Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
You can buy elk tags over the counter. The archery elk hunt only has about two weeks left. The rifle elk starts in october and the muzzle loader elk is first of november. Archery has an unlimited amount of tags. Rifle and mzl will sellout by end of september. There are no deer tags OTC unless there are leftovers after the draw. I believe they are all gone.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Definitely wouldn't say the OTC tags are a "scam." The open bull areas are tough, but if a guy is looking for a fun hunt and would like to fill the freezer an OTC tag can be the ticket!! You can hunt cows or spikes on some of the best limited-entry elk units in the world. Can't chase the big boys, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun to be there! I've killed a bunch of elk with OTC Utah tags.

Better choices out there...Colorado, Idaho, etc...for hunting bulls OTC, but Utah elk tags are available and a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
when we went all branch antler bulls were broke saw lots of spikes and cows but nothing worth shooting to me .like said could be a good meat hunt but if your lookn for antlers guna be tuff.my hunt was a late hunt thats when i saw the most .but iv been over twice for early hunts they were tough

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
you can buy an OTC archery elk tag that is good statewide with unlimited amounts of tags. There are regulations though and you can only hunt bulls larger than a spike in a couple of units like the Wasatch Front. There are elk there but you have to hunt hard and hike several miles deep to get to them. For the rest of the state, you can hunt MOST big bull draw units and shoot a cow or a spike, which is not nearly as easy as it sounds. Any elk with archery equipment is considered a trophy in my book.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts