if anyone had any experiance with them ?

http://www.danner.com/product/hunting+boots/uninsulated/jackal+gtx+hunting+boots.do

Also do any of you put togather your own personal first aid kid or do you buy one of the ready made ones ? Im going to make my own and was looking for options and what you guys put in yours .

Clothing ? What can i expect this time of year there cool/cold early mornings with warmer temps mid day to afternoon ?

Will try and add more when i can .

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Well I'll be the first to welcome you to Utah!!! :shade:

You should have a great time...did you draw a limited-entry bull tag? Or just chasing cows and spikes? Either way you're going to love elk hunting.

As far as weather out here that time of year, you can expect cool to cold overnight and early in the morning, with anything from warm to very hot during the peak of the day.

Are you coming out solo or with buddies?

Let me know if there's any other questions I can help out with! :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot , well i did put in for a LE Bull tag but im not expecting to grab one on my first try , either way im going hunting cows or bulls this is the most excited i have ever been about anything in a long time .

I will be going with some buddies that live in price that have benn kind enough to envite me up to stay with them in their camp. They are going out of their way to help me with this .

But at times i feel like im asking them way to many questions lol they just keep telling me your gonna be fine just roll with it and have fun .

·
Registered
288 Posts
i am from Utah and have a great deal of time spent around Scofield.
The boots that you are looking at will be perfect. They look to be light weight but waterproof. It is going to be HOT during the day on your hunt. You can get the dew in the morning that will get your boots wet if not water proof but will be warm during the day and a heavy insulated boot would be too much. That time of year is known for it's monsoonal micro burst thunder showers in the afternoons but clear out as fast as they came in. I would have a light rain coat to pack but do not plan on heavy rain gear for the most part. It is very dry and hot typically at that time. There are quite a few elk in that area and should be good hunting. The bulls are not bugling that early or talking a whole lot. Are you hunting spikes and cows or do you have a limeted entry bull tag?.............Sounds fun!

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Congrats on your tag!
As far as a first aid kit, bring some bandades, duct tape, athletic tape, etc. for blisters. Also super glue works very well for closing cuts when in a pinch. Don't forget to get in shape prior to the hunt, you will enjoy it much more. :darkbeer:
Good luck!!!

Lien2

·
A Man for All Seasons
2,713 Posts
utah elk

congrats on the draw.

you are hooked and don't know it yet.
good luck

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am also from Utah and I have hunted alot in that area. The advice you have received so far is right on. A few other things to think about are: You will not be alone as that is a popular area. There are alot of elk however. You should go father and deeper to get away from the crowds and you will have a good hunt. In most areas water at that time of the year will be important however it is all over the place and they have too many options available to water at unless you can find a really good spot. My son and I each shot a cow there last year and had a great time. Good luck!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks alot guys im so looking forward to geting there . Im going to get as far back in as i can and hunt as hard as i can . They told me they would take it easy on me the first day or two . But to get ready to walk alot of miles .

Im a good sport and a very active person i stay on my feet all week long at my job and i know the elevation will play a big factor on my as well as the hills . Going to go into the hunt with a open mind and stay as optimistic as i can .

Any advice on Rainwear ? Somthing light that will fit over my outter layer ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Brad.... I use light rainwear for my outer layer usually during archery elk season. My reccomendations is something light, quiet, and breathable. I would highly reccomend looking for something very light weight and breathable for your base layer. I wear vented/mesh pants and long sleve tee. It's chilly in the morning when you leave camp but you're working hard and it won't take long to start sweating if you've got too much on. I usually start hiking with just the vented gear on and am cold. Within 10 minutes I'm comfortable. I usually pull the rain gear out when I stop hiking and setup to glass or call. Using the rainwear as your outer layer save weight and space in your pack.

For boots, as others have said, you want light, comfortable, and waterproof. I've heard good things about Danner boots, but have never tried them myself. My personal experience with boots made by "hunting companies" has been negative. I've found shoes made by companies like Merrell, North Face, Montrail, and other hiking companies have served me better.

Good luck. Hunting will never be the same after this fall!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Congratulations, the area around Scofield is gorgeous. Bring your float tube and fly rod! Be prepared to not want to leave. Best of luck.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Brad.... I use light rainwear for my outer layer usually during archery elk season. My reccomendations is something light, quiet, and breathable. I would highly reccomend looking for something very light weight and breathable for your base layer. I wear vented/mesh pants and long sleve tee. It's chilly in the morning when you leave camp but you're working hard and it won't take long to start sweating if you've got too much on. I usually start hiking with just the vented gear on and am cold. Within 10 minutes I'm comfortable. I usually pull the rain gear out when I stop hiking and setup to glass or call. Using the rainwear as your outer layer save weight and space in your pack.

For boots, as others have said, you want light, comfortable, and waterproof. I've heard good things about Danner boots, but have never tried them myself. My personal experience with boots made by "hunting companies" has been negative. I've found shoes made by companies like Merrell, North Face, Montrail, and other hiking companies have served me better.

Good luck. Hunting will never be the same after this fall!
Good advice, I do the same thing. I agree with the boots also, look for a high quality gortex all leather backpacking boot, or dayhiking boot if you will have horses to pack the Elk out.

If you haven't already, now is a good time to start a regular exercise routine. The better shape you are in the more you will enjoy your hunt. If you've never had a lot of weight on your back and you will be packing your own elk out, i sugest loading up a frame pack with a bag of rock salt and breaking your body in slowly, then increasing weight over the course of the summer. Your level of physical fitness is much more likely to make or break your experience than your gear.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Your going to have the elk bug bad after hunting them! Like stated above start getting in some exercise to get you ready for the mountians out here. Also do a lot of shooting to 50yds or better out west you usually don't get those 20yds shots. My average after taking 34 elk is between 30-40yds. Get some good socks that will wick away the moisture because when it's warm your feet will definitely sweat. Good luck!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I havent hunted Utah but have hunted NM for the last 30 years, seems like your getting good suggestions. One thing that I always bring is some chapstick/carmex, seems that it is often overlooked. It is generally very dry out west. You'll be glad you did:)

·
OWN YOUR SHOT!
3,465 Posts
Cool

Hey I live in Price and hunt scofield every year for deer and elk, you should have a great time you will probably see alot of elk but depending on the weather they might be bugling or not. What is you buddies names that you are camping with I bet I know them. Anyway have a good time and also check into the Danner Pronghorns they do a great job and me and my buddies have been wearing them for the last couple of years and they have been really comfortable.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I would look at the Medalist line for your light weight rain gear. It is 100% waterproof and windproof and also it is made for scent control with the silvermax line. IMO you can't beat this stuff. I would look at the Silvermax Max Packable Jacket and Pants. Here is their website:

www.medalist.com

·
Registered
288 Posts
As for Rain Gear, I would have some gortex camo for a "rain day" and leave it in camp unless it is a rain day. I would have just a plastic poncho to cover yourself in a hurry that you can pack with you very lightly. Those micro burst thunderstorms can be a down pour but usually very brief.

·
Speed Thrills and Kills
4,697 Posts
im planning a trip this year to CO for Elk and i looked at that same boot the Jackle and i didnt care much for the tread on it.....i dont know how Utah is as far as terrain but with the mountains in CO i figured i needed somethin with some tread was the only reason i didnt get them...i tried them on and they are a really nice boot for sure but i ended up going with the Cabelas Speed Hunters uninsulated and the Danner Kestrels 400gr insulated

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
AS far as medical kits, check out Adventure Medical Kits. I have a couple of them and they're pretty slick. They also make some lightweight bivvy style blankets that also can be used as your roof, bivvy sack, blanket.

And good luck on your hunt. It's all over once you go elk hunting. Nothing compares to it in my opinion.

·
Registered
540 Posts
As long as the boots fit right and are broken in, water resistant, and comfortable for long periods they will work fine. Like has already been stated nights will be cool with day time highs you will find down right comfortable considering where you’re coming from. Some really light compact rain gear and a light jacket that can be stuffed in you day pack can be handy. I just carry a cheep pre packed first aid kit and then added some antibiotic cream and extra Band-Aids. Beyond that you may want to spend a little time on the stair master at the gym. Some people have problems adjusting to the altitude and then consider the terrain and a little preperation may prove prudent. Good luck.

·
Banned
2,992 Posts
Good luck Brad! We're planning a trip into Idaho a few weeks after your hunt. We're posting all or learnings on a blog: Operation Idaho Check it out and contact us if you want to compare notes and what not. Good luck to you!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts